Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82
  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,595

    FIDE World Womens, Nov 2-23 Khanty-Mansiysk

    Current player list: http://fide.com/component/content/ar...ship-2018.html

    Kathryn Hardegen is representing Oceania after Layla Timergazi withdrew. She'll be playing one of the top seeds but too early to know which one.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Current player list: http://fide.com/component/content/ar...ship-2018.html

    Kathryn Hardegen is representing Oceania after Layla Timergazi withdrew. She'll be playing one of the top seeds but too early to know which one.
    November in Khanty....she better take a lot of warm clothing with her!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #3

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    Kathryn is on board 1!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #5
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,595
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Kathryn is on board 1!
    Yes, because she is the lowest rated player, so she has to play the highest. Must be quite an experience.

  6. #6
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,595
    Hardegen - Ju

    PGN Viewer
     

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Hardegen - Ju

    PGN Viewer
     
    Brave effort! White was doing well for a while.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,413
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Brave effort! White was doing well for a while.
    I thought so too, and so did GM Pavel Tregubov:

    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    The oldest participant in the WWC is Rani Hamid who is 74 years old!!!
    And she learned to play chess at the age of 34!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_Hamid
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    The oldest participant in the WWC is Rani Hamid who is 74 years old!!!
    And she learned to play chess at the age of 34!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_Hamid
    At the age of 63...was rated 2189 Fide!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  11. #11
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,595
    This was the second game Ju - Hardegen:

    PGN Viewer
     

    Again good resistance despite being so heavily overrated, white was better out of the opening which went out of theory very quickly, but White didn't get a decisive advantage until 26...c5.

    Will be hard to pay this event much attention with the Carlsen-Caruana match on at the same time but I see Koneru was eliminated by 31st seed Jolanta Zawadzka from Poland. Ju and Mariya Muzychuk are through to the quarter-finals and various other usual suspects are in rapid playoffs to try to get there.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,570
    Kostenyuk was almost knocked out in rd2 but managed to hold a totally lost endgame in the 2nd game, then dominated the rapid!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #13
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,061
    I'm excited by this, even though I disagree with the format deciding the Women's World Champion. (Where is Hou Yifan?)

    I am cheering for Ju, but I also like the idea of an all Muzychuk final!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,413
    [Event "Women's World Championship KO"]
    [Site "Khanty-Mansiysk RUS"]
    [Date "2018.11.08"]
    [EventDate "2018.11.03"]
    [Round "2.1"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Ju Wenjun"]
    [Black "Irina Krush"]
    [ECO "D20"]
    [WhiteElo "2568"]
    [BlackElo "2434"]
    [PlyCount "99"]

    PGN Viewer
     

    Some excellent technique from Ju here, the sort of win one would expect from Carlsen or Capablanca. This game is one example of how some of the advice in chess books is not really so good: namely the queen-side majority. It is not usually the only factor in a lot of games, even when the side with it wins, and in many games it's not a factor at all. The most important things are relative mobilities of the rival majorities, and activity of the rooks. Here, even the open file was not important because all entry squares were controlled. Just the very quick K-side Ps.

    Krush was criticised for 37... fxg5, and the computer doesn't like it as much. But when it continues with allowing White to play g6, Black soon gets in a bad way. Black must choose between leaving the K where it is, but then the R gets tied to the Pg7 and White will be able to push e5 and get a strong advanced passed P. But if Black defends with the K on g8, then it's subject to back rank mate threats, and if Black covers that rank with his R, then White gets her R to d7.

    Often the K-side majority is really a central majority, which can seize space and drive pieces away from important posts. Against the gallant Australian rep as KB posted above, Ju had a very similar P structure but used the centre to drive a N away from protecting the seventh rank.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  15. #15
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,595
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    (Where is Hou Yifan?)
    She is boycotting the event because she quite rightly doesn't like this format. This knockout format is a legacy of the old administration and it looks like this will be the last time the title will be awarded in this manner. In future the cycle will be more like the open cycle in which the World Cup knockout qualifies players to the Candidates' Matches but is not the world title itself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Youth Chess Championship U14, U16, U18, Khanty Mansiysk 20/9/16-4/10/16
    By Hide on Bush in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM
  2. FIDE Grand Prix Khanty-Mansiysk 14-26 May
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 27-05-2015, 02:14 AM
  3. FIDE Women's Grand Prix - Khanty Mansiysk
    By lost in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  4. FIDE World Cup 2009 Khanty-Mansiysk
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 31-12-2009, 07:56 PM
  5. World Cup Chess in Khanty-Mansiysk
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •