Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,331

    Computer Cheating In Chess - What could be the Ultimate Solution if Any

    My article on computer cheating in chess has been published by Independent Australia few days ago:

    https://independentaustralia.net/lif...ng-chess,10916

    Just curious what others' thoughts on this issue are?

    cheers.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  2. #2
    CC Rookie onionlord77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Cranberry
    Posts
    9
    I do not think it’s too difficult to prevent a lot of cheating.
    Hire some guys to use metal detectors on the players at the entrance - this will stop the players cheating with various devices. Once the round starts, do not let anyone into the playing hall - this will prevent coaches or friends analysing the game with an engine to give the players hints and stop the players from walking out, grabbing their friend’s phone to analyse their game, giving mr friend their phone back and then walking back in.

    This does not prevent a player giving advice to another player (both in the tournament), but it would require a lot of work to prevent that and most cheaters cheat with their phones or their spectator friends instead.
    Last edited by onionlord77; 14-11-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Changed ‘thinks’ to ‘think’
    "Solve the draw death: take a sledgehammer to your laptop..."

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,331
    Quote Originally Posted by onionlord77 View Post
    I do not think it’s too difficult to prevent a lot of cheating.
    Hire some guys to use metal detectors on the players at the entrance - this will stop the players cheating with various devices. Once the round starts, do not let anyone into the playing hall - this will prevent coaches or friends analysing the game with an engine to give the players hints and stop the players from walking out, grabbing their friend’s phone to analyse their game, giving mr friend their phone back and then walking back in.

    This does not prevent a player giving advice to another player (both in the tournament), but it would require a lot of work to prevent that and most cheaters cheat with their phones or their spectator friends instead.
    One issue is...mobile phones can be jammed - but for small event organizers the cost and the ''hassle'' is way too great to handle. Likewise, in a Big Open event with a big playing hall one can not ''disconnect'' such massive areas from the mobile networks without local council permission.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #4
    CC Rookie onionlord77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Cranberry
    Posts
    9
    Hi Michael,
    I’m first going to try to make my previous explanation a bit better
    Look at this little diagram I drew
    1FD3E2D2-3394-496E-8FED-17CB47452609.jpg
    The entrance has two guys with metal detectors and they use them on whoever comes in. Basically this prevents the players from using any sort of device.
    Once the playing starts, nobody is allowed to enter the entrance. This way, somebody can’t have a coach or a friend who analysed their game with an engine to pop in, give them some advice (this can be in any form, a certain number of blinks, coughs, etc) and it also prevent players from going out and then coming back in (they could discuss their game with a friend or coach easily or even use their engine).
    I personally believe this could stop a lot of cheating and without costing much. I agree with you, going so far to completely jam signals would be a bit difficult, but I don’t know if this will help at all, will this stop somebody from using stockfish on their iPhone? And I do not think I remember suggesting this.
    "Solve the draw death: take a sledgehammer to your laptop..."

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,331
    Quote Originally Posted by onionlord77 View Post
    Hi Michael,
    I’m first going to try to make my previous explanation a bit better
    Look at this little diagram I drew
    1FD3E2D2-3394-496E-8FED-17CB47452609.jpg
    The entrance has two guys with metal detectors and they use them on whoever comes in. Basically this prevents the players from using any sort of device.
    Once the playing starts, nobody is allowed to enter the entrance. This way, somebody can’t have a coach or a friend who analysed their game with an engine to pop in, give them some advice (this can be in any form, a certain number of blinks, coughs, etc) and it also prevent players from going out and then coming back in (they could discuss their game with a friend or coach easily or even use their engine).
    I personally believe this could stop a lot of cheating and without costing much. I agree with you, going so far to completely jam signals would be a bit difficult, but I don’t know if this will help at all, will this stop somebody from using stockfish on their iPhone? And I do not think I remember suggesting this.
    I agree.
    What you are suggesting is one of the best possible measures. But even having guys with metal detectors is beyond the budget of some tournaments.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6
    CC Rookie onionlord77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Cranberry
    Posts
    9
    Let’s say the MCC Hjorth Open had the two guys with metal detectors. The time control is 90+30, so most of the rounds should last around 3-3.5 hours, there are nine rounds and I think the minimum wage is around $18. With two people working for most likely 29 hours with $18 an hour and assuming each metal detector costs $50, you are losing $1144. Now while this is a lot of money, keep in mind the MCC Hjorth Open had 96 players. If you increased the entree fee by just $12, you can cover the cost of this. Now while this may be a good idea for this tournament, I do not know how many tournaments are going to have 96 players. If we replace 96 with 30, you will need to increase the entree fee to $38, which I’m sure will deter a lot of people from coming and most likely you will end up losing money. So I agree, I think it would be very effective for tournaments with lots of players and not as well for others
    "Solve the draw death: take a sledgehammer to your laptop..."

  7. #7
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,733
    At the 2015 Isle of Man Open, 3-4 random players were selected just before the start of each round to be checked by someone with a metal detector. Apparently, metal detectors can be purchased for $100-200 (though I can't comment on their effectiveness). It would seem to me that the arbiter could use such a device, to save costs on additional labour.
    Improve your chess with a Grandmaster's direction and understanding, from $1 a month.

    GM, FIDE Trainer; Peak FIDE 2517; ACF 2586. 2014-15 Australian Champion and 2017 Australian Open Champion; three-time Steiner Medal awardee. I coach at the Australian Juniors and JETS and write prolifically. The link details precisely what I can do for your chess. If you share my passion for chess and want to learn from me, here's my email: IllingworthChess@gmail.com.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth View Post
    At the 2015 Isle of Man Open, 3-4 random players were selected just before the start of each round to be checked by someone with a metal detector. Apparently, metal detectors can be purchased for $100-200 (though I can't comment on their effectiveness). It would seem to me that the arbiter could use such a device, to save costs on additional labour.
    Yep, this is yet another option...but even this measure is not used by majority of the organizers. I suspect the first usage of anti-cheating devices here in Australia is hard to envisage in the near future.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. General computer cheating discussion (sf Ian Rogers blogs)
    By ggardiner in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 03-06-2017, 11:31 AM
  2. Computer simulations of playing styles (sf cheating)
    By James Peirce in forum Computer Chess
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM
  3. Do we really have a lot of computer cheating in Australia?
    By MichaelBaron in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 08:49 PM
  4. Cheating at German Championship (sf GM Feller found guilty of cheating at Olympiad)
    By Garrett in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •