Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for publishing the prize list Peter. What about Dastam Nurzhaouv. I understand the ACF rules for unrated players. But 8.5/9 is still a tremendous performance at the national championship. Have the organisers considered atleast a special prize for Dastam for such a great performance as a good will gesture to promote Chess. I hope the organisers consider that and in future unrated players also have a category of prize.
    Last edited by Andy009; 03-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy009 View Post
    Thanks for publishing the prize list Peter. What about Dastam Nurzhaouv. I understand the ACF rules for unrated players. But 8.5/9 is still a tremendous performance at the national championship. Have the organisers considered atleast a special prize for Dastam for such a great performance as a good will gesture to promote Chess. I hope the organisers consider that and in future unrated players also have a category of prize.
    The Minor isn't the national championship; it's just a supporting event for the Open, which also isn't the national championship as such.

Encouragement prizes for unrated players who are unrated because they have no experience might be all very well but when you get players who have no FIDE or ACF rating but might be actually very strong (from playing overseas or online) there's no reason to encourage them to play in the Minor at all. In fact when they do it adds a lottery element for the leading eligible players in the Minor - some will play the strong "unrated" player and some won't, because the Swiss system is designed to find the winner(s) and not necessarily to get the rest in order. I almost never agree with anything posted on a certain other forum (except by me of course) but Trevor Stanning has made a good point about this - in this case the Minor prize winner had the advantage of not playing this player who may well have been too strong for the Minor field.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    The Minor isn't the national championship; it's just a supporting event for the Open, which also isn't the national championship as such.

Encouragement prizes for unrated players who are unrated because they have no experience might be all very well but when you get players who have no FIDE or ACF rating but might be actually very strong (from playing overseas or online) there's no reason to encourage them to play in the Minor at all. In fact when they do it adds a lottery element for the leading eligible players in the Minor - some will play the strong "unrated" player and some won't, because the Swiss system is designed to find the winner(s) and not necessarily to get the rest in order. I almost never agree with anything posted on a certain other forum (except by me of course) but Trevor Stanning has made a good point about this - in this case the Minor prize winner had the advantage of not playing this player who may well have been too strong for the Minor field.
    my chess student lost to the winner..and finished 2nd equal as a result...
    I wonder if the players have been ''advised'' to consider playing in the open? moving ''Unrated'' prize to the open could be the solution for international players without fide rating.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    The tournament website as far as I know doesnt mention that unrated players are excluded from the prize or title.The ACF rules discussion appeared only in the 8th round tournament bulletin raised by RJ.
    Hypothetically if it was made clear at the beginning of the tournament that they are ineligible for prize or title,
    They may have even avoided playing the tournament (imagine 5 days of effort and entry fee down the drain!)
    I agree with Kevin and Michael that from next year they can only play in open category but againif they are not eligible for anything do you seriously think they will play?!

I think that the "unrated" vs "rated" prizes argument belongs to the "open format" thread rather than here.
    However, I would suggest that a separate unrated category should be introduced with prizes that would at least
    balance the "injustice" of paying an entry fee and playing for so many days with no compensation at all.
    Something like a year of half year membership in a club of their preference, or some chess books, or an
    introductory coaching course, would suffice.
    After all the beginning of a chess career playing in such an important event and the experience one can gather from it
    is in itself a sound compensation!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    I think that the "unrated" vs "rated" prizes argument belongs to the "open format" thread rather than here.
    I don't think it belongs there but it might be worth transferring to a new thread if it continues for a while.

Strong unrated players are a problem for events like this. If they play in the Minor then the big prizes in the Minor can be determined by who plays them and who doesn't. If they play in the Open and are seeded at the bottom then they further reduce norm chances for players seeking norms (if they actually play such a player then that's even worse). They are not players beginning a tournament chess career and needing encouragement - they are more likely to be players who have a local rating from overseas or an online rating, or who have played competitively in some country that lacks a local rating system. I think the organisers' decision not to offer unrated player prizes was correct. If players want to be eligible for a skill-level prize in an event like the Open or Minor they should get a rating first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    … If players want to be eligible for a skill-level prize in an event like the Open or Minor they should get a rating first.
    Makes sense. Factors such the ones you just referred to and other points made on postings I hadn't yet read justify the organisers' approach!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy009 View Post
    Dastam Nurzhaouv was given his entrance fee back as compensation. The ACF rule was explained to him.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Tsai View Post
    Dastam Nurzhaouv was given his entrance fee back as compensation. The ACF rule was explained to him.
    A decision of Solomon

CC Candidate Master
    Well done organisers!

Yes, good decision. (Not saying that in general unrated players should be allowed to enter for free, just that there are often oversights when it comes to being sure they are aware they cannot win prizes, and it is appropriate to refund their entry fee when this happens.)

CC FIDE Master
    Open Brilliancy Prize FM Dusan Stojic

Eh ... In which round and against who did he play and win this game?

CC Rookie
    In round 5 against Kevin Sheldrick
    https://chessmicrobase.com/microbase...token=dgf5iwd5

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks, Boris.

Thread Information