CC Candidate Master

2019 Oceania Zonal Guam 17-24 Feb 2019

I see that the New Zealand Chess Federation Calendar http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html has more details for the Zonal including link to entry form.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonkempen View Post
    I see that the New Zealand Chess Federation Calendar http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html has more details for the Zonal including link to entry form.
    Thanks for sharing this. The hospitality is very inviting -- I can't think of many other tournaments where the entry fee is inclusive of daily lunches, snacks and a welcome buffet dinner! The special rate accommodation seems good value as well.

I hope that I will be able to play.

From the entry form:

Code:
    THE WINNERS OF THE 2019 GUAM ZONAL QUALIFY AND ENTITLED TO ADVANCE TO PLAY IN THE WORLD CUP AND THE WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP. LIKEWISE, DIRECT TITLE OF INTERNATIONAL MASTER (IM) TITLE FOR 1ST & FIDE MASTER (FM) TITLE FOR 2ND & 3RD PLACERS WILL BE CONFERRED.
    These statements about direct titles are partly correct, but the award of these titles is conditional on the player concerned having already met the new rating bound requirements at some time or other. Failing this, the title takes effect once the player reaches the required rating.

In the event of a tie for 1st involving 3 or fewer players, the IM/WIM title is awarded to all =1st finishers. The title comes into effect once the individual player has met the rating bound requirements (2200 for IM, 2000 for WIM).

In the event of a tie for 1st involving more than 3 players, tiebreak scores are used to determine which 3 players get the IM/WIM titles. The title comes into effect once the individual player has met the rating bound requirements (2200 for IM, 2000 for WIM).

FM/WFM direct titles are also conferred to players who score at least 6.0/9 (under the proviso that all 9 games are played, i.e. no byes or forfeits), though these direct titles are also conditional on the appropriate rating bound being achieved (2100 for FM, 1900 for WFM).

IM/WIM norms are awarded to 2nd and 3rd placegetters. (No rating requirement, as these are norms and not direct titles.)
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 08-07-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Grandmaster
    LOL more soft titles on the way
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Andrew, what about CM titles?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    Andrew, what about CM titles?
    CM requires 50% from 9 games and the applicant needs a minimum rating of 2000.
    In fact all the direct titles have minimum rating requirements as follows:

IM 2200
    FM 2100
    CM 2000

WIM 2000
    WFM 1900
    WCM 1800
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Candidate Master
    For example you are below 2100 and get 6/9 you dont get FM until you reach 2100? , or you just don't get it at all unless you have the 2100 rating?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    For example you are below 2100 and get 6/9 you dont get FM until you reach 2100? , or you just don't get it at all unless you have the 2100 rating?
    They are two separate conditions that both must be met. The order is not important.

After scoring 6/9 in the Zonal, you would get the title once your rating gets to 2100. If you have already reached 2100, then you would get the title on scoring 6/9 in the Zonal (even if your rating has since gone below 2100).
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    thank you very much Andrew

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    LOL more soft titles on the way
    Wrong thread
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    It's probably a bit early to construct entry lists but the (official) nominees for Australia (two in each category) are:

Open: GM Max Illingworth (2512) and IM James Morris (2494)
    Women: WGM Julia Ryjanova (2330) and IM Irina Berezina (2112)

And the (unofficial) nominees for New Zealand (one in each category) are:

Open: CM John Duneas (2023)
    Women: Vacant
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

CC Candidate Master
    where are the entry list for Guam? do we have a definitive list closer to the date

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Post deleted

I have deleted a post by antichrist that may have caused confusion.

The Guam Chess Federation is a full and voting member of FIDE Zone 3.6 Oceania. See https://ratings.fide.com/fide_direct...y=GUM&list=948 It is also a full and voting member of FIDE.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm interested in playing in this tournament. Can someone please help me find the appropriate information? (Australian Chess Federation.)

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I'm interested in playing in this tournament. Can someone please help me find the appropriate information? (Australian Chess Federation.)
    Hi Becky,

See ACF Newsletter 31 October under "ACF Notices" https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=21b3c71bc7 as follows:

FIDE Zone 3.6 (Oceania) Championship & Women’s Championship 2019

The nine-round FIDE Zone 3.6 (Oceania) and Zone 3.6 Women’s Zonal Championships, to be played at the Pacific Star Resort in Tumon, Guam, provide the opportunity for qualification to the ensuing FIDE World Cup and World Championship events.

Australia’s official nominees for the Women’s championship are WGM Julia Ryjanova (Vic) and IM Irina Berezina (NSW).

Nominees for the Open championship are Australian Champion, GM Max Illingworth, and IM James Morris.

Entries from Australian players other than official ACF nominees will be accepted until 5 January 2019. For complete details, see https://www.fide.com/images/stories/...entry_form.pdf

or phone 0499 996 559 or (03) 9787 7974.
    Last edited by Frank; 21-11-2018 at 02:28 AM.

Thread Information