Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I'm not certain they'll necessarily play both Max and James - could be a path involving getting 5/8 then winning in round 9 having played only one of them. It will be interesting to see if it works like that should the field stay broadly like it is.

Interestingly both Fancy and Press are FMs already, but unlike most low-rated FMs in Oceania, they are Olympiad-FMs rather than Zonal-FMs.
    Yes KB, you are right about alternative pathways to 5/8 then a less fearsome opponent in the last round and - as I remembered much later after posting - Press and Fancy are already FMs!
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 09-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think all this could be expected when awarding the zonal to Guam....
    Does the geographical bearing have a bearing? Why, being close to the Philippines with many Filipinos working there?
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Does the geographical bearing have a bearing? Why, being close to the Philippines with many Filipinos working there?
    This is an Oceania Zonal Championship -- players registered under Philippines are not eligible to participate.

Guam has a total of 28 rated FIDE-registered players, some of whom may be Filipino citizens or expats. Guam's highest rated player is CM Elmer Prudente (2015). He is participating.

Palau has a total of 106 rated FIDE-registered players, some of whom may be Filipino citizens or expats. Palau's highest rated player is CM Cyril Tomas Montel Jr. (1877). He is also participating.

Participation from Australia and New Zealand will certainly be lower, due to the relative cost and difficulty of travelling to Guam. But for the `pointy end' to be strengthened at all will require more strong players from either Australia or New Zealand to enter. This may yet happen -- if I remember correctly, the 2013 Zonal held in Fiji was relatively strong.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 10-12-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    This is an Oceania Zonal Championship -- players registered under Philippines are not eligible to participate.

Guam has a total of 28 rated FIDE-registered players, some of whom may be Filipino citizens or expats. Guam's highest rated player is CM Elmer Prudente (2015). He is participating.

Palau has a total of 106 rated FIDE-registered players, some of whom may be Filipino citizens or expats. Palau's highest rated player is CM Cyril Tomas Montel Jr. (1877). He is also participating.

Participation from Australia and New Zealand will certainly be lower, due to the relative cost and difficulty of travelling to Guam. But for the `pointy end' to be strengthened at all will require more strong players from either Australia or New Zealand to enter. This may yet happen -- if I remember correctly, the 2013 Zonal held in Fiji was relatively strong.
    Back a few months ago when some noisy people were complaining about Guam being the location for the 2019 Oceania Zonal, I said that instead of complaining about every Federation in Oceania having a responsibility to both host a zonal once every few 'turns', but also the responsibility of the other Federations to support their other Federations, that a players complaint might best be served in arguing that Guam should not be in the Oceania Zone at all.

It was clearly shown to me that in other sporting competitions, that Guam and other Micronesia Nations compete in Oceania Zonal competitions, rather than with their purely geographic Asian neighbours.

Thread Information