Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    Vlad,
    Those performance ratings for Bobby and James look too significantly low, as do most of the women's performance ratings.
    Bobby's logistic TPR (logistic is apparently better than normal) was 2530 and James' was 2489, so they were ripped off 28 and 22 points respectively by the chess-ratings PRs; of course, we've all seen much much worse.

On the Women's team, I get that Jilin was ripped off 40 points (2332 not 2292) and the rest were all accurate within 10.

On another matter, Ian's excellent reporting of our teams' ups and downs in 50 Moves is easily worth the price of admission alone! I had intended to go down to the venue on the final day but wasn't well so missed out on hearing about all the dramas that occurred, especially the background to the Switzerland disaster.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Bobby's logistic TPR (logistic is apparently better than normal) was 2530 and James' was 2489, so they were ripped off 28 and 22 points respectively by the chess-ratings PRs; of course, we've all seen much much worse.

On the Women's team, I get that Jilin was ripped off 40 points (2332 not 2292) and the rest were all accurate within 10.

On another matter, Ian's excellent reporting of our teams' ups and downs in 50 Moves is easily worth the price of admission alone! I had intended to go down to the venue on the final day but wasn't well so missed out on hearing about all the dramas that occurred, especially the background to the Switzerland disaster.
    When assessing any performance within any sport/field it is important to remain objective. I have a feeling that discussion between Vlad (Anton's dad) and Ian (Illingworth's clubmate) somehow reflects some emotional underpinning on both sides .

And this is exactly why its good to look at performance ratings/naked results rather that deliberate who played well and who did not. Irrespective of whether someone's performance is 2529 or 2528 - if we look at the overall results we can see that: a) Anton and Yuan Performed well b)Max performed not so well c) Bobby and James performed more or less at their ''expected level''.

On another note, a team is a team - and I hope that while at team events - the Auzzie team works together to prepare for the games and the players support each other and all get full support from the captain/coach - this is what team events are all about.

P.S. I still think that Australia has done quite well...and could have done even better. We have arguably a strongest team ever...and Anton, Bobby and James can only get better as their chess careers progress!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    As for the medals, back in the day when medals were awarded on raw score, there used to be a site that presented performance ratings and I think it did TPRs. Not sure if it is still active though. In 50 Moves Ian mentions the case of Ketevan Arakhamia-Grant (SCO) scoring 9.5/10 and being diddled by the batched PRs. Her batched PR was 2549 (6th on board) but her TPR was 2658 (logistic) or 2626 (normal) - which may well have won her a medal if TPR was used, though I haven't checked the other contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    As for the medals, back in the day when medals were awarded on raw score, there used to be a site that presented performance ratings and I think it did TPRs. Not sure if it is still active though.
    It was run by Juha Kivijärv. Unfortunately it no longer appears to be active.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    When assessing any performance within any sport/field it is important to remain objective. I have a feeling that discussion between Vlad (Anton's dad) and Ian (Illingworth's clubmate) somehow reflects some emotional underpinning on both sides .c!

Michael's theory does tend to fall to the ground when his 'facts' are corrected - Illingworth is Smirnov's clubmate and has never been Rogers' clubmate - though Smirnov has been!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    Michael's theory does tend to fall to the ground when his 'facts' are corrected - Illingworth is Smirnov's clubmate and has never been Rogers' clubmate - though Smirnov has been!
    Sorry. My wrong. It's just that given the disparity between Smirnov's and Illingworth's Olympic performances I do not see objective reasons (e.g. Performance Rating) to see why Performance of the 2 could be compared. May be because Max has been coached by you?
    P.S. At least you've been coaching him...According to Max: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....l=1#post371744

P.S My point was actually NOT about who is supporting whom... but about the fact that comparing TPR's and rating gains/losses is an objective way to assess respective performances of the players while a qualitative approach tends to be far more subjects with such matters.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Sorry. My wrong. It's just that given the disparity between Smirnov's and Illingworth's Olympic performances I do not see objective reasons (e.g. Performance Rating) to see why Performance of the 2 could be compared. May be because Max has been coached by you?
    P.S. At least you've been coaching him...According to Max: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....l=1#post371744

P.S My point was actually NOT about who is supporting whom... but about the fact that comparing TPR's and rating gains/losses is an objective way to assess respective performances of the players while a qualitative approach tends to be far more subjects with such matters.
    Your point was to allege bias on both sides, which I reject.
    In any case, the part of the sentence from 50 Moves which Vlad left out in order to mislead Chess Chat readers , was saying that Anton handled board 1 with aplomb. I did not say anything similar about Max.

Thread Information