CC Candidate Master

"The Alien Intrusion" movie

I saw this movie in the cinema 2 nights ago.

It was a really good movie, maybe the best I've ever seen (but it doesn't have much to beat coz most films are not that special anyway).

Now I suspect, of course, that's there's only one person on the globe apart from me who has both written on the chesschat forum and will see this movie, especially as he's in it, but I wanted to post somewhere .

However, I was amazed to see them put the wrong name underneath Gary Bates in the interviews in the last part of the screening (the name "Robert Carter" was listed underneath the talking Bates). I know this would likely be a relatively low budget film, but I was surprised they couldn't find one person to watch the film before they issued it for worldwide release because if just one person had watched it, they'd have noticed this obvious error.

Can the best movie I've possibly ever seen have a more glaring error in it than any film I've ever seen or am aware of? I guess so...

Am I being picky, yes? I like to be that way... But Jono was good in the film, I thought

CC Grandmaster
    I'm sure that I'll see a review of this in one of my skeptical magazines eventually. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I suspect that my response would be closer to this review.

While I don't want to derail Capablanca-Fan's burgeoning movie career, did he really make this howler (same link as above):
    In this section, [Capablanca-Fan] makes the surprising claim that the Big Bang Theory is necessary for a belief in the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Just like the bit with evolution in general, it ignores the history of church discussion on this subject of the possibility of extraterrestrial life and pretend as if the whole thing started with either Darwin’s theory, or science fiction itself. For those of you who are interested, we’ve been discussing the theological implications of extraterrestrial life since at least the Middle Ages.

And the idea of banishing Satanic aliens with an exorcism is weirdly similar to the ending of the classic James Blish novel "A Case of Conscience".

^ Creationism - glaring errors and howlers are par for the course.
    meep meep

CC Candidate Master
    "...In this section, [Capablanca-Fan] makes the surprising claim that the Big Bang Theory is necessary for a belief in the possibility of extraterrestrial life..."

Thank Patrick. At the least, I do recall that the movie makes mention of a link between evolutionary/big bang thought patterns and the possibility of extraterrestrial life (and how the former two can pave the way for belief in the latter) and Jono comments in the movie concerning these things. I don't recall the exact wording.

I don't think there are any references to exorcisms in the movie.
    Last edited by Banana; 02-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    "...In this section, [Capablanca-Fan] makes the surprising claim that the Big Bang Theory is necessary for a belief in the possibility of extraterrestrial life..."

Thank Patrick. At the least, I do recall that the movie makes mention of a link between evolutionary/big bang thought patterns and the possibility of extraterrestrial life (and how the former two can pave the way for belief in the latter) and Jono comments in the movie concerning these things. I don't recall the exact wording.
    Thanks Banana for your generous comments about the film and [Jono's] part in it.

Of course, I was talking about the big bang as the basis for the modern big picture evolutionary story and for modern alien sci-fi. I'm well aware that Darwin proposed evolution by natural selection before the big bang, and that alien ideas pre-date this. H.G. Wells wrote before the big bang theory, for example. And in the very first articles I wrote for CMI, which I joined just after all that "Life from Mars" hoopla in 1996, I discussed some medieval ideas about life in other worlds, e.g. Life from Mars? The book Alien Intrusion first came out in 2004, and went into the issue much more deeply, and the documentary was based on the book and updates since then.

The critic is a lone-wolf creationist well known to us, and who has trolled various sites with his obsession with aliens.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Thread Information