Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    325

    Batumi Olympiad 2018

    Applications for the Olympiad teams are now welcome.
    More information and links can be found at
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Oly...mpiad2018.html

    Remember there is an automatic qualification spot in the Open team for the outright NZ Champion so head to Palmerston North for Congress!

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,670
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    Applications for the Olympiad teams are now welcome.
    More information and links can be found at
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Oly...mpiad2018.html

    Remember there is an automatic qualification spot in the Open team for the outright NZ Champion so head to Palmerston North for Congress!
    What if there is a tie for Champ?
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”—Milton Friedman

    “If a private enterprise is a failure, it is closed down—unless it can get a government subsidy to keep it going; if a government enterprise is a failure, it is expanded. I challenge you to find exceptions.”—Milton Friedman

  3. #3
    CC Candidate Master heligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    325
    Only an outright winner gets the automatic place. If there is a tie then all places will be decided by selection.

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    176
    Kind of dopey that you have to win it outright considering it's a Swiss. - Surely top on tiebreak would be more sensible given it decides only 1 of the 5 team places?

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,388
    Quote Originally Posted by flukey View Post
    Kind of dopey that you have to win it outright considering it's a Swiss. - Surely top on tiebreak would be more sensible given it decides only 1 of the 5 team places?
    I can recall that in one of the recent NZ championships, first place was tied by 11 people or so
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I can recall that in one of the recent NZ championships, first place was tied by 11 people or so
    But 1st on tiebreak was just one person

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,670
    Flukey has a point.

    Another question: does an automatic place go to an outright NZ champ even if he or she is not the tournament winner?
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”—Milton Friedman

    “If a private enterprise is a failure, it is closed down—unless it can get a government subsidy to keep it going; if a government enterprise is a failure, it is expanded. I challenge you to find exceptions.”—Milton Friedman

  8. #8
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Flukey has a point.

    Another question: does an automatic place go to an outright NZ champ even if he or she is not the tournament winner?
    Based on the wording on the entry form, yes.
    IA Craig Hall

    www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    www.dancingwater.co.nz - Major sponsor
    www.bensoninsurance.co.nz - Major sponsor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bundaberg Weekender 2018
    By Allan Menham in forum Upcoming And Current Tournaments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-11-2017, 05:01 PM
  2. FIDE Laws of Chess 2018
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-11-2017, 12:30 AM
  3. 2018 Candidates Tournament Wild Card
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM
  4. 2018 Australian Champs schedule question.
    By Garrett in forum Upcoming And Current Tournaments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-08-2017, 08:10 PM
  5. European Youth Chess Championship Batumi 2010
    By Witty in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •