Current FIDE laws aplying to 10 minute chess - Illegal moves and King captures

On Monday night I am arbiting a 10 minute chess tournament (with no increment). It is not clear to me from the FIDE rules what rules should apply in the 2 following scenarios. Part of the problem is that 10 minute chess falls somewhere in the Blitz - Rapid continuum which I have heard hotly debated!

1. Illegal move by player A - 2 minute time penalty if opponent stops clock and points it out to arbiter? What if player A has less than 2 minutes left? No penalty, just a warning?
    2. King capture (following illegal move) - also time penalty. (Of course at one stage it was ok and meant a victory.)
    Also, is it blitz or rapid rules that apply to 10 minute chess?
    Thanks in advance. Response before Monday 5 pm hoped for.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    On Monday night I am arbiting a 10 minute chess tournament (with no increment). It is not clear to me from the FIDE rules what rules should apply in the 2 following scenarios. Part of the problem is that 10 minute chess falls somewhere in the Blitz - Rapid continuum which I have heard hotly debated!

1. Illegal move by player A - 2 minute time penalty if opponent stops clock and points it out to arbiter? What if player A has less than 2 minutes left? No penalty, just a warning?
    2. King capture (following illegal move) - also time penalty. (Of course at one stage it was ok and meant a victory.)
    Also, is it blitz or rapid rules that apply to 10 minute chess?
    Thanks in advance. Response before Monday 5 pm hoped for.
    G10 flat is Blitz because the rule is Rapid is more than 10 minutes but Blitz is 10 minutes or less. (See B1)

The penalty is therefore 1 minute not 2 but it is added to the opponent, not subtracted from the player.

And yes king capture is an illegal move too. And unless the arbiter also saw the illegal move the king capture was in response to, only the king capture will be penalised since by taking the king the offender has lost the right to claim.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-03-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks, Kevin. Helps a lot.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information