Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Lowest rating ever

May I ask what the lowest ever ACF (or FIDE) rating ever seen is?

Lol, maybe it's too sensitive a question to name names to although the numbers could at least be mentioned .

Someone told me recently of being aware of someone else having a negative ACF rating, though I don't know who the negatively rated person was.

[I expect some moderator will say this has been asked before on Chesschat but I couldn't find a reference].

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    May I ask what the lowest ever ACF (or FIDE) rating ever seen is?

Lol, maybe it's too sensitive a question to name names to although the numbers could at least be mentioned .

Someone told me recently of being aware of someone else having a negative ACF rating, though I don't know who the negatively rated person was.

[I expect some moderator will say this has been asked before on Chesschat but I couldn't find a reference].
    You must realise that lowest rating does not necessarily reflect the lowest players but only the active players. Many older champs refuse to play rated games due to not wanting to lose their high rating - Jammo is accused of being one of those. So we don't know how low they actually are.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

I don't know the lowest but according to Bill's post, there's 50 players between 100-199.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    You must realise that lowest rating does not necessarily reflect the lowest players but only the active players. Many older champs refuse to play rated games due to not wanting to lose their high rating - Jammo is accused of being one of those. So we don't know how low they actually are.
    I'm pretty sure that 'Jammo' would still be rated well over 2000 if he was playing!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    I don't know the lowest but according to Bill's post, there's 50 players between 100-199.
    I believe that there has been a floor of 100 for several years. However, I did find a player with a published rating of 0 on an old list. I've never seen a negative ACF rating, however.

CC International Master
    Rating systems generally have a floor - you don't get a rating initially if your performance is below that level, and if you lose points that would take you below it then either you lose your rating or (as is the case with ACF) your rating only falls as far as the floor.

As usual it's important to remember that ratings are not a fact, they're an attempt to quantify something that is not a physical property. They are especially lacking in meaning at low levels because beginners improve quickly, and because "badness" tends to be chunky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I believe that there has been a floor of 100 for several years. However, I did find a player with a published rating of 0 on an old list. I've never seen a negative ACF rating, however.
    I recall there were one or two negatives before the 100 floor was implemented, but it should be remembered that ratings work on differences, not an absolute number. You could reduce everyone by 1000 and there would be lots of negatives but the relativities and adjustments would remain the same.

CC Candidate Master
    There are some ratings of the form "0-xx" in the 1999 lists (and at least a little earlier, though I have to manually search pre-1999 lists), which I'm guessing are negative; the lowest that year was "0-97", unless I've parsed the files wrong and missed something.

I heard of one player receiving a negative rating from their very first appearance in the rating list, but not sure if it was actually published on the official list.
    Quite easy to do actually. You lose almost all your games and only win one against other beginning players over the first 9 or so rated ACF games. This player improved very much since then and went on to achieve a very good rating.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 02-03-2018 at 02:35 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    Perhaps I can contribute something on this topic, unlike some others who don’t seem to have even grasped what the topic is.
    As I recollect back in the mid-1970’s there used to be a Chess Shop in the Wales Arcade in Collins Street, Melbourne, run by this sweet old lady named Lillian Cullen. It bemused me that she gave advice to patrons who enquired as to which book they should purchase (e.g. “perhaps you should buy this book on the King’s Indian Defence - it’s a very good opening....”) because her rating was negative something, so she must have been one of the lowest rated players in Australia at the time.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC Candidate Master
    The lowest rated played I can recall was a junior Andrew Case. Andrew had a rating of -288 and also had a much stronger brother rated -88 on the same list.

CC Candidate Master
    Wow, cool, thanks, I thought some knowledgeable people would have some great stories! Good for Andrew, he's the current leader ! I actually have a huge respect for people with negative ratings to keep playing and treating chess as a game that should be enjoyed, regardless of your rating, and I actually try to emulate their positive approach to the game. In turn, I'm sure IM's and GM's are similarly amazed that I continue to play chess with my rating .

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    The lowest rated played I can recall was a junior Andrew Case. Andrew had a rating of -288 and also had a much stronger brother rated -88 on the same list.
    Do you know which rating list that was?
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Do you know which rating list that was?
    You'd be better placed to judge than I, since it was not long before you decided to set a lower rating limit of 0.

CC Candidate Master
    Looking through the scanned ratings lists from The Gap Chess Club, I find a pair of Cases on the 1992 lists (Qld) with ratings 88* and 588*, both positive. I can't find them in 1991 or 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    You'd be better placed to judge than I, since it was not long before you decided to set a lower rating limit of 0.
    Between December 1992 and April 1993 the then ACF ratings officer deleted over 8,000 player records from the master file. Also prior to the December 1993 ratings he reset the ratings of all players rated below 800 to zero and their game count to zero. This appears to have resulted in Andrew's rating being reset to zero.
    So his rating was messed with not by Graham or me.

Andrew played no rated games after this.
    Around December 1997 Graham and I re-added a lot of the deleted 8,000 players. We did not restore players rated 1000 or less. At this time we also removed from the file any players showing as rated 0 and no rated games.

Now since Graham and I started running the ratings in August 1996 the first time we came across a negative rating was in August 1998. The kid was -7.

When we switched to Glicko in December 2000 we implemented a printing rating floor of zero however the system would still store internally ratings below zero.
    From September 2004 the system no longer stored negative ratings and the floor was changed to 100.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information