Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    And for strictest accuracy, while it is an ACF title called "Australian Open Championship", it does not determine the Australian Champion as such. That is determined every other year in the Closed Championship.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-09-2018 at 11:39 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Afitz View Post
    As to the format, it's not ideal for sure, however other events had already claimed the usual space of the tournament and as such something else needed to be considered. Unfortunately that time of year is super busy with multiple events and unlike Europe, the Oceanic region just doesn't have the player base to have lots of clashing events.
    What a bizarre argument. By renaming the Canterbury Summer Swiss as the Australian Open, the ACF removed an existing successful event from the calendar to 'save' the Australian Open. So, due to the ACF's ineptitude, Australian players have fewer tournament options than they had when the Summer Swiss existed and the Australian Open was at its normal time. According to Kevin's argument, the Australian Open, an adult title, has effectively been abandoned by the ACF and the Summer Swiss renamed rather than clash with a junior event in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    According to Kevin's argument, the Australian Open, an adult title, has effectively been abandoned by the ACF and the Summer Swiss renamed rather than clash with a junior event in NZ.
    I have made no argument remotely resembling that the ACF has "effectively abandoned" any title, and it hasn't.

Thread reopened

This thread has been reopened but there will not necessarily be tolerance for further posts seeking in any way to divert into generalised attacks on the ACF and such posts may be deleted in full without warning or logging.

Anyone wishing to discuss the moderation of this or other threads may do so in the Help and Feedback section only.

Do not reply to this post in this thread.

CC Candidate Master
    I said the tournament, not the title, was being abandoned..

I said the tournament, not the title, was being abandoned..
    "the Australian Open, an adult title, has effectively been abandoned ". How is that not saying that the title has effectively been abandoned?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    "the Australian Open, an adult title, has effectively been abandoned ". How is that not saying that the title has effectively been abandoned?
    No it isn't - perhaps you should read up on the use of commas.
    The adult title part relates to the clash with a junior event. The Australian Open is a tournament.

In any case, let's face it, the Australian Open and Australian Women's titles are being awarded to the top scorers in the Canterbury Summer Swiss.
    Last edited by Ian_Rogers; 06-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.

No it isn't - perhaps you should read up on the use of commas.
    Your use of commas may be considerably different to mine. Consider "The tiger, a large animal, has been shot". This is clearly saying that a large animal has been shot. It is also saying that a specified tiger has been shot, and that that tiger is, or arguably more accurately was, a large animal.

Perhaps had you instead said "this year's running of the Australian Open, a tournament conferring an adult title" then the intended meaning would have been clearer. But even then, how you get that as all being my argument when it seems to have all along been yours, I have no idea. Indeed I took a somewhat different view in #11 when I wrote:

* The Box Hill bid, although for dates similar to those used for the Summer Swiss event, is for a larger scale event, anticipating more entries and including a Minor, and running for nine rounds instead of seven. Thus it is rather inaccurate to say that an existing event has been "anointed".
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 06-09-2018 at 11:50 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Your use of commas may be considerably different to mine. Consider "The tiger, a large animal, has been shot". This is clearly saying that a large animal has been shot. It is also saying that a specified tiger has been shot, and that that tiger is, or arguably more accurately was, a large animal.

Perhaps had you instead said "this year's running of the Australian Open, a tournament conferring an adult title" then the intended meaning would have been clearer. But even then, how you get that as all being my argument when it seems to have all along been yours, I have no idea. Indeed I took a somewhat different view in #11 when I wrote:

* The Box Hill bid, although for dates similar to those used for the Summer Swiss event, is for a larger scale event, anticipating more entries and including a Minor, and running for nine rounds instead of seven. Thus it is rather inaccurate to say that an existing event has been "anointed".
    1) To keep it simple: Before there were 2 events. and now there is 1 event (unless Minor is an independent event that is a substitute for the Summer Swiss .
    2) Is it only me who thinks that running the Australian Open in the year 2018 and under the current format looks like (I am not saying it is) a ''face-saving'' exercise by the ACF.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Afitz View Post
    Personally I think we should just be grateful for Peter and his team at Box Hill for stepping in and running an event when no one else has put their hand up to run it.
    I agree. Probably best not to get bogged down too much by the preferences of people who won't play in it anyway regardless of where, or when, or how, or what format it takes.

As to the format, it's not ideal for sure, however other events had already claimed the usual space of the tournament and as such something else needed to be considered. Unfortunately that time of year is super busy with multiple events and unlike Europe, the Oceanic region just doesn't have the player base to have lots of clashing events.
    I actually think when it is starting is a good idea, and would align with how many businesses operate in terms of Xmas to NY shutdown and staff annual leave.
    meep meep

I'm actually very curious. If Box Hill had not put their hand up, what would have happened to the tournament? It's almost like it would have not happened this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    1) To keep it simple:
    Never keep it more simple than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    I'm actually very curious. If Box Hill had not put their hand up, what would have happened to the tournament? It's almost like it would have not happened this year.
    A contingency plan to enable the event to go ahead in the absence of bids was made at the start of the year. I won't be providing specifics about the nature of that plan.

An alternative proposal which has been canvassed in the past is moving the event to a different time of year, though that would also have required a reduced schedule.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    I actually think when it is starting is a good idea, and would align with how many businesses operate in terms of Xmas to NY shutdown and staff annual leave.
    I don't disagree with that - it's definitely the usual shutdown period. If I recall correctly, the event used to run from about the 27th December into early January but changed to start after New Years sometime in the 2000's?

After that, the Australian Juniors used to run with 1 round per day over a longer time period which personally I really enjoyed because it allowed for more down time and coaching to take place. In saying that, I do appreciate why it's been shortened and the format changed to allow for maximum participation and less time off for parents being required.

CC Grandmaster
    A contingency plan to enable the event to go ahead in the absence of bids was made at the start of the year. I won't be providing specifics about the nature of that plan.
    1) Does it mean it is a 'secret plan of ACF that is not to be shared with the chess community" ? Sounds like FBI or CIA rather than ACF.
    2) I assume that particular plan was even less appealing than the current arrangement for the Aus Open.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information