Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chess scandal

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    The chess examples are irrelevant in my opinion. But there is a very strong evidence by Ms Solozhenkina. Given only this evidence, it's far less than 10% of being not guilty.
    You are right to examine the evidence closely. (There are others here who don't firmly believe the evidence at all, but merely stoke the coals in the hope that there will eventuate a mud-slinging contest.)

Can you explain how you ascertained the probability of Bibisara being not guilty to be less than 10%?

Sure, if you believe the `toilet' evidence, then you believe she is guilty. However, this evidence is not strong -- there are serious questions pertaining to its reliability.

1. The testimony is hearsay. Who knows what Miss Solozhenkina actually alleged to her father initially, if anything. I suspect he has just made the whole thing up and told his daughter later to go along with it.

2. Miss Solozhenkina is not the most reliable witness, given she is a weaker rival who would benefit from any finding against Miss Assaubayeva.

3. Whatever happened in the toilet, the evidence is severely weakened by the failure of Miss Solozhenkina to raise it with any authority at the time, and also by the fact that no other witnesses have come forward to confirm the allegations. They will find it very difficult now to prove that any wrongdoing was committed. (However, the Solozhenkins are well aware that it is also impossible, after the fact, for Bibisara to disprove the allegations and overturn the presumption of guilt -- so they will continue to attest to her guilt in the hope that others will join in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    Normally, people don't make up such false accusations in chess.
    Normally people don't rape, kill or commit armed robbery either. Even though your statement is true, I'm not sure that it would be ruled as admissible.

If the chess examples are irrelevant, then is there something more to the prosecution case that we are all missing out on?
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Grandmaster
    So both guilty/not guilty viewpoints have their merits. This is why I would simply wait and see how she plays from now onwards and whether she will remain 2400+ or not.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So both guilty/not guilty viewpoints have their merits. This is why I would simply wait and see how she plays from now onwards and whether she will remain 2400+ or not.
    Α very logical and valid point!
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    SARA CAN WAIT IN THE QUEUE!!

Meanwhile another (*) post by the Anogeia Chess Club regarding Anton's success in Crete
    is going viral on Face Book. Looks like the youngest ever Australian GM is particularly popular amongst the girls!!!
    [/I]
    I have a video of both the 2 games of lightning between Anton and the winner of the other event and the closing ceremony. It is in media player .vob format. I am not sure how to attach it or translate to yutube format. If anybody knows how to do it, I am happy to send him/her the files.
    Last edited by Vlad; 13-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well, I am not comfortable with calling into question all past achievements of a player in the absence of any real evidence. Doing so devalues these achievements and is defamation.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 13-10-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    Think about it: if you observed a main rival using a communication device in the toilet, seemingly to receive information, what would you do? Would you report it to the arbiter immediately so that the perpetrator could be observed and likely caught red-handed? Or would you keep quiet and just tell a family member, several hours after it happened?
    I was on a jury in a criminal case a while back.

A schoolboy observed something nefarious. Did he immediately report it to the headmaster? No. Why not? Because he was 13 and did not know what he should do. So he waited until he got home and told his father.

Thread Information