Thread: RIP Adrian Rose

CC Candidate Master

RIP Adrian Rose

Hi everyone. I am sad to report that long time Canterbury Chess player Adrian Rose has passed away a few days ago at the age of 69. I just heard about it last night, at our club Christmas dinner and it was said he passed away quietly in his sleep.

CC Candidate Master
    Copied from email.

ROSE Adrian Paul
    Passed away 15.12.17
    age 69 years.
    Late of Melrose Village Pendle Hill NSW.

Beloved son of the late Owen & Irene Rose. Dear brother and brother-in-law of Merle, Keith, Sylvia & Ron.

The Funeral Service for Adrian will be held at 2.00 pm on FRIDAY, 29th, December 2017 in the North Chapel at Pine Grove Memorial Park Crematorium, Kington St, Minchinbury NSW.

SALVOS FUNERALS
    261-265 Chalmers Street Redfern NSW 2016

From ACF Newsletter

ADRIAN PAUL ROSE
    5 November 1948-15 December 2017
    (Missing photo at St George prize-giving)
    Adrian was a strong club player, as recently as 2014 champion of the Canterbury CC where he was a regular for over 10 years. Fellow club member Thai Pham said Fred Flatow would pick him up every Monday from his transport terminus so he could play his competition game. Social chess had no interest for him and he was keen to receive trophies rather than money. When he wFrom ACF Newsletter:
    on the club championship a few years ago, Fred recalled he opted to receive a blue jacket with the Bulldogs emblem rather than the alternative $200.
    He was also a constant over 15 years at the St George CC, of which he was club champion in 2008 and 2016, and which he recently represented in the Big Board Matches against rival Norths CC in top-level encounters only last year at board 8 against Kinto Wan on 16 May 2017 at St George, and at Board 6 against Jason Hu on 21 November 2017 at Norths.
    He was reserved but not reclusive, with a low tolerance for noise - a description that could in truth be applied to many a chess player. Recalled Pham: ”Post-mortems in our club are often accompanied by a loud "SHUSH!" or "QUIET" from Adrian. Though he doesn't get too confrontational about the noise, it is clear he gets frustrated by it”.
    He devoted his life to the game he loved and has now slipped away from us leaving a distinct and present void. His family has donated his entire chess library to the St. George chess club in his memory.
    .................................................. ..............
    His funeral notice was published in The Sydney Morning Herald on 23 December 2017 as follows:
    ROSE Adrian Paul
    Passed away 15.12.17
    age 69 years.
    Late of Melrose Village Pendle Hill NSW. Beloved son of the late Owen & Irene Rose. Dear brother and brother-in-law of Merle, Keith, Sylvia & Ron.

The Funeral Service for Adrian will be held at 2.00 pm on FRIDAY, 29th, December 2017 in the North Chapel at Pinegrove Memorial Park Crematorium, Kington St, Minchinbury NSW.
    SALVOS FUNERALS
    261-265 Chalmers Street Redfern NSW 2016
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a friend of Adrian for over 50 year I would like to fill in many aspects of his chess and personal life.
    I first met Adrian Rose when we both worked at the Dept of Immigration in 1966. Adrian was the chess player that everyone refused to play due to his strength but myself being brave and foolish of course I never took a backward step.

Adrian had a difficult time at the workplace due to his reserved nature, he was picked on by bullies, assaulted and sometimes being locked in the vault all lunchtime without his lunch. I stood up for him, maybe he had communicated this to his family because they were extremely hospitable to me when I visited his house for decades to play social chess - yes he played social chess.

We had both finished high school without having the opportunity to obtain the Leaving Certificate (today's HSC). It was not unusual in that era. So we enrolled in the Postal Institute near Central Station, Sydney, that gave us the opportunity to be promoted to clerks in the Commonwealth Public Service, rather than just being clerical assistants. Up to that time I thought I was the best at maths but Adrian was outstanding because could compute three figure multiplications in a few seconds.

Decades later when Lloyd Fell would describe Adrian as being an idiot or some other insult I strongly informed Lloyd that Adrian was brilliant but only he did not know it. So next week Lloyd brought along about ten difficult mathamatical problems and was amazed when Adrian romped throught them. Lloyd treated Adrian with total respect after that.

In 1971 I moved to Townsville for a few years leaving Adrian at Immigration. Unfortunately Adrian was also picked on by one particular boss, for no reason at all that I could detect, so Adrian moved to Dept of Defence (Navy) with his extra qualification hoping for promotion. Adrian got a rougher end of the pineapple than he got at Immigration and so gave up on employment and took up chess seriously.

I know that Adrian was quite successful at playing the stock market and that decades later he investments were still going well.
    Due to my absence from Sydney and on return being married, studying commerce in evenings as well as political campaigning I had little time for chess and Adrian. I did play chess at workplace lunchtimes whenever possible and would religiously invite Adrian every year for my New Year parties where of course chess was the main course.

Adrian's parents were considerably older than him, domineering and really mollycoddled him, even with my big mouth I could not get a word in sideways. When Adrian's mother departed (maybe in late ninties) I thought, "Ah, I will finally get Adrian out and catch him up on everything he missed out on". Not to be, his kind father took over his mother's role admirably and I still could not get a word in edgeways so I gave up that idea.

I don't fully or accurately know Adrian's chess record but I believe that in the seventies he tied in a City of Sydney Championship with about five of Australia top players - this may have been his greatest moment. He was an active junior whose nemises I believe was Max Fuller. At a Doberl he may have suffered a mental breakdown and even a controversial incident. The Adrian I knew hated losing and would live the loss for a good few days. I learnt not to try to win every game from Adrian - the mental cost is not worth it. It is better to lose a few games and stay sane.

Over fifty years I visited Adrian's home dozens of times, staying all day and night, getting thrashed endlessly but thoroughly enjoying it and learning. In the middle of a complex game I would query Adrian for advice and he never once assisted me. It was not until after I had studied books in the eighties that I could begin to take some games off him (after seventeen years) but he would deny that it occurred. An attitude that seems consistent amongst chess champions old and new.

When in the nineties I took up organising tournaments (the Sydney Easter Cup, the CBD Chess Club etc.) I could always rely on Adrian to be a starter and to be amongst the finalists. He and Johnny Bolens educated me on how to do the manual draws and Adrian would be the defacto/default arbiter behind the scenes.

Maybe it was in the eighties that Adrian had an attempt at the simultaneous chess record but there were insufficient starters, it may be been at Bankstown Square. His favourite champions were, I believe, Paul Morphy and Bobby Fischer.

Adrian never touched alcohol or cigarettes nor swore. His other outlet was ten-pin bowling. He never had a driver's license and his hobbling father, already in his nineties, would drive him to Wentworthville train station.

Other players more active and higher-rated than myself could do more justice in relating Adrian's story.
    Last edited by antichrist; 08-02-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Very thoughtful obituary, thanks AC.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Yes well done AC. Rest in peace Adrian.
    meep meep

I am sorry to hear this news, rather belatedly. i knew Adrian from the local Sydney chess scene. May he rest in peace.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I was out of contact with Australia for Adrian's passing but if I had been at his wake I would dedicated Don McLean's Vincent to him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk
    Last edited by antichrist; 26-02-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

http://www.nswca.org.au/halloffame.php

I see here that Adrian did draw for first in the City of Sydney Championship in 1975 tying with M. MacMillan, A. Rose, P.J. Viner, A. Flatow
    Last edited by antichrist; 14-03-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Thread Information