Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    As foreshadowed above, the Burnie Shines unfortunately has been cancelled due to lack of interest.
    The cancellation is disappointing but understandable under the circumstances. I'll make enquiries with the TCA Treasurer tomorrow to organise refunds for those who paid in advance online.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    The cancellation is disappointing but understandable under the circumstances. I'll make enquiries with the TCA Treasurer tomorrow to organise refunds for those who paid in advance online.
    Thanks Denis. A number of players who might have played on other occasions didn't enter this time and apparently at the review point there was just the one entry from Hobart and Launceston combined and one from Devonport (whether Wynyard counts as exotic is a topic for another time).

I'm guessing (as it's before my time) that the event was created as there otherwise would just be two weekenders per three years in Burnie on the major events schedule. These days there is the Rapid in Devenport and the Launceston Cup is only about a month away, so it may be that the number of events in the north of the state is unsustainable. I believe that the Tas Open will be in Burnie in 2018 according to the schedule so I can imagine the Burnie Shines being mothballed at least for a year.

CC FIDE Master
    I believe that the Tas Open will be in Burnie in 2018 according to the schedule so I can imagine the Burnie Shines being mothballed at least for a year.
    I'm hoping we can present and approve the 2018 calendar at a quick executive meeting following the Launceston Cup. Unfortunately, numbers are also seriously down in Devonport - so much so, that i've already advised the Secretary that it may not be sensible to require players to travel to Devonport for the Rapid, since we no longer have enough local players to justify it. Obviously, there is a general scheme of arrangement in place already. In the usual course of events it would just be rubber-stamped. However, last week i was the only person present at Devonport - and the cancellation of the Burnie Shines is a clear enough indication that we (at least) need to consider whether the general scheme needs a radical overhaul. It should make for a fun meeting - providing we can get a quorum.

CC Rookie
    It is sad to hear that the event was cancelled. Hope for the next year, the event will be made.

CC Rookie
    Dear Denis,
    At this stage I am not sure to come Launceston or not for the event. If the event is one week earlier (11+12) I can make it but I understand that it is impossible. .

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I'm guessing (as it's before my time) that the event was created as there otherwise would just be two weekenders per three years in Burnie on the major events schedule.
    Burnie Shines started in 2006. At this time the rotation for the Open and Champs was simply Hobart and Burnie, and other clubs held weekenders when they could (normally there was one in Hobart, one in Burnie and one in Launceston).

Thread Information