CC Candidate Master

Not much time in a tricky position.

FEN Viewer

This is a position from a game from a couple of years ago. Its a 30 second increment, and both players have a little over 30 seconds left. In 2 moves, move 40 will be reached and both players will get an extra 30 minutes.

Whites previous move was Bxe2, to which Black replied ...Rxe2.

Before I reveal the full story, what would you play as White? Don't take more than 30 seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For coaching contact Bill Jordan at swneerava@gmail.com
    my Chess ebooks can be found at Amazon Author Central
    and my YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsd...-HNla3kQdhTleQ

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Answer in white:

Take the knight. Might be losing but not immediately.

CC International Master
    Kevin, you played the same move as a Grandmaster in that position.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC Candidate Master
    If 1.Qxh5 Black replies ...Qb5, what would you play with one minute on the clock?

CC International Master
    2.Rc4, in 3 seconds because ...Re1/...Bxf2 kills me otherwise.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC Grandmaster
    actually a very trick position...particularly in time trouble.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    The obvious move 1.Qxh5 must be tried (whether it loses or not). This is what I had intended from several moves earlier.
    If 1...Qb5 I found 2.Rc4 after the game reasonably quickly (though more than 3 seconds). The engine gave the position as equal after 1.Qxh5

Instead I played the irrational 1.Kf1?? (with seconds to go) and after 1...Rxf2+ 2.Ke1 Rf5 I was a pawn down with a horribly exposed King and lost in due course.

Why I have placed this in the Arbiter corner is something happened in this position. My opponent, who had been quiet during the game up to now, became very noisy. He made a long unpleasant whining groaning sound which continued till I was almost out of time. It seemed to mean to me that there was nothing I could do and had a lost position. It might had meant he had missed something.

Whether it was intentional or not, it broke my concentration and I believe it violated the "not distract or worry the opponent' rule.

What is a player to do in such a situation?
    If I stopped the clock and went to an arbiter, the opponent would get valuable extra time (he was short of time too).

If I asked him to stop it, that would use up my time and divert energy from the game.

If I went to an arbiter after I had reached the time control, what would be the point. I wouldn't be able to retract my Kf1??
    A warning or time penalty would have not helped my position.

The 'distract or worry rule' seems to be a highly problematic rule.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FM_Bill View Post
    What is a player to do in such a situation?
    If I stopped the clock and went to an arbiter, the opponent would get valuable extra time (he was short of time too).

If I asked him to stop it, that would use up my time and divert energy from the game.

If I went to an arbiter after I had reached the time control, what would be the point. I wouldn't be able to retract my Kf1??
    A warning or time penalty would have not helped my position.

The 'distract or worry rule' seems to be a highly problematic rule.
    Really this is a problem with any rule where a violation occurs in a time pressure situation. The player has to be aware that if they put in a complaint this may give the opponent more thinking time. This is often still better than trying to ignore the violation and blundering.

It's an interesting question whether an arbiter might ever allow a move to be retracted on the grounds that there had been a distraction. As an arbiter I generally wouldn't allow a retraction in that case but I might if the distraction involved deception. For instance a player attacks their opponent's queen and says "check!" although it isn't check. The opponent instinctively responds by moving their king. The player then takes the queen. I'd revert to the position before the false "check!" call. (That is, unless I was satisfied the false call was deliberate cheating, in which case I'd at least default the player who was cheating.)

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It's an interesting question whether an arbiter might ever allow a move to be retracted on the grounds that there had been a distraction. As an arbiter I generally wouldn't allow a retraction in that case but I might if the distraction involved deception. For instance a player attacks their opponent's queen and says "check!" although it isn't check. The opponent instinctively responds by moving their king. The player then takes the queen. I'd revert to the position before the false "check!" call. (That is, unless I was satisfied the false call was deliberate cheating, in which case I'd at least default the player who was cheating.)
    I heard of a game played about 50 years ago in Melbourne where one player had a winning position but had a few seconds left to reach move 40 (the time control). The opponent had a possible rook check on the back rank and also a possible mate threat by rook to the seventh. The opponent went rook to the seventh and falsely said check. The first player touched his King when any King move allowed mate in one, hence lost. That would be a good case for defaulting the player or allowing a move retraction.

Quote Originally Posted by FM_Bill View Post
    I heard of a game played about 50 years ago in Melbourne where one player had a winning position but had a few seconds left to reach move 40 (the time control). The opponent had a possible rook check on the back rank and also a possible mate threat by rook to the seventh. The opponent went rook to the seventh and falsely said check. The first player touched his King when any King move allowed mate in one, hence lost. That would be a good case for defaulting the player or allowing a move retraction.
    The classic skittles trick is to put the rook straddling the two squares, and whether the king goes to 7th or 8th rank, claim illegal move.
    meep meep

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Really this is a problem with any rule where a violation occurs in a time pressure situation. The player has to be aware that if they put in a complaint this may give the opponent more thinking time. This is often still better than trying to ignore the violation and blundering.
    Good advice.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    The classic skittles trick is to put the rook straddling the two squares, and whether the king goes to 7th or 8th rank, claim illegal move.
    Or in a pawn race move a pawn from the third rank to the fourth and a half rank, then move it to the 6th.

Thread Information