RIP Peter Stuart

RIP Peter Stuart

It is with great sadness for me to learn of the death of our friend, colleague, and NZCF election campaign team member Peter Stuart. My deepest condolences to all his family and friends.

Our website www.newzealandchess.nz that had published our campaign policies has been updated to announce Peter's passing. More information would be published there when available.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Peter Wykeham Stuart, NM, IA, IO (9 Jan 1947 – 19 Dec 2017)

New Zealand's greatest ever player, GM Murray Chandler, writes:

A huge shock to hear of the death of Peter Stuart, who died Tuesday 19th December in North Shore Hospital. Peter was one of the stalwarts of New Zealand Chess with an unsurpassed record as a chess administrator, organiser, magazine editor and NZ representative player. He held the title of NZ Master, was a former president and life member of the NZ Chess Federation. His life-long dedication to the administration and development of chess in New Zealand was greatly admired and respected by his peers. Funeral arrangements to be advised when known.

He was a National Master who played in the NZ Champs many times in the good old days when it was a 12-player round robin. His best was 2nd outright, and he also won the New Zealand Senior Championship in both 2008 and 2009. He was also International Arbiter (2000) and International Organizer (2011), and had been President of NZCF, and was a Vice President and Life Member at time of death. He had also edited the magazine New Zealand Chess, and was an endgame aficionado who had read Fine's Basic Chess Endings cover to cover.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 21-12-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    “I'd like to write a few lines about Peter. I moved to New Zealand in 2007 so I have not known him as long as most of you have. However, during that time, he became a good friend and a trusted advisor. He was a man of complete integrity and the highest principles, dedicated to chess and particularly to juniors and club players. He was a stickler for correct procedures and cost-effective organisation. His enthusiasm and constant hard work kept our club active and involved in every aspect of Auckland chess—ACA Interclubs, NZCF Interschools, Jenkins Trophy matches, internal tournaments in a variety of categories, time controls, and even chess variants (Fischer Random for example), and of course our annual North Shore Open, which he organised and directed.

Peter has also been involved in every aspect of NZ chess on a national scale—Editor of the magazine, President of the federation, International Arbiter and International Organiser, Life Member. At international level he has been a player for NZ (most recently at the World Seniors Team Championship in 2014) and a captain (e.g. the Women's Olympiad team in 2014). His contribution to chess here in NZ is incalculable. And of course he has been North Shore's club champion more times than I can readily count on the trophy sitting in front of me…

We have been honoured to have him on our ticket. His input to our policies was substantial and he shared our vision for junior development and organisational upgrade. In particular, we were encouraged by his confidence in our ability to put our policies into practice. He will be sorely missed by our team and by North Shore Chess Club—but we will continue to present our ideas for the future of NZ chess, knowing that he will be cheering us on.”

Helen Milligan
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information