Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I've posted some suggestions and soft-deleted them in case anybody else wants to have a go first.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    The following game results are rated:

1-0 - White wins - Includes games covered by the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2.
    0-1 - Black wins - Includes games covered by the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2.
    1/2-1/2 - Draw
    0-1/2 - White loses, Black draws
    1/2-0 - White draws, Black loses
    0-0 - Double loss - Due to the arbiter declaring the game lost for both players

Both Swiss Manager and Vega allow the following results which are not rated:

1U-0U - White wins - White is present and has moved, Black is present but has not made his first move. Could also be due to the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2 where Black has not made his first move.
    0U-1U - Black wins - White is present but has not made his first move, Black is present. Could also be due to the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2 where White has not made his first move.
    1/2U-1/2U - Draw
    0U-1/2U - White loses, Black draws
    1/2U-0U - White draws, Black loses
    0U-0U - Double loss

Note in the rules prior to July 2014 it was possible for a player to lose due to a mobile phone but the opponent only be awarded a draw if the opponent could not win the game by any series of legal moves.

Does anyone want to suggest circumstances in which they believe 0-1/2, 1/2-0, 1/2U-1/2U, 0U-1/2U, 1/2U-0U and 0U-0U would apply.
    0U-0U could be a game where the arbiter defaults both players e.g. neither player turns up.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    0U-0U could be a game where the arbiter defaults both players e.g. neither player turns up.
    No, it both players don’t turn up then it is a double forfeit and scored as 0F-0F.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

As Bill has commented, it is a double forfeit for rating purposes, but it is also important, probably even more so, that it is recorded as a double forfeit so that the colour allocation of both players are not affected. If it is recorded as a played game, then that increases the white and black count for each player, even though neither player turned up.

CC FIDE Master
    Isn't U unplayed? So would make no real difference?

1/2 - 1/2 U presumably is a draw agreed without at least 1 move each.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Isn't U unplayed? So would make no real difference?
    U doesn’t mean unplayed. It means unrated.

1/2 - 1/2 U presumably is a draw agreed without at least 1 move each.
    It isn’t a rated or unrated draw because according to the Laws of Chess you cannot have an agreed draw if both players haven’t made a move. As such it isn’t a draw of any kind.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 10-07-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Fixed error caused by autocorrect
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Candidate Master
    The following game results are rated:

1-0 - White wins - Includes games covered by the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2.
    0-1 - Black wins - Includes games covered by the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2.
    1/2-1/2 - Draw
    0-1/2 - White loses, Black draws
    1/2-0 - White draws, Black loses
    0-0 - Double loss - Due to the arbiter declaring the game lost for both players

Both Swiss Manager and Vega allow the following results which are not rated:

1U-0U - White wins - White is present and has moved, Black is present but has not made his first move. Could also be due to the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2 where Black has not made his first move.
    0U-1U - Black wins - White is present but has not made his first move, Black is present. Could also be due to the mobile phone article 11.3.2.2 where White has not made his first move.
    1/2U-1/2U - Draw
    0U-1/2U - White loses, Black draws
    1/2U-0U - White draws, Black loses
    0U-0U - Double loss

Note in the rules prior to July 2014 it was possible for a player to lose due to a mobile phone but the opponent only be awarded a draw if the opponent could not win the game by any series of legal moves.

Does anyone want to suggest circumstances in which they believe 0-1/2, 1/2-0, 1/2U-1/2U, 0U-1/2U, 1/2U-0U and 0U-0U would apply.
    Article 12.9 allows for the results 0-0, 0-1/2, 1/2-0, and Article 12.9 is the only means by which these results can occur. On this basis, the results 0U-0U, 0U-1/2U, 1/2U-0U would presumably require the appropriate application of Article 12.9 before both players have made one move.

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE Laws of Chess

Options available to the arbiter concerning penalties:

warning,

increasing the remaining time of the opponent,

reducing the remaining time of the offending player,

increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game,

reducing the points scored in the game by the offending person,

declaring the game to be lost by the offending player (the arbiter shall also decide the opponent’s score),

a fine announced in advance,

exclusion from one or more rounds,

expulsion from the competition.
    Article 12.9.4 only allows a player's score to be increased to a full point, not to 0.5 points. Because of this, I don't see how 0.5U-0.5U can be possible.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 10-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I've undeleted my suggestions which now appear as post 15.

CC Candidate Master
    0-1/2 and 1/2-0 is easy to imagine for me, as I myself came pretty close to get the latter. I was very upset with my opponent for his behaviour during the game and his refusal to resign. So I reduced him to a bare king, and trapped the King between a8 and b8 (its only move). Then I started to promote my remaining pawns on the other side of the board, moving at a snail pace. When the arbiter asked me what the hell I was doing, I answered him to mind his own business. Had I used harsher words or had the arbiter had a shorter fuse, I could have gotten my 1/2-0 score.

The other scores are basically useless under normal circumstances. However, they may be used *during* the tournament as an informative tool.

As we know, it is possible to organize tournaments where the games of certain players are not rated (for instance, 2200+ players in a 60'+30" tournament). If the arbiter is asked to inform the players of their rating variation at the end of each round, he may record the games of the aforementioned players as 'unrated' (of course, 0U-1/2U, 1/2U-0U and 0U-0U would be quite improbabile, even in this hypothesis).

Thread Information