Converting Vega pairings (CSV) to DGT LiveChess (PGN)

I've recently run into the difficulties of managing a tournament in Vega alongside DGT LiveChess, which seemed to require some redundant data entry. For example, I was entering players into both Vega and LiveChess (trying hard not to make any mistakes with names and ratings) and also copying the pairings for each round into LiveChess. I found this quite annoying, and since I wasn't aware of any way around it, I wrote a short script to generate pairing info for LiveChess based on Vega's CSV pairing output. It's a bit of a hack, but it works well enough.

If this is relevant to anyone, it's available on my GitHub -> https://github.com/drgibbon/veg2pgn

CC International Master
    Hi & thanks. Although i don't have much personal use at the moment for dgt live, i'm wondering if anyone can help me import vega pairing and game data into fritz or chessbase to facilitate data entry for tournaments. I'm working on a pgn file for the recent Tassie Champs right now and thinking how simpler life would be if all i had to do was concentrate on deciphering the impossible scoresheet info. (with the other stuff already done). If there's already a simple solution for this, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

If your situation is that you have a completed round in Vega, and you want to export PGN headers for the pairings of that round so that you can enter the moves manually from scoresheets (without having to retype the player names, ratings, etc.), then yes, this script will do that. At the moment it takes a CSV from Vega and outputs a PGN file with headers for:

[Event], [Round], [White], [Black], [WhiteElo], [BlackElo] (i.e., all of this info is collected from the Vega CSV pairings file).

You would still have to set the [Date], [EventDate], and [Site] tags though (and the result after entering the moves). I could probably add some command line switches for those things, but they're not embedded in Vega's CSV file*.

*edit: in theory the result should be in there, but it doesn't seem to be working on Vega 8.0.6
    Last edited by drgibbon; 26-03-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Why not just use the Vega generated PGN file (<tournamentfoldername><round#>.pgn) in WWW subdirectory (www<tournamentfoldername>) inside tournament directory?

Vega automatically generates the PGN headers for each round and it can be conveniently imported into Livechess to populate pairing info.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Why not just use the Vega generated PGN file (<tournamentfoldername><round#>.pgn) in WWW subdirectory (www<tournamentfoldername>) inside tournament directory?

Vega automatically generates the PGN headers for each round and it can be conveniently imported into Livechess to populate pairing info.
    Why not indeed, I didn't even realise that Vega generated the PGN headers as I'd never looked in that directory, thanks!

The only thing the Vega output doesn't seem to cover is exporting national ratings into the PGN headers, my script will also bring in the ratings, so it retains some meagre value for the time being

CC Candidate Master
    Hello,

actually Vega export the rating used for pairing. In case you use the national rating as principal one your PGN will contain it.

Luigi

Quote Originally Posted by forlano View Post
    Hello,

actually Vega export the rating used for pairing. In case you use the national rating as principal one your PGN will contain it.

Luigi
    Ahh I see, it requires changing the tournament option "Initial ranking list sorted by" to "National", then the ratings export works. Thanks!

Thread Information