The teacher's pet

I've just finished listening to The Teacher's Pet podcast about the disappearance and probable murder of Lyn Dawson in 1982. Very compelling, I hope they charge him.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Chris Dawson arrested this morning, and expected to be charged with the alleged 1982 murder of his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Chris Dawson arrested this morning, and expected to be charged with the alleged 1982 murder of his wife.
    silly bugger, years ago I would have gone off to a new country with no extradition treaty with Oz - providing he could get a passport etc.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    silly bugger, years ago I would have gone off to a new country with no extradition treaty with Oz - providing he could get a passport etc.
    Apparently he applied for bail, and offered to make his own way from the Goldie down to Sydney for the trial, and stay at his brother's place in Sydney. Judge said yeah nah.

And released on bail today with $1.5m in bond.

He's a twin, so while his passport has been confiscated, I don't think finding a lookalike is going to be a problem.

Chris Dawson charged over allegations of a sexual relationship with student
    June 20, 2019

On the same day he formally pleaded not guilty to murdering his wife Lynette, Chris Dawson was charged over allegations of sexual intercourse with a student in 1980 when he was a teacher at Cromer High School on Sydney's northern beaches.

The former teacher and ex-Newtown Jets player was sensationally charged with his wife's 1982 murder in December last year, and on Thursday entered a formal not guilty plea.

An hour later, detectives from Strike Force Southwood charged Mr Dawson with carnal knowledge by a teacher of a girl between the ages of 10 and 17. ...

Mr Dawson will return to court in August on both sets of charges.

Chris Dawson committed to stand trial for murder of wife Lynette Dawson
    Feb 13 2020

Chris Dawson has been committed to stand trial for the murder of his wife Lynette Dawson nearly 40 years ago.

The 71-year-old faced a four-day committal hearing this week and denies having anything to do with Ms Dawson's disappearance from Sydney's northern beaches in 1982.

A Sydney court heard evidence from four witnesses who claimed to have seen Ms Dawson between three months and two years after she was said to have vanished.

The former Newtown Jets rugby league player will be arraigned in early April. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Chris Dawson was charged over allegations of sexual intercourse with a student in 1980 when he was a teacher at Cromer High School on Sydney's northern beaches. An hour later, detectives from Strike Force Southwood charged Mr Dawson with carnal knowledge by a teacher of a girl between the ages of 10 and 17. ...
    I know nothing of these two cases and am not going to read the article. Will just let the courts sort it out. I am only quoting this section because I am curious how the DPP is going to get around the statute of limitations (SOL). Surely 40 years after the fact is beyond the SOL? There is no SOL for murder, but for a lot of other crimes, charges have to be brought within a certain time frame.

Curious how this is going to work?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    I know nothing of these two cases and am not going to read the article. Will just let the courts sort it out. I am only quoting this section because I am curious how the DPP is going to get around the statute of limitations (SOL). Surely 40 years after the fact is beyond the SOL? There is no SOL for murder, but for a lot of other crimes, charges have to be brought within a certain time frame.

May be there are witnesses that came forward?
    Or Forensic evidence?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post

There is no statute of limitations for sexual assault if the victim was under 18 at the time

https://yla.org.au/nsw/topics/health...exual-assault/

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    There is no statute of limitations for sexual assault if the victim was under 18 at the time

https://yla.org.au/nsw/topics/health...exual-assault/
    Ok. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Or Forensic evidence?
    Ian has answered with a direct link to the law.

Or Forensic evidence?
    In terms of the school girl, she moved into the house and into the bed of the "disappeared" wife within days. They soon married and had their own child. She has testified to all of this.

In terms of the alleged murder, two separate coronial inquests, in 2001 and 2003, both found sufficient evidence to proceed with the murder charge.

As Ian correctly points out, there is no statute of limitations for such crimes.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    In terms of the school girl, she moved into the house and into the bed of the "disappeared" wife within days. They soon married and had their own child. She has testified to all of this.

In terms of the alleged murder, two separate coronial inquests, in 2001 and 2003, both found sufficient evidence to proceed with the murder charge.

As Ian correctly points out, there is no statute of limitations for such crimes.
    I agree and welcome this! Such crimes should never go unpunished! My question was more about ''technicalities'' of the investigation as investigating something that happened 40 years ago is very hard.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

I agree and welcome this! Such crimes should never go unpunished! My question was more about ''technicalities'' of the investigation as investigating something that happened 40 years ago is very hard.
    Yes that is certainly true. Much of it was investigated for the coronial inquests, so the time was closer to 20 years than 40, but that was long enough to make the investigation difficult.

Thread Information