Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    CC International Master
    I watched the first couple of hours - they were moving quite slowly so possibly were both short of time. It would be understandable that neither would want to risk losing the entire match by a split-second decision based on a hasty evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I thought Ju had offered the draw. In the final position white is better.
    I had offered my commentary based only on your comment of - At times white was in trouble here. Rather lenient draw offer at the end. So I thought that it was Lagno who had offered the draw.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I watched the first couple of hours - they were moving quite slowly so possibly were both short of time.
    They were, I was watching from around move 25 and they only had a few minutes plus increment each.

I think what Michael said is right - at stages Ju's position was very scary to play and she probably just wanted to get out of there without losing.

Ju played passively in game 2 and was gradually outplayed by Lagno.

PGN Viewer

That was quite a game, where Ju was on the receiving end of what she had done so well in previous games: convert a small endgame edge to a win, esp. the one against Krush. This time, the presence of Rs meant that the opposite-coloured Bs was not an easy draw. Ju erred twice with her K: first by 36... Kh7, taking it out of action, so Lagno could manoeuvre her R to win the Pc5. Then most seriously, 46... Kg6, allowing 47. Ke5, seriously tying up Black's pieces and enabling the decisive Rb7 winning the Pa7. Mind you, the computer on the Chess24 site sometimes changes the evaluation, and I wonder if 41... f5 was the losing move. It is understandable to want to take the P off the black square where it is attacked by the enemy B, but on f6 it coordinated with the B to form a barrier to enemy K entry.

Looks somewhat like the Carlsen style has been adopted by the leading players in this tournament.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 21-11-2018 at 02:41 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Certainly far more fun to watch than the Men's.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Ju - Lagno. Lagno played the early middlegame badly and could easily have lost - move 21 was the worst but she was losing for a while. In the endgame Ju missed a beautiful winning line on move 48 in which she would have allowed Lagno to underpromote with check. After that it was a draw.

PGN Viewer

Lagno - Ju. Another messy game and off to rapid/blitz for the title.

PGN Viewer

Incredible comeback by Ju, Wenjun (China) to turn the match around and force Kateryna Lagno (Russia) to a Women's World Chess Championship play offs. Women have shown, in these series what real chess is all about! Men and their parallel world championship efforts are coming second best!!! On ya girls!

FINAL POSITION

Attachment 3694
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Actually quite poor play by Lagno to be beaten in that fashion in so few moves. She wasted moves with king's bishop.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Actually quite poor play by Lagno to be beaten in that fashion in so few moves. She wasted moves with king's bishop.
    Hey AC you might know the theory but as shown in the game above, the fatal mistake was White's 28. Kh1?? instead of 28. Qh5 which equalizes.
    The Bishop in the Rosolymo Sicilian when not exchanged at c6, often stays on the a2-g8 diagonal. That's theory of which admittedly I know f. all
    but I have seen it played
    Last edited by ER; 23-11-2018 at 12:54 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Hey AC you might know the theory but as shown in the game above, the fatal mistake was White's 28. Kh1?? instead of 28. Qh5 which equalizes.
    The Bishop in the Rosolymo Sicilian when not exchanged at c6, often stays on the a2-g8 diagonal. That's theory of which admittedly I know f. all
    but I have seen it played
    Me know theory, we are never in the same room together. It is an amazing result when I consider blacks minor pieces to be useless. In basic chess I consider you don't promote white's F pawn unless you really know what you are doing or have no choice - that I consider the weakness. As white's queen is the only active attacking piece I don't see much hope for white no matter what does with queen. I wonder if it is considered a weak game for a world championship?
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Lagno would also have been losing earlier had Ju seen 19...c4 which wins a piece.

The engines think 12.exf5 is a mistake and white can just push 12.b4 and black's kingside pawn stuff is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Lagno would also have been losing earlier had Ju seen 19...c4 which wins a piece.

The engines think 12.exf5 is a mistake and white can just push 12.b4 and black's kingside pawn stuff is nothing.
    12. exf5 is certainly a mistake, it opens the semi-open G file (we don't need an engine for that). I knew as a 1400 rated player. If Ju could win a piece by approx move 20 that may prove that it does not deserve to be a WC game.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I wonder if it is considered a weak game for a world championship?
    The final match they have both been trying to play interesting chess but they are both exhausted at the end of a long tournament and making a lot of mistakes.

Thread Information