Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I'm not certain they'll necessarily play both Max and James - could be a path involving getting 5/8 then winning in round 9 having played only one of them. It will be interesting to see if it works like that should the field stay broadly like it is.

Interestingly both Fancy and Press are FMs already, but unlike most low-rated FMs in Oceania, they are Olympiad-FMs rather than Zonal-FMs.
    Yes KB, you are right about alternative pathways to 5/8 then a less fearsome opponent in the last round and - as I remembered much later after posting - Press and Fancy are already FMs!
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 09-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Posts moved

Posts discussing the location of the Zonal have been moved here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....tion-(sf-2017)

I might move some of them back but for the time being any further replies to #30 are to be posted to that thread not this one.

With the Open field so far looking like a contest between Max Illingworth and James Morris and then a large rating drop off to third, I am a bit surprised that another genuine chance for 1st has not thrown their name in the field to give it a go. There would not be that many Oceania Zonals that you could play in with a chance to go to the World Cup where it is so far effectively a two horse race.

Good to see you are playing, Tony D, and thanks for the regular field updates. Best wishes for the tournament!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    With the Open field so far looking like a contest between Max Illingworth and James Morris and then a large rating drop off to third, I am a bit surprised that another genuine chance for 1st has not thrown their name in the field to give it a go. There would not be that many Oceania Zonals that you could play in with a chance to go to the World Cup where it is so far effectively a two horse race.
    I'd say its probably to do with costs...those two were selected as the Australian representatives which I would imagine means their accommodation is covered. Over the course of a zonal that's a pretty reasonable saving!

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Good to see you are playing, Tony D, and thanks for the regular field updates. Best wishes for the tournament!
    Thanks Jono My two kids are grown up now (the elder one has left home and the younger one graduated with a uni degree last weekend) so I've decided to be more active again. I've never played in a zonal before and this time it didn't clash with my uni teaching duties, so I decided to enter! The updates are courtesy of organiser Roger Orio who is sending me details as they become available.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 13-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afitz View Post
    I'd say its probably to do with costs...those two were selected as the Australian representatives which I would imagine means their accommodation is covered. Over the course of a zonal that's a pretty reasonable saving!
    Yes it would be pretty difficult to do it in the hope of winning as a purely professional decision. If you won the Zonal but were eliminated in the first round of the World Cup (as every Australian has been excepting one who won on forfeit) then the prizemoney for both would not have much change left out of it after two lots of travel costs and one of accommodation.

Thread Information