Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399

    (split from ACF Ratings - Improved Presentation)

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Amiel,

    It is a great thingo, I agree.
    Try charting Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin, then come back with a prediction of where it will end.

    starter
    link below will save you some typing.
    (ie. a= is player 1 and b= is player 2)

    http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/ind...=Lin,%20Zhigen
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-12-2004 at 02:25 AM.

  2. #2
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by starter

    Try charting Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin, then come back with a prediction of where it will end.

    starter
    Starter, could I suggest charting, say, D. Bourmistrov and J.Nemeth, for a prediction of where Wallis and Lin will end up (ie. hovering just above 2000 and not really going anywhere)?

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Phil O'Dor...looking for Denis, if not Godot.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Starter, could I suggest charting, say, D. Bourmistrov and J.Nemeth, for a prediction of where Wallis and Lin will end up (ie. hovering just above 2000 and not really going anywhere)?

    Phil O'Dor
    You can suggest anything you like on the bb; provided you are keen to defend the view. No need for my imprimatur.

    Personally I don't see the parallel in your new pairing.
    Z W Lin is rated 1819 at U12...........and that is miles ahead of DB and JN at the same age. So, whatever malaise you think is affecting the older pair is probably not relevant to the younger pair.

    But, I will watch with interest for Denis' response to your post. Good luck; or duck.

    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 07-12-2004 at 04:54 PM.

  4. #4
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Amiel,

    It is a great thingo, I agree.
    Try charting Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin, then come back with a prediction of where it will end.

    starter
    And where do all these rating point increases come from? Phil O'Dor has his theory that two posters here have (already) squandered their 70 point inheritance from Bill.
    Other contributors are
    John Butler, and
    xxxxxxxxxx, who was supposedly made famous in a game against 'starter'

    starter

  5. #5
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Phil O'Dor

    Personally I don't see the parallel in your new pairing.
    Z W Lin is rated 1819 at U12...........and that is miles ahead of DB and JN at the same age.

    starter
    Are you sure, starter? So, ZWL is 1819 now. Ok. If we are to subtract 220 rating points (that Gletsos gave away 'cause he had nothing better to do with his time) we will arrive at 1599.

    Now, I think that's about where our little Denis was when he was that age. And, as you can see from his posts elsewhere on bb, it's all downhill from there.

  6. #6
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Gasp. Maybe he is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Are you sure, starter? So, ZWL is 1819 now. Ok. If we are to subtract 220 rating points (that Gletsos gave away 'cause he had nothing better to do with his time) we will arrive at 1599.

    Now, I think that's about where our little Denis was when he was that age. And, as you can see from his posts elsewhere on bb, it's all downhill from there.
    Phil O'Dor

    Your insightful analysis has cast doubts into my mind.
    But I will leave the comeback on your post to Denis; he is on hols and has all day to turn waffle into whine or vice versa.
    Personally, I am still reeling from the shock that maybe my current all-time high ranking may be unearned.

    Listen Phil, can you just whisper what is your ACF Id. and I will use quanta's beaut plotter to dial in and look with admiration at your monotonically increasing sequence (after Gletsos deflation, of course).

    starter

  7. #7
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Now, I think that's about where our little Denis was when he was that age. And, as you can see from his posts elsewhere on bb, it's all downhill from there.
    You have made a powerful enemy mr Dero.

    Your own rating has been steadily decreasing over these past years also and lets take 220 away from that too, not so flash, huh?

    My chess has taken a slight receeding path prehaps on a par with your hairline I don't argue that, but that is due to my distractions in the world around us.

    However your argument stinks like a week old dog carcass as Zong, Smurf were at that strength or lower at that age. And Ian only started playing in his teens, Darryl was 2000 at 21.

    Thanks for the English lesson, maybe you should take it up as a proffession, I hear there is a shortage of kindergarden teachers here in Victoria.

  8. #8
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    I wonder if we are not wandering slightly off topic here. I love friendly banter as much as the next man. However, I believe wasting such gems in the rating forums might be unwise. Why not post in the Non-Chess forums, where they could be appreciated by a wider audience?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    17
    I have a technical question about our rating system. If we were to put 10 chessplayers in a cell at the bottom of the ocean. And they all were rated 1800. And they were set to play rated game against each other. Would this controlled environment, cause an inflation of ratings or deflation or would they all average out to 1800 forever?

    Something that has troubled my sleep for many years.

  10. #10
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    I have a technical question about our rating system. If we were to put 10 chessplayers in a cell at the bottom of the ocean. And they all were rated 1800. And they were set to play rated game against each other. Would this controlled environment, cause an inflation of ratings or deflation or would they all average out to 1800 forever?

    Something that has troubled my sleep for many years.
    Does this answer your question?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Does this answer your question?
    Not at all - you assume all ratings are !!

    With different RD variables you'd get some very different readings.

    Based upon Glicko history, ratings tend to deflate rather than inflate or stay the same. For evidence of this, log onto FICS and check out some 'best' ratings for players a few years ago and they're often much higher than their present values.

    Glicko works very ell in the ACF system however as it's a more controlled environment. However, it needed 'Bill tweaking' to be applied for better accuracy.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  12. #12
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis

    Your own rating has been steadily decreasing over these past years also and lets take 220 away from that too, not so flash, huh?
    You think you know who I am, don't you, little Denis? That's quite amuzing. Methinks you are just as clueless as Mr. Starter was on some other thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    My chess has taken a slight receeding path prehaps on a par with your hairline :
    When starter mentioned taxi license, I immediately knew that he was thinking I was Hacche. Now this "receding hairline" reference puzzles me somewhat as I haven't been involved a lot in a chess scene at recent times, so I am not so sure who's losing hair at the moment. So, what am I? Rujevic? Jordan? Maybe even Johansen?

  13. #13
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Not at all - you assume all ratings are !!

    With different RD variables you'd get some very different readings.

    Based upon Glicko history, ratings tend to deflate rather than inflate or stay the same. For evidence of this, log onto FICS and check out some 'best' ratings for players a few years ago and they're often much higher than their present values.

    Glicko works very ell in the ACF system however as it's a more controlled environment. However, it needed 'Bill tweaking' to be applied for better accuracy.
    I think you talking out of the wrong end of your trunk on this. I'd rather if you left it to Denis to decide whether my response answers his question or not. Your only adding noise to the system.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Solving tactical puzzles improves your ability to see tactics at the board.
    I am not convinced that they do. Never tried any of them. Chess is not about tactics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Studying endgame technique improves your capacity when you are able to apply these techniques at the board.
    I am not convinced that they do. Never tried any of them. Chess is not about endgame techniques.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Opening preparation can (among other things) save time on the clock which allows you to play a higher standard of game in the middle/end of tournament games.
    I am not convinced that it does. Never tried doing so. Chess is not about opening preparation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    How are any of these things NOT improving your capacity to play chess?
    Because they are utterly irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Not personally but Neil Armstrong learnt to land on the moon long before he was able to make the journey in person.
    Nice one. If you have to go that far to provide examples, then maybe, just maybe, what you are trying to prove is not that "provable"?

  15. #15
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Nice one. If you have to go that far to provide examples, then maybe, just maybe, what you are trying to prove is not that "provable"?
    It didn't take long to think of, it also goes rather nicely with my new signature line.

    OK another question for you. Does gym work help with sporting performance? It seems the literature says it does. Why should the same not be true of chess?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •