Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 171
  1. #1
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Box Hill calendar 2005 1st half

    Events at Box Hill chess Club for the first few months of 2005 are described on the Captains page at our web-site

    January has ALLEGRI and FISCHER_Random events.

    There are significant early-bird discounts for the AUTUMN Cup.


    starter

  2. #2
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Events at Box Hill chess Club for the first few months of 2005 are described on the Captains page at our web-site

    January has ALLEGRI and FISCHER_Random events.

    There are significant early-bird discounts for the AUTUMN Cup.


    starter
    I notice that the junior weibemeister has been busy at the Box Hill web-site giving details of forthcoming tournaments

    I wonder if the Treasurer knows about the $500 first prize in the Box Hill Autumn Cup for 2005.

    starter

    (ps Perhaps Rob has been assisting?)

  3. #3
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    (ps Perhaps Rob has been assisting?)
    Not as yet, though I'll be working on that page today once it's free.
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510
    OK, now I've been assisting.

    The first four events of next year are now up on the site.
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

  5. #5
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    OK, now I've been assisting.

    The first four events of next year are now up on the site.
    And as a result of Rob's great work on the Box Hill web-site you can now enter the AUTUMN CUP via the web-site . Given that up to 33% discounts are available for early payment, that is quite a good idea to enter early.

    starter

  6. #6
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965

    Transfer

    Good morning Starter,

    I was wondering - have you ever thought of running a Transfer Tournament at Box Hill? I reckon it would be WAY popular.

    I have considered organising one myself except I have 2 problems:
    1) lack of a suitable venue
    2) I want to play in it!

    W.E.

  7. #7
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Good morning Starter,

    I was wondering - have you ever thought of running a Transfer Tournament at Box Hill? I reckon it would be WAY popular.

    I have considered organising one myself except I have 2 problems:
    1) lack of a suitable venue
    2) I want to play in it!

    W.E.
    hi WhiteElephant

    I think I remember reading somewhere that RJ Fischer said 'timing is everything in chess'. Your interesting suggestion is either 4 weeks late for our 2005 calendar (now approved by the BHCC Committee) or 45 weeks early for consideration for the 2006 calendar.

    Best wishes for the festive season btw.

    Now. Transfer.

    I take it you have read the transfer rules posted somewhere here (on the bb) in the past year? When you have read these, tell me you still want to proceed.

    In the mean-time, while you check out the rules, did you know that the GURU has run the Australian Transfer Championships previously; and that the ACF gave its imprimatur. We would feel that the GURU has first call on a follow-up event in Melbourne. In fact if we were to pretend to being Gazza, drafting a by-law for such a situation, it would start with the sub-heading 'Transfer rights for Transfer chess'.

    There is probably a lot going for the event you call for.
    In fact the GURU was probably on the right track with his early ideas, at
    Mt B. 1, to have a festival of game opportunities that would include, GO, cards, Transfer, Lightning, and many other pass-time variants.

    As always, the trick is to find an organiser.

    regards
    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 26-12-2004 at 09:29 AM.

  8. #8
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    hi WhiteElephant

    I think I remember reading somewhere that RJ Fischer said 'timing is everything in chess'. Your interesting suggestion is either 4 weeks late for our 2005 calendar (now approved by the BHCC Committee) or 45 weeks early for consideration for the 2006 calendar.
    Dammit I know. Reading your Calendar is what got me thinking about other possibilities.

    Best wishes for the festive season btw.
    Thanks starter. All the best for the New Year and of course for the Boxing Day Test - Are you going?

    Now. Transfer.

    I take it you have read the transfer rules posted somewhere here (on the bb) in the past year? When you have read these, tell me you still want to proceed.
    I did a quick search but couldn't find any mention of the rules. I can't imagine there would be any surprises for me there so I think I am safe to proceed.

    In the mean-time, while you check out the rules, did you know that the GURU has run the Australian Transfer Championships previously; and that the ACF gave its imprimatur. We would feel that the GURU has first call on a follow-up event in Melbourne. In fact if we were to pretend to being Gazza, drafting a by-law for such a situation, it would start with the sub-heading 'Transfer rights for Transfer chess'.
    Yes, I played in the Australian Transfer Championships and my team came 2nd...yay (no hope in hell of beating the legendary pairing of Julian and Igor).

    There is probably a lot going for the event you call for.
    In fact the GURU was probably on the right track with his early ideas, at
    Mt B. 1, to have a festival of game opportunities that would include, GO, cards, Transfer, Lightning, and many other pass-time variants.

    As always, the trick is to find an organiser.
    I agree, chess variants are always popular. Perhaps I will impose on the GURU to organise a Transfer Tournament at Caulfield Chess Club?

    W.E.

  9. #9
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,101
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    In the mean-time, while you check out the rules, did you know that the GURU has run the Australian Transfer Championships previously; and that the ACF gave its imprimatur. We would feel that the GURU has first call on a follow-up event in Melbourne.
    Your feeling would be incorrect.
    The Guru ran an Australian Transfer Championship but didnt approach the ACF first. As such it was an event in name only. (It seemed more of a Victorian event than an "Australian" event anyway.)
    It was only at the ACF Council meeting in April 2004 that it was decided to recognise an Australian Transfer Champion title in future.
    Therefore anyone wishing to hold an Australian Transfer Championship in future would need to submit a bid to the ACF.
    Failure to do so would make it just another event called the Australian Transfer Championship but with no official recognition.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    In fact if we were to pretend to being Gazza, drafting a by-law for such a situation, it would start with the sub-heading 'Transfer rights for Transfer chess'.
    CV could of course always arrange to hold a Victorian Transfer Championship.

  10. #10
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Your feeling would be incorrect.
    hi Bill

    Hope you are are having a pleasant few days in the festive season.

    Now you had to read my comment in the context of a BH calendar thread and Mexican priority order. I was commenting to George that BHCC as a Victorian Club, setting our local BH calendar, would first recognise the GURUs green-fields work for the Aus. Tfr Champs. We would not jump the queue, nor bid against him for the next promoting of the event.
    Of course I recognise the ACF has the call in awarding this event, not VICTORIA.

    The Guru ran an Australian Transfer Championship but didnt approach the ACF first. As such it was an event in name only. (It seemed more of a Victorian event than an "Australian" event anyway.)
    It was only at the ACF Council meeting in April 2004 that it was decided to recognise an Australian Transfer Champion title in future.
    Therefore anyone wishing to hold an Australian Transfer Championship in future would need to submit a bid to the ACF. Failure to do so would make it just another event called the Australian Transfer Championship but with no official recognition.
    Thanks for your advice on the detail that the GURU's first event was not in fact recognised with an ACF title.



    CV could of course always arrange to hold a Victorian Transfer Championship.
    And my point to George would still stand: We would recognise the GURU's prior efforts in this venture, and we (BHCC) would not apply to queue-jump.

    regards
    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 26-12-2004 at 03:51 PM.

  11. #11
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant

    I did a quick search but couldn't find any mention of the rules. I can't imagine there would be any surprises for me there so I think I am safe to proceed.


    W.E.
    Amiel has been calling for the best of posts to the BB be preserved in some ARCHIVE, so that absolute gems such as this one
    (Nomination 18...post by Ian Rout)
    are not lost to new BB entrants.

    Recommend you read this George.


    regards
    starter

  12. #12
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Amiel has been calling for the best of posts to the BB be preserved in some ARCHIVE, so that absolute gems such as this one
    (Nomination 18...post by Ian Rout)
    are not lost to new BB entrants.

    Recommend you read this George.


    regards
    starter
    Heh this is great stuff. One of the funniest things I've read for a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    And my point to George would still stand: We would recognise the GURU's prior efforts in this venture, and we (BHCC) would not apply to queue-jump.
    As far as I know the GURU has no plans to run another Transfer Tournament in the near future. I don't see why it would be queue-jumping if you organised one - shouldn't any club have the right to run any tournament they want? Unless it is a Victorian/ Australian title in which case you would need to get the ok from CV or the ACF as Bill has pointed out.

    W.E.

  13. #13
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant

    Heh this is great stuff. One of the funniest things I've read for a long time.
    Glad you liked it George. We have infringed Ian's (probable) copyright a few times by re-printing it in our local bulletins.
    Now that you have found this treasure trove of good posts perhaps you can make this your holiday reading.

    As far as I know the GURU has no plans to run another Transfer Tournament in the near future. I don't see why it would be queue-jumping if you organised one - shouldn't any club have the right to run any tournament they want? Unless it is a Victorian/ Australian title in which case you would need to get the ok from CV or the ACF as Bill has pointed out.

    W.E.
    I think it goes without saying that we would yield to the GURU having precedence in this area. And, with an Australian title as a possibility, as Bill said, we (BHCC) would want to observe the proprietaries.



    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 26-12-2004 at 08:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,101
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I think it goes without saying that we would yield to the GURU having precedence in this area. And, with an Australian title as a possibility, as Bill said, we (BHCC) would want to observe the proprietaries.
    The Guru ran an unofficial Australian Transfer Championship.
    He has no right of precedence for any Australian Transfer Title event or for that matter any VIC Transfer tilte event.
    Anyone in VIC could run a transfer event.
    If it was to be called the Autralian Transfer Title then they just need to apply to the ACF.
    If it was for the VIC title then apply to CV.

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The Guru ran an unofficial Australian Transfer Championship.
    He has no right of precedence for any Australian Transfer Title event or for that matter any VIC Transfer tilte event.
    Anyone in VIC could run a transfer event.
    If it was to be called the Autralian Transfer Title then they just need to apply to the ACF.
    If it was for the VIC title then apply to CV.
    (Colour edit by starter).
    Bill

    You said exactly this before; and I explained that I agree entirely.
    Formally, according to right of precedence , the ACF has the call.
    But we would be polite and not proceed to jump into territory that we currently regard, in an informal sense, as the GURU's, until he had declared his intentions.

    starter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. From the Box Hill Chess Club Archives.
    By ursogr8 in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
  2. Box Hill calendar 2004 2nd half
    By ursogr8 in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Box Hill calendar 2004 1st half
    By ursogr8 in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 12:28 PM
  4. Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series start
    By ursogr8 in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
  5. Places to play in Sydney and Melboune?
    By Hugh_Brodie in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •