Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Australian Womens Championship

This title is due to be awarded the hisghest scoring Australian female in the Australian Open. This requires that at least 6 females compete and they come from three states. So far in the public lists only 4 females have entered, Angela Song, Shannon Oliver, Sally Yu and Shuyu Wang (Who I believe is female even though listed as a male in the Swiss Perfect master list). This meets the 3 state rule. What will happen if 6 females do not play in the Open? Will the title be declared vacant? What happens in the defending champion enters the tournament but the conditions are not statisfied. Do they retain the title or is it declared vacant? Is there any scope for the replacement Australian Womens Championship to be organised if the title is vacant?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    This title is due to be awarded the hisghest scoring Australian female in the Australian Open. This requires that at least 6 females compete and they come from three states. So far in the public lists only 4 females have entered, Angela Song, Shannon Oliver, Sally Yu and Shuyu Wang (Who I believe is female even though listed as a male in the Swiss Perfect master list). This meets the 3 state rule. What will happen if 6 females do not play in the Open? Will the title be declared vacant? What happens in the defending champion enters the tournament but the conditions are not statisfied. Do they retain the title or is it declared vacant? Is there any scope for the replacement Australian Womens Championship to be organised if the title is vacant?
    George and I have discussed the possibility of less than six female playing in the open. If there are less than six females playing, then the Australian Womens Championship will NOT BE AWARDED.

We will still give monetary first and second prizes most likely to the highest placing females, but the title of Australian Womens champion will NOT BE AWARDED.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    A little disappointing that none of the strongest female players (those who would be serious contenders for the title if all top Australian female players entered) have put their names down yet.

All sorts of solutions have been tried. If there is no way of running an Australian Womens Championship that is guaranteed to be credible I wonder if the title is worth persisting with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    A little disappointing that none of the strongest female players (those who would be serious contenders for the title if all top Australian female players entered) have put their names down yet.

All sorts of solutions have been tried. If there is no way of running an Australian Womens Championship that is guaranteed to be credible I wonder if the title is worth persisting with.
    what is even more disappointing is that we are offering $1000 for the australian womens champion. I am starting to get the feeling that MOST, not all, titled players want conditions laid out for them instead of having to play well to earn their money.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    what is even more disappointing is that we are offering $1000 for the australian womens champion. I am starting to get the feeling that MOST, not all, titled players want conditions laid out for them instead of having to play well to earn their money.
    Women's chess in Australia is so pathetic (and becoming more so as far as I can see), that you only have to take out a few, before the numbers become absurd. (The absurd refers to the number playing, not the quality of the players )If a Women's championships in Melbourne can only attract a few weak players, what chance does Mt Buller have.

However is the solution to abandon female chess or to do something about it?

It is only going to get worse with so little being done for female chess at the junior level. Currently 10 of the 19 girls playing at the Aus juniors are from the ACT. The ratio will get a little better, as I know other girls from other states are entering, but it is still a ridiculous ratio for a 300,000 person town
    Last edited by jenni; 20-12-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    So far in the public lists only 4 females have entered, Angela Song, Shannon Oliver, Sally Yu and Shuyu Wang
    Andjelija Zivanovic is definitely playing, so we only need 1 more female. Surely Australia is capable of finding one more.....

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Andjelija Zivanovic is definitely playing, so we only need 1 more female. Surely Australia is capable of finding one more.....
    There's plenty of time for the five of them to work out that it's worth their while to pay the entry fee for a player's mother/wife/sister and split the prize between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    There's plenty of time for the five of them to work out that it's worth their while to pay the entry fee for a player's mother/wife/sister and split the prize between them.
    You have a devious mind - I hadn't thought of that. (and no neither Tamzin or I are going to play....)

What's happened to Narelle? Why isn't she playing? Or Marieke van Dijk - she plays everything.

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    And the title?

Oops no - hot off the press - Andjelija has problems with her wisdom teeth that absolutely have to be fixed immediately, so maybe not.....

Oops no - hot off the press - Andjelija has problems with her wisdom teeth that absolutely have to be fixed immediately, so maybe not.....
    she hadnt entered in the open so far anyways.

she hadnt entered in the open so far anyways.
    She organised with Shannon to share a room at the Mercure, so Shannon is being left in the lurch, which is what I was feeling was going to happen. Fortunately Shannon has a bourgeoise, snobby, elitist parent to come to the rescue....

However if another woman does want to play and needs to share a room, then there is probably one available.

Fortunately Shannon has a bourgeoise, snobby, elitist parent to come to the rescue....
    is that allowed to mix insults across threads with someone not principally involved in the first set of insults and that is dangerous to do as you dont want the goat on a thread about womens tournaments

is that allowed to mix insults across threads with someone not principally involved in the first set of insults and that is dangerous to do as you dont want the goat on a thread about womens tournaments
    Those were all the insults I could remember without going back and checking various threads - I am sure Matt must have had a few extra ones I couldn't remember.

Thread Information