Any Aussies in Isle of Man Tournament?

Players
    Masters/Major/Minor
    http://iominternationalchess.com/pla...l?limitstart=0

Schedule
    Masters: Saturday 23 September to Sunday 1 October 2017
    http://iominternationalchess.com/inf...-schedule.html

CC International Master
    My good friend IM John-Paul Wallace is playing. I'm not aware of any other Australians but I didn't check the list since June!
    Improve your chess with a Grandmaster's direction and understanding, from $1 a month.

GM, FIDE Trainer; Peak FIDE 2517; ACF 2586. 2014-15 Australian Champion and 2017 Australian Open Champion; three-time Steiner Medal awardee. I coach at the Australian Juniors and JETS and write prolifically. The link details precisely what I can do for your chess. If you share my passion for chess and want to learn from me, here's my email: IllingworthChess@gmail.com.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth View Post
    My good friend IM John-Paul Wallace is playing. I'm not aware of any other Australians but I didn't check the list since June!
    IM John-Paul Wallace is flying the flag for Oceania. Good luck in the tournament.

lost

CC International Master
    I notice that this event is using random pairings for the first round. Which strikes me as one of those "innovations" in the category of "Look at me, I'm really cool and wacky and doing something different for the sake of it." - but that's another topic.

Some time ago FIDE legislated to prevent organisers jiggling last-round pairings to give players norm chances. On the one hand the Manx system is different (because it's random rather than deliberate, and done before the norm effects are known), but on the other hand it involves varying from approved pairing rules. So I was wondering if this tournament will be valid for norms - does anybody here know the answer?

CC Grandmaster
    Rd3 - Shirov's game will probably be the most interesting game to follow. Also, Kramnik will be playing against Tarjian - one of the top US Gms in the 1970's who has been retired from chess for 35 years or so but made a comeback recently.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Daily News
    After a weird totally random pairings for round 1, the players are back to normal pairings for round 2. There were some minor upsets.
    The most unusual thing is Hou Yifan gets her 3rd straight female opponents!
    What are the odds of her chucking another wobbly here?
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    So I was wondering if this tournament will be valid for norms - does anybody here know the answer?
    I am aware of no reason why not.

The relevant disqualifiers are:

Tournaments where the composition is changed (without QC approval) during the tournament or those where players have different conditions in terms of rounds and pairings are not valid.

and

Tournaments that make changes to favour one or more players (for example by altering the number of rounds, or the order of rounds, or providing particular opponents, not otherwise participating in the tournament), shall be excluded.

There are requirements to notify pairing systems to players in advance under the FIDE Competition Rules.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I am aware of no reason why not.

The relevant disqualifiers are:

Tournaments where the composition is changed (without QC approval) during the tournament or those where players have different conditions in terms of rounds and pairings are not valid.

and

Tournaments that make changes to favour one or more players (for example by altering the number of rounds, or the order of rounds, or providing particular opponents, not otherwise participating in the tournament), shall be excluded.

There are requirements to notify pairing systems to players in advance under the FIDE Competition Rules.
    OK, that seem to cover it.

Having said that, if it becomes more than a passing fad I can imagine FIDE having a look at it - it's a loophole waiting to happen, with the added benefit of leaving no audit trail.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    What are the odds of her chucking another wobbly here?
    And she is playing...the 4th female opponent in the row next

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Rd3 - Shirov's game will probably be the most interesting game to follow. Also, Kramnik will be playing against Tarjian - one of the top US Gms in the 1970's who has been retired from chess for 35 years or so but made a comeback recently.
    Tarjian-Kramnik 1-0 - As chess-news.ru commented ''Kramnik lost to librarian from California''

CC International Master
    I have annotated one of John-Paul Wallace's games from the IoM for the upcoming ACF Newsletter. In the meantime, JP has started very well with 1.5/3 (against Bogner, Sutovsky and Movsesian respectively).
    Improve your chess with a Grandmaster's direction and understanding, from $1 a month.

GM, FIDE Trainer; Peak FIDE 2517; ACF 2586. 2014-15 Australian Champion and 2017 Australian Open Champion; three-time Steiner Medal awardee. I coach at the Australian Juniors and JETS and write prolifically. The link details precisely what I can do for your chess. If you share my passion for chess and want to learn from me, here's my email: IllingworthChess@gmail.com.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    And she is playing...the 4th female opponent in the row next
    Amazing that this has happened again. pappubahry has replicated these pairings using Vega.

After taking a half-point bye in round 5, she was paired against a male opponent in round 6.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 28-09-2017 at 11:48 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Amazing that this has happened again. pappubahry has replicated these pairings using Vega.

After taking a half-point bye in round 5, she was paired against a male opponent in round 6.
    How disappointing

Thread Information