CC International Master

Dismantling the Sicilian - New and Updated Edition

My first full book, Dismantling the Sicilian (2017 update of De La Villa's 2009 work), has now been published. You can purchase it and view sample pages here.

I welcome all feedback on the book, particularly with regard to what you found most useful, and where I could have been clearer or more precise.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me – illingworthchess@gmail.com – and I’ll give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth View Post
    My first full book, Dismantling the Sicilian (2017 update of De La Villa's 2009 work), has now been published. You can purchase it and view sample pages here.

I welcome all feedback on the book, particularly with regard to what you found most useful, and where I could have been clearer or more precise.
    Hi Max, couldn't you find some other defense to dismantle? e.g. French, Caro-Kann, Modern?

Did it have to be the Siclian now that I am learning it? (not telling you which variation though)

Ok I am buying the book! I hope I see you around (maybe at the Aus Champs?) to have it signed! Cheers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    Don't worry, I am not so far from dismantling chess itself!
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me – illingworthchess@gmail.com – and I’ll give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

Ordered. Look forward to reading it. Thanks for all the work, Max.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

haha good one! chessic quotation of the year! (for the "not a threat, it's a promise!" category)!
    Last edited by ER; 03-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    What's your opinion on the Efficient Market Hypothesis as it relates to chess?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master

Effing the French

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Hi Max, couldn't you find some other defense to dismantle? e.g. French, Caro-Kann, Modern?

Did it have to be the Siclian now that I am learning it? (not telling you which variation though)

Ok I am buying the book! I hope I see you around (maybe at the Aus Champs?) to have it signed! Cheers!
    First, Max it is great to see that you have updated a book. Analysing games to the extent that they are suitable for publication is a great way to improve. The classic example is David Bronstein's book on the 1953 Candidates tournament which he wrote before his match for the world Championship with Botvinnick. Elliott if you do not already own this book buy it. You will be able to play through the games over and over for many years learning about the middle game.

I am very slowly writing a computer playable book dealing with a repertoire against the French based on correspondence experience.

In the Rubenstein Variation (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe ), a variation played by lazy Grandmasters or stodge merchants, I have a new move on move 4 for white which is not even mentioned in any of my books on the French. I will not go into details as I have a high level correspondence game with the variation. Sufficient that there are no less that ten candidate moves for black all of which require detailed analysis and many of which lead to nineteenth century style positions where steady positional players will be out of their comfort zones. Even better much of the analysis can only be found in obscure or out of print books which I own.

Furthermore I have big improvements in the Albin-Chattard attack and the Frankfurt variation. The latter has been scarcely mentioned since "French: Classical Lines" by T.D. Harding and W.Heidenfield published by Batsford in the nineteen seventies. It is a useful surprise weapon.
    David Flude

Box Hill Chess Club

http://boxhillchess.org.au/

Canterbury Junior Chess http://www.canterburychess.org.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude View Post
    First, Max it is great to see that you have updated a book. Analysing games to the extent that they are suitable for publication is a great way to improve. The classic example is David Bronstein's book on the 1953 Candidates tournament which he wrote before his match for the world Championship with Botvinnick. Elliott if you do not already own this book buy it. You will be able to play through the games over and over for many years learning about the middle game.
    Presumably a typo: Bronstein wrote this after his Botvinnik match (1951). I agree with your recommendation; it was one of my favorites ever since it came out in English during my mid-teen years. Before that, I saw only Kotov quoting it with evidently immense respect in his classic Think Like a Grandmaster.

Have you seen Najdorf's book on the same event, only relatively recently available in English? This is probably even better, and certainly complements Bronstein's book well.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 12-11-2017 at 02:40 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude View Post
    Elliott if you do not already own this book buy it. You will be able to play through the games over and over for many years learning about the middle game.
    Nice to see you back, strong and firing Fludey! Thanks for the advice, I have the book but never had the chance to study it thoroughly. I will follow your advice! cheers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

My copy has arrived. Some good holiday reading.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information