Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

CC Grandmaster
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Here’s the tournament in the news: https://www.guampdn.com/videos/news/...ps/2903031002/

CC Candidate Master
    Is there a website you can go to in order to see the results ?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    Is there a website you can go to in order to see the results ?
    It was mentioned indirectly in post 108.

Standings at:

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/tou.../standing.html
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/tou.../standing.html

can click for pairings, etc.

Updates only after end of each round, not live.

Please assist with some confusion, which I freely admit could be all my doing and the advertising on the website is correct.

The tournament standings are showing that the tie break criteria is as follows:

Tie Break legend:
    DirE: Direct Encounter
    Mwns: Most Wins
    MBlk: Most Blacks
    Buc1: Buchholz Cut 1
    BucT: Buchholz Total
    SB: Sonneborn-Berger
    But my reading of here: https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.h...8&view=article says that the tie break should be:

12. Qualification for the World Championship

12.1 Not later than one week after the end of the zonal tournament, the President of the Zone shall report the results to the FIDE General Secretariat.

12.2 If, in a particular Zone, no Zonal or Sub-zonal tournament has been held, this Zone will receive no place in the World Championship In special circumstances a decision will be taken by the Continental President who shall take a decision to nominate other players from the rest of the Continent using the rating list as the basis of his decision.

12.3 If, in any tournament, a play-off is necessary between players with equal scores, the provisions of D.I.01, Section 5.14 shall apply.

12.3.1 The play-off shall begin two days after the end of the Zonal or Sub-zonal tournament, at the same venue.

12.3.2 If two players are involved, they shall play a match of four games.

12.3.3 If three or more players are involved, a tournament will be held among them. The number or rounds in this tournament must be fixed so as to guarantee at least four games for each player.

12.3.4 If the play-off results in a further tie, the provisions of D.I.01, Sections 5.15 and 5.16 shall be applied.

Section 12 only ever applied to a tie for first place to determine the qualifier for the World Cup. It didn't apply to any other ties.

But I also don't believe it is current bearing in mind what happened in 2015 when Illingworth and McClymont played off on the final day. This is in contrast to ties in 2011 and 2013 in the Women's Zonal which were resolved later.

Indeed the entry form information has this:

TIE BREAK
    In the case of a tie for the first place, a playoff match will be required to decide the title of the Zonal Champion. The playoff matches will begin at 2 pm on the day of the final round.
    The 2015 entry information had:

In the case of more than two players tied for first, the title of Zonal Champion and the qualifying place for the 2015 World Cup will be decided by tiebreak.
    Tiebreaks will be based on the FIDE recommended order for tiebreaks for individual Swiss tournaments where ratings are consistent. These are:
    Direct encounter
    The greater number of wins
    The greater number of games with Black (unplayed games shall be counted as played with White)
    AROC
    Buchholz Cut 1
    Buchholz
    Sonneborn-Berger
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 19-02-2019 at 10:54 PM.

CC Rookie
    TIE BREAK
    In the case of a tie for the first place, a playoff match will be required to decide the title of the Zonal Champion. The playoff matches will begin at 2 pm on the day of the final round.

CC Grandmaster
    Only 1 player is on 3/3...very closely contested tournament

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Only 1 player is on 3/3...very closely contested tournament
    Yes it helps Max to get back to the top provided that he doesn't have more disasters. The rest of the field are evenly enough matched that they are very likely to keep dropping points in games between them.

After five rounds Max is back to equal first as part of a six-way tie.

Impressive showing so far by a regular arbiter in NSW and ACT, and regular member of the PNG Olympiad team, Shaun Press. Shaun is in that tie for first.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

In the women's, Becky has defeated Punsalan so now Ryjanova (who is still on 100%) has a one-point lead.

CC Candidate Master
    Also, tomorrow morning is Ryjanova vs. Punsalan, which would have a big influence on the final results. Probably Punsalan is prepared, but Ryjanova avoided my opening preparation (sort of... I still played it, but against a different white opening formation), and might do the same with Punsalan.

Realistically, Ryjanova is a solid player, and it's incredibly hard to create winning chances against her, especially as black. There's probably not much you can do to beat Ryjanova without years of training and becoming a player of comparable strength--she simply doesn't give you winning chances, patiently optimizing each move. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow... it should be an interesting game.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Also, tomorrow morning is Ryjanova vs. Punsalan, which would have a big influence on the final results. Probably Punsalan is prepared, but Ryjanova avoided my opening preparation (sort of... I still played it, but against a different white opening formation), and might do the same with Punsalan.

Realistically, Ryjanova is a solid player, and it's incredibly hard to create winning chances against her, especially as black. There's probably not much you can do to beat Ryjanova without years of training and becoming a player of comparable strength--she simply doesn't give you winning chances, patiently optimizing each move. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow... it should be an interesting game.
    I have a feeling, prepared Punsalan will find it not easy against unprepaired Rjanova

Thread Information