CC Candidate Master

Arbiter Commission meeting 29/6/18 - 1/7/18 - New regulations for FA/IA titles

The latest Arbiter Commission meeting was held 29/6/18 - 1/7/18, and the minutes are available here: http://arbiters.fide.com/ or http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor..._-_MINUTES.doc

Included in the minutes is the following amendment/addition to the Arbiter regulations:

1. REGULATIONS FOR THE TITLES OF ARBITERS
    (a). Art. 2.1.3
    Addition:
    In order an International FIDE rated chess event to be valid as a norm for the FA title, it must have participants from at least two (2) Federations.
    In order an International FIDE rated chess event to be valid as a norm for the IA title, it must have participants from at least three (3) Federations.
    Current regulations are here: http://fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=41&view=category . I assume these are recommended to the GA rather than automatically being implemented, but they look difficult from NZ's perspective as we don't have a lot of players from foreign federations available outside Australia.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    www.dancingwater.co.nz - Major sponsor
    www.bensoninsurance.co.nz - Major sponsor

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    And if the last few Congresses are any guide, "recommended to the GA" in practice means referred by the GA to the Presidential Board because grandstanding, inefficient electoral processes and contradictory recommendations by different commissions means it is not practical for the GA to review them. Though if the delegate makes a lot of noise about one particular item they may be able to get progress on it.

I wouldn't expect the above to have much impact on FA (indeed I've always interpreted "international" as entrants from >1 federations) but for IA norms it will be a serious issue for more isolated chess nations.

There are some other interesting proposals there. One I reckon I would support is requiring a Rapid/Blitz norm for each of the FA and IA titles. It's silly that titled IAs can be arbiters in rapid/blitz tournaments without any evidence that they have even run one before and we had multiple serious problems in one Australian event (much discussed on this board at the time) related to this.

CC Candidate Master
    I quite like that proposal as well, although there's an argument that Organisers should take that into account when appointing Arbiters. I think it could be left in the FA title only though since IA requires FA anyway.

Any restriction to arbiter norms makes life more difficult for NZ - not that FIDE shouldn't ensure a reasonable level, but I don't know that multiple federations says much about an event or the Arbiter's ability to do their job.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    www.dancingwater.co.nz - Major sponsor
    www.bensoninsurance.co.nz - Major sponsor

CC Grandmaster
    I understand the importance of having a FA title. But does it really matter if one is an IA or not?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I understand the importance of having a FA title. But does it really matter if one is an IA or not?
    Aside from the higher title making the arbiter more likely to be hired to run tournaments, there are also some high-level events for which one must be an IA to be the Chief Arbiter.

Thread Information