Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CC Rookie
    Very disappointing tournament in NZ. No analysis rooms, nowhere for coaches to coach, nowhere for parents, despite having to pay $75 for a pass. Also a child safety issue with lack of supervision. No live games. The awarding of prizes for Rapid & Blitz is illogical. Instead of players being awarded the top prize they were eligible for, they were awarded all prizes they were eligible for. Some players received 3 medals & other players who performed well, 4th or 5th for the overall competition received no prizes. Awarding of prizes should be compliant with the multiple FIDE organiser handbooks. ACF need to take this up with FIDE!

Hope the awarding of prizes in the classical event is more logical.

CC Candidate Master
    I support all point of Pegasus. Even parents paid 75 dollars are required to leave playing venue once round starts. Before game start everyone can get to the venue grabbing visitor pass. So no preveleges for those parents who paid money. Prize giving ceremony was complete shock, some kids got 6-7 medals for both rapid and blitz. For U20 group same set of players won U20 and U18, some of them got prizes and in U16.
    Additionally toilets located outside playing venue I believe this contradicts FIDE rules.
    All DGT boards are for U20 group leaving nothing for other groups (they are not broadcasting anyway).
    All players were not reminded about basic FIDE rules, for instance not having phone in playing venue - many players are inexperienced kids. There is no facility to leave phone somewhere so most players do not have choice but to breach rules because they would need to have a way to contact parents after game finishes.
    Last edited by ova; 10-01-2019 at 07:27 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ova View Post
    I support all point of Pegasus. Even parents paid 75 dollars are required to leave playing venue once round starts. Before game start everyone can get to the venue grabbing visitor pass. So no preveleges for those parents who paid money. Prize giving ceremony was complete shock, some kids got 6-7 medals for both rapid and blitz. For U20 group same set of players won U20 and U18, some of them got prizes and in U16.
    Additionally toilets located outside playing venue I believe this contradicts FIDE rules.
    All DGT boards are for U20 group leaving nothing for other groups (they are not broadcasting anyway).
    All players were not reminded about basic FIDE rules, for instance not having phone in playing venue - many players are inexperienced kids. There is no facility to leave phone somewhere so most players do not have choice but to breach rules because they would need to have a way to contact parents after game finishes.
    Re medals, I believe it is possible to win multiple medals e.g. under 12 and under 14. It is only cash prizes where the limitation of one may apply.
    Re poor organization....why not take advantage of kids and parents who came there for ''cheap titles''

Re many players being ''inexperienced kids'' ….well they are playing for Oceania titles...meant to be ''serous chess players''.

On a more serious note....of course this is not good, but other than ''moral responsibility'' to try to run the even as smoothly as possible...are there any instruments to influence the organizers ''resolve'' to run things the way they do. Not award them further tournaments? But if they are the only bidders (often the case) ..they will get to run it anyway.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    AUSTRALIAN DIRECT TITLE WINNERS

The Australian Chess Federation pays for all FM/WFM and IM/WIM titles earned by players registered to AUS. The ACF does not pay for CM/WCM titles and will only claim these on receiving confirmation and payment.

The following is the process for Australian players who have qualified for titles, depending on case:

1. The player has qualified for FM/WFM or above and has met the rating requirement: You do not need to do anything to claim the title; the ACF will claim it for you once FIDE confirm it is available. If you wish to receive a certificate and pin from FIDE (when delivered) send your current postal address to k_bonham@iinet.net.au and update it if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

2. The player has qualified for FM/WFM or above and has not yet met the rating requirement: When you meet the rating requirement, send your current postal address to k_bonham@iinet.net.au and update it if you move before receiving the FIDE certificate and pin. This will serve as a reminder to claim your title in case I have not already done so.

3. The player has qualified for CM/WCM, wants the title, and has met the rating requirement: Email k_bonham@iinet.net.au stating that you wish to claim the title and include your current postal address. You will be sent payment instructions once FIDE confirms the title. Update your postal address if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

4. The player has qualified for CM/WCM, wants the title, and has not yet met the rating requirement: When you meet the rating requirement, email k_bonham@iinet.net.au stating that you wish to claim the title and include your current postal address. You will be sent payment instructions. Update your postal address if you move before receiving the certificate and pin.

5. The player has qualified for CM/WCM but does not want the title: No need to do anything but an email to k_bonham@iinet.net.au confirming you do not currently want the title would be appreciated. You can always claim it later.

Note 1: The delivery of FIDE certificates and pins is unreliable and slow. Please only query the non-receipt of your certificate and pin if not received by at least 15 months after the event.

Note 2: Please contact Dr Bonham by EMAIL ONLY regarding these matters. If you contact him by Chesschat message you will be asked to resend the message by email for records purposes.

Note 3: You do not need to claim norms; we will ask FIDE to add these to your player profile when confirmed.

More details will be posted on Chesschat.org in the event thread in the Oceania section, and if necessary in the ACF Newsletter.

Congrats to all title winners.

Dr Kevin Bonham

ACF FIDE Admin Officer

k_bonham@iinet.net.au
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 23-02-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Haven't seen any official announcement of results by age group and expected direct titles. Unofficially (subject to FIDE confirmation, possible clerical errors by me, and the possibility that rules might be interpreted differently or even ignored altogether) I get that there are no immediate direct titles from the Girls events but that 11 female players seem to have won titles (that they don't already have) conditional on future rating, with 2 of these also getting norms and one more getting a norm alone. For the Open divisions I get that there is a direct IM title (rating condition already met) for a player who had already qualified for it anyway, 4 such FM titles, 2 such CM titles.

I get three players with relevant norms (all of whom got a lower direct title which they are qualified for); I get two of the immediate title winners also getting a higher title conditional on rating, and I get 11 players getting one or more titles conditional on rating only. Some players have multiple conditional direct titles, such that for instance they can claim CM when they get 2000 and FM when they get 2100. It's also possible to get irrelevant norms; if you get an IM norm and a conditional IM title then the IM norm is irrelevant since you will get the title by rating earlier.

In all I have 31 of a theoretical maximum 39 players getting something, with the number being reduced by players from lower age groups winning multiple awards, by players winning titles they already have and in one case by not enough players from a merged group reaching the 50% score minimum. (In that case it was a forced merge so there was no way around it.)

It also seems to me that every player who has any direct title (conditional or otherwise) or norm is from Australia or New Zealand.

If anyone wants to discuss the merits of titles of this kind they may do so on the soft titles thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ith-new-posts)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    ...are there any instruments to influence the organizers ...

hmm there must be some in the torture chambers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    hmm there must be some in the torture chambers!
    Why torture kind people who give away the titles...2100 for an FM title...what an effort
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Haven't seen any official announcement of results by age group and expected direct titles. Unofficially (subject to FIDE confirmation, possible clerical errors by me, and the possibility that rules might be interpreted differently or even ignored altogether) I get that there are no immediate direct titles from the Girls events but that 11 female players seem to have won titles (that they don't already have) conditional on future rating, with 2 of these also getting norms and one more getting a norm alone. For the Open divisions I get that there is a direct IM title (rating condition already met) for a player who had already qualified for it anyway, 4 such FM titles, 2 such CM titles.

I get three players with relevant norms (all of whom got a lower direct title which they are qualified for); I get two of the immediate title winners also getting a higher title conditional on rating, and I get 11 players getting one or more titles conditional on rating only. Some players have multiple conditional direct titles, such that for instance they can claim CM when they get 2000 and FM when they get 2100. It's also possible to get irrelevant norms; if you get an IM norm and a conditional IM title then the IM norm is irrelevant since you will get the title by rating earlier.

In all I have 31 of a theoretical maximum 39 players getting something, with the number being reduced by players from lower age groups winning multiple awards, by players winning titles they already have and in one case by not enough players from a merged group reaching the 50% score minimum. (In that case it was a forced merge so there was no way around it.)

It also seems to me that every player who has any direct title (conditional or otherwise) or norm is from Australia or New Zealand.

If anyone wants to discuss the merits of titles of this kind they may do so on the soft titles thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ith-new-posts)
    You should take into account of K factor changes for a lot of players as per article 8.56 of the FIDE Rating regulations. The K factor will change because all juniors accept for 1 were 40 and many would have played either the Australian Open or the Australian juniors and perhaps both of these events.

lost

As we have not yet received confirmation of the direct titles in the way that has happened in the past with Zonals I have emailed FIDE to check on the process for claiming these, and also to check on whether the rating requirement for conditional titles is (as I would expect) a live rating as opposed to a published rating (this is not explicit in the regulations.)

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    As we have not yet received confirmation of the direct titles in the way that has happened in the past with Zonals I have emailed FIDE to check on the process for claiming these, and also to check on whether the rating requirement for conditional titles is (as I would expect) a live rating as opposed to a published rating (this is not explicit in the regulations.)
    Hi Kevin, just checking if you have heard back from Fide

Quote Originally Posted by Unrated View Post
    Hi Kevin, just checking if you have heard back from Fide
    No I haven't. I will post here when I have anything from FIDE officially concerning what titles are available or concerning any delays.

Thread Information