Round 5 March 8
    Round 6 March 15
    Round 7 March 22

Entry fees:
    Non-member non-con. $35
    Non member con. $30
    Member non-con. $25
    Member con. $20

Prizes: 1st prize of $150 is guaranteed.
    2nd prize $100*
    3rd prize $75*
    Rating prize $50*
    * Subject to entry numbers.

Register on the day or contact Gael. A round 1 bye can be given to those who enter late.
    We ask players to arrive by 7.40 on Feb.8 .Pay on the day.

Time control: 60 minutes + 30 seconds. All moves must be recorded.

Forfeit time: 30 minutes.

Byes : Two 1/2 point byes are permitted in Rounds 1-5 ( not in the last 2 rounds).

Arbiter : Gael Calvez 0466 593 067 gaelcalvez.gc@gmail.com

Venue: St.Augustine's Anglican Church,90-92 Como Parade West,Mentone.

Public transport: 600 metre walk from Mentone Station,which is located in the same street.
    Buses 708,811 and 812 stop in front of the venue.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 26-01-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Remove late entry condition.

Entries to date:
    Code:
                      C.Beet        1834
                      L.Leontyev    1764
                      M.Mustafa     1407
                      D.Rutherford  1237
                      G.Calvez      1073
                      N.Buys        Unr.
                      P.Jans        Unr.
                      S.Vink        Unr.

CC Grandmaster
    Great to have the Mentone club back!
    It used to hold a weekender ever year that was contested by some of our best players. Furthermore, Simon Rutherford - one of Victoria's leading players in the 1990s used to be a regular there.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Great to have the Mentone club back!
    It used to hold a weekender ever year that was contested by some of our best players. Furthermore, Simon Rutherford - one of Victoria's leading players in the 1990s used to be a regular there.
    I agree!!!

It's good to see traditional chess clubs coming back!

BTW must have been the same Simon Rutherford who organized the Melbourne University chess club (Maths faculty) back in the '90s!
    I stand to be corrected if wrong!
    SSM? which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    I agree!!!

It's good to see traditional chess clubs coming back!

BTW must have been the same Simon Rutherford who organized the Melbourne University chess club (Maths faculty) back in the '90s!
    I stand to be corrected if wrong!
    You could be right....I would think the club existed at MU already at the time of his enrollment though. I never played there..but I can recall watching spirited blitz matches between you and Alex Davies

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    You could be right....I would think the club existed at MU already at the time of his enrollment though. I never played there..but I can recall watching spirited blitz matches between you and Alex Davies
    I don't remember that! If it was a spirited blitz match you might have the wrong guy - I was concentrating on winning the 1993 CCLA Qualifying A Tournament in 1993! I was only at Melbourne Uni in 1993 when Tim Anderson (also from Mentone, but now more into backgammon) was the main organiser (or at least the person who got the sets out). Simon Andersson who posts here sometimes was another regular at that time. I think Simon Rutherford was still in Year 12 in 1993.

I did manage to be co-winner in the Mentone Open that year, but I had a pretty easy draw. I lost to Igor Goldenberg and won the remaining games, including a final round game against Simon Rutherford's father, David (who has registered for this year's event!). The other players with 4/5 all took points off each other; apart from Igor, perhaps they were you and Michael Kagan senior? Maybe Simon played, but I don't recall it. And the event wasn't really in Mentone but a few train stations closer to Melbourne.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavies View Post
    I don't remember that! If it was a spirited blitz match you might have the wrong guy - I was concentrating on winning the 1993 CCLA Qualifying A Tournament in 1993! I was only at Melbourne Uni in 1993 when Tim Anderson (also from Mentone, but now more into backgammon) was the main organiser (or at least the person who got the sets out). Simon Andersson who posts here sometimes was another regular at that time. I think Simon Rutherford was still in Year 12 in 1993.

I did manage to be co-winner in the Mentone Open that year, but I had a pretty easy draw. I lost to Igor Goldenberg and won the remaining games, including a final round game against Simon Rutherford's father, David (who has registered for this year's event!). The other players with 4/5 all took points off each other; apart from Igor, perhaps they were you and Michael Kagan senior? Maybe Simon played, but I don't recall it. And the event wasn't really in Mentone but a few train stations closer to Melbourne.
    Yep from memory, that year was a big tie for first. As far as remember I've beaten Igor Goldenberg with Black in that event in Qc2 Anti-Meran but lost as white to Michael Kagan Snr. after Michael Sacrificed his queen for rook and piece.

wow, incredible info re Mentone, the early 90s chess scene and myself . thanks Michael and Alex!
    Back to the event, let's hope it will be an attraction for chess comebacks
    of strong players of the time
    as well as for current stars to appear!
    Cheers and good luck to all!

E.
    Last edited by ER; 01-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    SSM? which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Round 1 results

Code:
             1. G.Calvez 1073       0-1  C.Beet 1834
             2. L.Leontyev 1764     1-0  S.Vink Unr.
             3. D.Provenzale Unr.   0-1  M.Mustafa 1407
             4. D.Rutherford 1237   1-0  N.Buys Unr.
                P.Jans Unr. bye
    Last edited by Metro; 09-02-2018 at 10:06 PM.

PHP Code:
    Mentone Open 2018Pairing of round 2at 8pm of 15/02/2018

===================================================================================

Beet,Cameron         1.0) - Rutherford,David     1.0) =   -   =  ... 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mustafa,Metin        1.0) - Leontyev,Leon        1.0) =   -   =  ... 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JansPeter          0.5) - Calvez,Gael          0.0) =   -   =  ... 

VinkStefan         0.0) - ProvenzaleDomenic  0.0) =   -   =  ... 

Buys,Nick            0.0) - BYE                  0.0) =   -   1F-0F

Generated by Vega - [url]www.vegachess.com[/url]
    (
    copy licensed toMentone Chess Club AUS

Code:
    Mentone Open 2018: Results of round 2, at 8pm of 15/02/2018 

=================================================================================== 
      1 = Beet,Cameron         ( 1.0) - Rutherford,David     ( 1.0) =   1 -   4 =  0.5-0.5  
      2 = Mustafa,Metin        ( 1.0) - Leontyev,Leon        ( 1.0) =   3 -   2 =  0-1  
      3 = Jans, Peter          ( 0.5) - Calvez,Gael          ( 0.0) =   9 -   5 =  1-0 
      4 = Vink, Stefan         ( 0.0) - Provenzale, Domenic  ( 0.0) =   6 -   7 =  1-0  
      5 = Buys,Nick            ( 0.0) - BYE                  ( 0.0) =   8 -   0 =  1F-0F 

Generated by Vega - www.vegachess.com 
    (copy licensed to: Mentone Chess Club - AUS)

Code:
    Mentone Open 2018: Pairings of round 3, at 8pm of 22/02/2018 

1 = Leontyev,Leon        ( 2.0) -  Jans,Peter           ( 1.5) =   2 -   9 =  
      2 = Mustafa,Metin        ( 1.0) -  Beet,Cameron         ( 1.5) =   3 -   1 =   
      3 = Buys,Nick            ( 1.0) -  Vink,Stefan          ( 1.0) =   8 -   6 =   
      4 = Calvez,Gael          ( 0.0) -  Provenzale, Domenic  ( 0.0) =   5 -   7 =   
      5 = Rutherford,David     ( 1.5) -  BYE                         =   

Last edited by Metro; 21-02-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Code:
    Mentone Open 2018: Results of round 3, at 8pm of 22/02/2018 

1 = Leontyev,Leon        ( 2.0) -  Jans,Peter           ( 1.5) =   2 -   9 =   1-0
      2 = Mustafa,Metin        ( 1.0) -  Beet,Cameron         ( 1.5) =   3 -   1 =   0-1
      3 = Buys,Nick            ( 1.0) -  Vink,Stefan          ( 1.0) =   8 -   6 =   0-1 
      4 = Calvez,Gael          ( 0.0) -  Provenzale, Domenic  ( 0.0) =   5 -   7 =   0-1
      5 = Rutherford,David     ( 1.5) -  BYE                         =   

Code:
    Mentone Open 2018: Pairings of round 4, at 8pm of 01/03/2018 

1 = Beet,Cameron         ( 2.5) - Leontyev,Leon        ( 3.0) =   1 -   2 =    
      2 = Vink,Stefan          ( 2.0) - Rutherford,David     ( 2.0) =   6 -   4 =   
      3 = Jans, Peter          ( 1.5) - Mustafa,Metin        ( 1.0) =   9 -   3 =  
      4 = Provencale, D        ( 1.0) - Buys ,Nick           ( 1.0) =   7 -   8 =    
      5 = Calvez,Gael          ( 0.0) - BYE                  ( 0.0) =   5 -   0 =  1F-0F 

Code:
    Mentone Open 2018: Results of round 4, at 8pm of 01/03/2018 

1 = Beet,Cameron         ( 2.5) - Leontyev,Leon        ( 3.0) =   1 -   2 =   1-0 
      2 = Vink,Stefan          ( 2.0) - Rutherford,David     ( 2.0) =   6 -   4 =   1-0
      3 = Jans, Peter          ( 1.5) - Mustafa,Metin        ( 1.0) =   9 -   3 =   0-1
      4 = Provenzale, D        ( 1.0) - Buys ,Nick           ( 1.0) =   7 -   8 =   0-1
      5 = Calvez,Gael          ( 0.0) - BYE                  ( 0.0) =   5 -   0 =   1F-0F 

(copy licensed to: Mentone Chess Club - AUS)]
    Last edited by Metro; 02-03-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Thread Information