Hybrid View

CC International Master

2019 Australian Blitz Championship

2019 Australian Blitz Championship

Date:
    Tuesday 1 January 2019 4 pm

Venue:
    Chess Artists Caulfield Chess Club, 222 Balaclava Road, Caulfield, 3162. Victoria.

Format:
    11 Rounds – Swiss Tournament

Time Control:
    3 minutes plus 2 second increment from move 1

Forfeiture:
    The forfeit time for a game is when the player’s time has elapsed.

Rating:
    FIDE (Blitz) and ACF (Quick) rated
    Pairings and rating prizes will be based on the following rating hierarchy:
    FIDE Blitz rating
    FIDE Rapid rating
    FIDE Standard rating
    ACF Quick rating
    ACF Classic rating

Eligibility:
    Open, but players who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents must have a FIDE ID.

Entry Fees:
    Free for GM, WGM, IM, WIM
    $30, Concession (Junior, Student or Pensioner) $25

Entries close at 3:30 pm Tuesday 1 January 2019

Players can also enter the Blitz Tournament during the 2019 Australian Open. See Peter Tsai (2019 Australian Open Organiser, chess@t-s-a-i.com) with cash payment.

Prizes: $1400
    1st $500
    2nd $300
    3rd $200
    4th $100
    3 rating group prizes:of $100 each.

Title of Australian Blitz Champion: will be awarded to the Australian citizen or permanent resident with the highest final score (after a playoff if required – see Tiebreak below).

Tiebreak:
    In the event of a tie for the title between one or more eligible players, a playoff will be held:
    1. For two players, 2 games with alternate colours, repeated if necessary until the tie is broken.
    2. For three or more players, a single round robin, repeated if necessary until the tie is broken (with players who are no longer tied for first eliminated after each round robin cycle).

CC International Master
    This is a nice venue
    I have played several tournaments at this venue. It is comfortable, easy access by tram and train, there is good car parking about one tram stop away.

I am not playing

1) I am hopeless at blitz,

2) I will need to spend time catching up on correspondence games.
    David Flude

Box Hill Chess Club

http://boxhillchess.org.au/

Canterbury Junior Chess http://www.canterburychess.org.au/

Due to unforeseen (social commitments) circumstances, I will not be participating in this one.
    Please remove my name if it has appeared in any relevant lists.
    Thanks in advance!
    E.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Grandmaster
    I am probably playing. If I wake up in time...
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg View Post
    Well, admittedly it starts at the very early time of 4:00 PM, but with a bit of effort you might be able to make it!!!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg View Post
    I am probably playing and I won't wake up in time as I will be flying over from Tassie at a foolish hour for the National Conference. Free ratings points to give away to good homes and, as usual, anyone with a four-figure rating who is under the age of ten.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master

Current Entries

You can enter at the Australian Open till 31 December or email to Peter Tsai: chess@t-s-a-i.com
    Entries on the day of the tournament will be taken at Chess Artist Chess Club, 222 Balaclava Road, Caulfield, 3162. Victoria.
    Entries close at 3:30 pm Tuesday 1 January 2019

Code:
    Name                         Fed  Title Rtg
    Smirnov,Anton                NSW  GM    2519
    Papin,Vasily                 RUS  GM    2482
    Cheng,Bobby                  VIC  IM    2469
    Tan,Justin                   VIC  GM    2426
    Izzat,Kanan                  AZE  IM    2424
    Puccini,Jack                 VIC  FM    2221
    Sandler,Leonid               VIC  IM    2169
    Dragicevic,Domagoj           VIC  FM    2159
    Zulfic,Fedja                 SA         2110
    Lekkas,Frank                 VIC        2036
    Savige,Colin B               VIC        1992
    Yu,Allen                     VIC        1958
    Kelly,Adam                   WA   CM    1933
    Karaivanov,Alexander         BUL        1908
    Chibnall,Alana               ACT  WFM   1905
    Bonham,Kevin                 TAS        1785
    Crowley,Regan                VIC  CM    1724
    Johnson,Nicholas             QLD        1717
    Jochimsen,Erik               ACT        1483
    Testolin,Ryder               VIC        1435
    Behne-Smith,Elizabeth        NSW        1352
    Fox,Dominic                  NSW        1335
    Goodison,Leonard             VIC         622
    Goodison,Justin              VIC         497
    Chapula,Brian                WA            0
    De Rooy,Jack                 VIC           0
    De Rooy,Samuel               VIC           0
    Petris,Angelos               AUS           0

CC FIDE Master
    Can I just check .... is this really the Australian Blitz Championship or is it meant to be the Australian Open Blitz Championship?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Can I just check .... is this really the Australian Blitz Championship or is it meant to be the Australian Open Blitz Championship?
    It is the Australian Blitz Championship. The event and the rules surrounding it are the same every year whether it is a Championship or Open year - the tournament is open to all but the title of Champion goes to the highest-scoring Australian (after playoff if necessary), with "Australian" defined as citizen or permanent resident (in the view of the ACF Council) irrespective of who they are currently FIDE-registered to.

The formerly distinct title of Australian Open Blitz Champion (or as it may have been then, Australian Open Lightning Champion) was abolished many years ago and therefore no longer exists. I moved the motion to abolish it because the practice of having a title that could alternately be won and not won by overseas players was confusing and without the slightest sense to it. Despite this many people continue to mistakenly believe that a separate title "Australian Open Blitz Champion" still exists, in some cases even after being corrected on it several times!
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC FIDE Master
    Thank you for that information. Perhaps any confusion arises because people look at the ACf Tournament by-laws on the website (which apparently are out of date) and they list an “Australian Open Blitz” title.

I’m struggling to follow the logic of not having a separate open blitz title yet still having a separate Australian Open title. Surely your argument applies to both blitz and non-blitz?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Thank you for that information. Perhaps any confusion arises because people look at the ACf Tournament by-laws on the website (which apparently are out of date) and they list an “Australian Open Blitz” title.
    Some of it might but some of the people most prone to be confused and spread confusion (this doesn't mean you) were actually there when the motion was passed! One in particular; I won't be naming names though.

I’m struggling to follow the logic of not having a separate open blitz title yet still having a separate Australian Open title. Surely your argument applies to both blitz and non-blitz?
    I will address this on the Aus Open format thread to avoid sending this one off-topic. [edit: done]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 13-12-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information