Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    331

    Batumi Olympiad 2018

    Applications for the Olympiad teams are now welcome.
    More information and links can be found at
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Oly...mpiad2018.html

    Remember there is an automatic qualification spot in the Open team for the outright NZ Champion so head to Palmerston North for Congress!

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,661
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    Applications for the Olympiad teams are now welcome.
    More information and links can be found at
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Oly...mpiad2018.html

    Remember there is an automatic qualification spot in the Open team for the outright NZ Champion so head to Palmerston North for Congress!
    What if there is a tie for Champ?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    331
    Only an outright winner gets the automatic place. If there is a tie then all places will be decided by selection.

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    176
    Kind of dopey that you have to win it outright considering it's a Swiss. - Surely top on tiebreak would be more sensible given it decides only 1 of the 5 team places?

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,132
    Quote Originally Posted by flukey View Post
    Kind of dopey that you have to win it outright considering it's a Swiss. - Surely top on tiebreak would be more sensible given it decides only 1 of the 5 team places?
    I can recall that in one of the recent NZ championships, first place was tied by 11 people or so
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I can recall that in one of the recent NZ championships, first place was tied by 11 people or so
    But 1st on tiebreak was just one person

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,661
    Flukey has a point.

    Another question: does an automatic place go to an outright NZ champ even if he or she is not the tournament winner?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Flukey has a point.

    Another question: does an automatic place go to an outright NZ champ even if he or she is not the tournament winner?
    Based on the wording on the entry form, yes.
    IA Craig Hall

    www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bundaberg Weekender 2018
    By Allan Menham in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-03-2018, 12:07 PM
  2. FIDE Laws of Chess 2018
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-01-2018, 05:47 PM
  3. 2018 Candidates Tournament Wild Card
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM
  4. 2018 Australian Champs schedule question.
    By Garrett in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-08-2017, 08:10 PM
  5. European Youth Chess Championship Batumi 2010
    By Witty in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •