Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    CC Candidate Master
    Congratulations Becky!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    So little birdy is bringing some big news from the recently concluded zonal. There are 3 new FM title holders (subject to 2100 rating).

One is local, one is from NZ and one is from Australia.

Both IM norms go to Australia. One goes to Shaun Press and the other one goes to the manager of Australian Kangaroos.
    Results have just gone up, just as I was trying to work out if that was enough information to identify the FM-qualifiers.

So, unofficially I get:

Press (PNG) - IM norm
    Ng (AUS) - IM norm, FM title for which I think he has not met the rating requirement yet (but not far off)
    Duneas (NZL) - FM title for which he has met the rating requirement
    Manuel Enofre Efren (Guam) - FM title for which he hasn't met the rating requirement yet, also hasn't met CM (as far as I can tell)
    I have nine players qualifying for CM conditional on rating, of whom only Dowden has met the rating requirement.

In the Women's:
    Stones (AUS) - WFM title and WIM norm, rating requirement for WFM met
    Punsalan (NZ) - WIM norm
    Szekely (Guam) - WFM title, rating requirement not yet met, not met for WCM either but close already eligible for WCM (see below)
    Ollet (Guam) - WCM subject to rating, rating requirement not yet met.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-02-2019 at 06:41 PM.

AUSTRALIAN DIRECT TITLE WINNERS

The Australian Chess Federation pays for all FM/WFM and IM/WIM titles earned by players registered to AUS. The ACF does not pay for CM/WCM titles and will only claim these on receiving confirmation and payment.

The following is the process for Australian players who have qualified for titles, depending on case:

1. The player has qualified for FM/WFM or above and has met the rating requirement: You do not need to do anything to claim the title; the ACF will claim it for you once FIDE confirm it is available. If you wish to receive a certificate and pin from FIDE (when delivered) send your current postal address to k_bonham@iinet.net.au and update it if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

2. The player has qualified for FM/WFM or above and has not yet met the rating requirement: When you meet the rating requirement, send your current postal address to k_bonham@iinet.net.au and update it if you move before receiving the FIDE certificate and pin. This will serve as a reminder to claim your title in case I have not already done so.

3. The player has qualified for CM/WCM, wants the title, and has met the rating requirement: Email k_bonham@iinet.net.au stating that you wish to claim the title and include your current postal address. You will be sent payment instructions once FIDE confirms the title. Update your postal address if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

4. The player has qualified for CM/WCM, wants the title, and has not yet met the rating requirement: When you meet the rating requirement, email k_bonham@iinet.net.au stating that you wish to claim the title and include your current postal address. You will be sent payment instructions. Update your postal address if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

5. The player has qualified for CM/WCM but does not want the title: No need to do anything but an email to k_bonham@iinet.net.au confirming you do not currently want the title would be appreciated. You can always claim it later.

Note 1: The delivery of FIDE certificates and pins is unreliable and slow. Please only query the non-receipt of your certificate and pin if not received by at least 15 months after the event.

Note 2: Please contact Dr Bonham by EMAIL ONLY regarding these matters. If you contact him by Chesschat message you will be asked to resend the message by email for records purposes.

Note 3: You do not need to claim norms; we will ask FIDE to add these to your player profile when confirmed.

More details will be posted on Chesschat.org in the event thread in the Oceania section, and if necessary in the ACF Newsletter.

Congrats to all title winners.

Dr Kevin Bonham

ACF FIDE Admin Officer

k_bonham@iinet.net.au

CC Candidate Master
    Random question: if I had forfeited the last round (which I nearly did by mistaking the start time), would that have precluded me from the WFM title? I would have come third on 6.5 points, but there might be some participation requirement which ordinarily doesn't arise.

It seems Clive Ng and John Duneas went searching for me, after quickly agreeing to a draw in their game. It's quite touching that people would do this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Random question: if I had forfeited the last round (which I nearly did by mistaking the start time), would that have precluded me from the WFM title? I would have come third on 6.5 points, but there might be some participation requirement which ordinarily doesn't arise.
    I'm not completely sure about this. I know the points needed for the norm must all be scored over the board, so (for instance) 5/8 played plus a win on forfeit wouldn't have been enough. But I think if you have scored the points over the board you can get away with an unplayed game. This issue affects two of the Guam players who seem to have qualified for CM conditional on rating - they each have at least 4.5 from 8 games plus an unplayed game.

CC Rookie
    Szeleky gained the WCM title at Baku and did not realise that she had to apply for it.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post

It seems Clive Ng and John Duneas went searching for me, after quickly agreeing to a draw in their game. It's quite touching that people would do this for me.
    As the bronze medal winner you would have got the WFM title even without playing the last game.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    So little birdy is bringing some big news from the recently concluded zonal. There are 3 new FM title holders (subject to 2100 rating).

One is local, one is from NZ and one is from Australia.

Both IM norms go to Australia. One goes to Shaun Press and the other one goes to the manager of Australian Kangaroos.
    Shaun Press an IM
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Shaun Press an IM …
    No he just gets an IM norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Shaun Press's report indicates some very short draws in round 8:

http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/201...nal-day-5.html
    Great performance by Shaun in finishing second and still doing his regular blog!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information