Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ACF Website

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I am wonder if we can ask the chess players to do a little survey what they think of the website...i had another look at it today and err...
    I'm more interested in whether information is being published, thanks to David Esmonde for his efficiency in assisting. There are definitely improvements to be made but i dont see this as much of a priority to be honest.

CC International Master
    The front page of the ACF Website is now full of relevant information! Thank-you to David Esmonde for placing photos and news of the four winning schools at The Australian Schools Finals from Saturday November 30 and Sunday December 1 up on the website! News about the upcoming Australian Chess championships and Australian Junior Chess Championships are also there as well as information about the upcoming FIDE Arbiter's Seminar! This a big improvement on the out of date imnformation that has been there for ages!

CC Candidate Master
    Some feedback from one of our members...asking for searchable ACF ratings and a mobile friendly site.

To this end we have addressed the first core issue. We had to upgrade auschess to run on php 7.4

You will need to refresh your browser caches if you load an auschess.org.au page and only the heading loads.

Regards - David E

CC Candidate Master
    OK - we have created a searchable ratings page for your comments

The direct url is http://auschess.org.au/acf-master-fi...december-2019/

We have not linked it in to the menus as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iSage View Post

excellent move iSage, thanks and congrats!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It doesn't for me on the first 5 pages either - bit of a worry. That said the Wikipedia link that comes up first has a prominent link to it.
    This is a bit above my pay grade, but I believe that this line in the html of the main page: "<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow' />" may be the problem:
    A ‘noindex’ tag tells search engines not to include the page in search results. ... To tell search engines not to index your page, simply add the following to the </head> section: <meta name=”robots” content=”noindex, follow”>

Quote Originally Posted by iSage View Post

Thank you! Much appreciated. My ACF standard rating has rounded to 1500. Well below the 1666 I used to be in NZ!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    This is a bit above my pay grade, but I believe that this line in the html of the main page: "<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow' />" may be the problem:
    A ‘noindex’ tag tells search engines not to include the page in search results. ... To tell search engines not to index your page, simply add the following to the </head> section: <meta name=”robots” content=”noindex, follow”>
    Yes, and the active theme as well discourages search engine indexing.

I am waiting to chat with Dave Thomas on this and other issues, but at present he is still not in easy contact in China. I am reluctant to change existing structure without the permission to do so.

Premium Member
    There is no listing for a winner of the Koshnitsky Medal for 1997 on the CAQ list.

http://auschess.org.au/honour-boards/

Can anyone shed any light on this?

CC Candidate Master
    Would event organisers interested in adding an event to the website calendar please use http://auschess.org.au/adding-an-eve...e-acf-website/ or email webmaster@auschess.org.au

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    That however raises the secondary problem as to whether or not anyone could find the ACF’s website using a search engine ..... good luck with that.
    So I just tried this and found it easily using multiple different search engines, on multiple different browsers, on multiple different computers, including using incognito mode and while logged out, in every case as the first hit when searching the words:

australian chess federation
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 11-02-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    So I just tried this and found it easily using multiple different search engines, on multiple different browsers, on multiple different computers, including using incognito mode and while logged out, in every case as the first hit when searching the words:

In any case, even if this is a problem, it can be fixed in a couple of minutes by simply submitting it to search engine so not much of an issue
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    The words "ACF chess" are also effective, although "ACF" by itself produces a lot of false positives - as you'd expect.

This issue has been fixed, so it was presumably the cause of the original problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post

CC Candidate Master
    Looking forward to the Doeberl Cup and SIO, still proudly advertised on the front page of the ACF web site and in the general calendar.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    Looking forward to the Doeberl Cup and SIO, still proudly advertised on the front page of the ACF web site and in the general calendar.

Ian, you should have realized that at times Like this, ACF is socially isolating itself from the website .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information