View Poll Results: Who will be the new Australian Champion?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illingworth

4 14.29%
  • Smirnov

8 28.57%
  • Morris

1 3.57%
  • Cheng

5 17.86%
  • Ly

3 10.71%
  • Lane

0 0%
  • Dale

0 0%
  • Solomon

0 0%
  • Xie

1 3.57%
  • Puccini

3 10.71%
  • Brown

0 0%
  • Reilly

0 0%
  • Ferozkohi

0 0%
  • O'Chee

0 0%
  • Nakauchi

0 0%
  • Kargosha

0 0%
  • Loh

1 3.57%
  • Other (name in thread)

2 7.14%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It was an incredible performance. TPR=2816 (this is by pax's site, not FIDE batched ratings.) One thing I liked was Max's assertiveness with the black pieces - he was better by move 15 with black in nearly every case.

CC Candidate Master
    Congratulations to Max for a fine performance, and to all prizewinners and participants. A warm thanks to the arbiting team and all who helped behind the scenes.

Championship:

1st, and title of Australian Champion: Max Illingworth
    2nd and Offshore Oil Limited Encouragement Prize for best junior: Anton Smirnov
    3rd, and first GM norm: Ari Dale
    4th: Moulthun Ly
    5th: Bobby Cheng
    =6th: Brandon Clarke, Kanan Izzat
    =8th: James Morris, Gene Nakauchi, George Xie, Pauline Guichard, Andrew Brown

Reserves

1st: Nguyen Mai Chi Phan
    2nd: Willis Lo
    =3rd: Ross Lam, Clive Ng and Charles Tsai
    =U2000-1800: Ross Lam, Clive Ng and Charles Tsai
    =U1800-1600: Tom Slater-Jones, David Marsh
    =U1600-1400: Eva Ge, Saffron Archer
    U1400-1200: Joseph Daffy
    U1200: Noah Gong
    Unrated: Ali Alwan
    =Offshore Oil Limited Encouragement Prize for best junior: Vishal Bhat, Michael Ostapenko, Tony Zhong

Classic

1st: David Lovejoy
    2nd, and Offshore Oil Limited Encouragement Prize for best junior: Daniel Melamed
    3rd: Matt Radisich
    U1600: Peter Wilson
    Unrated: Yaqoob Y Yaqoob
    Last edited by mishahu; 13-01-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Norths Chess Club www.northsydneychess.org
    Home of Australia's best chess.

CC Candidate Master
    Especially noting the Norths names above: Max Illingworth, Anton Smirnov, Clive Ng and David Marsh, who again showed that Norths is indeed the home of Australia's best chess.

CC Candidate Master
    Congratulations to all participants, in particular Max, Ari, and Phan.

Norths is an excellent venue for chess, and my family and I were made to feel very welcome. The tournament itself was extremely well run. I certainly enjoyed it more than any other recent event. Thanks and well done to Norths, Nick Cooper, Ian Rogers, the arbiting team (Charles, Alana, Shaun), and everyone else involved in running the Championships for their hard work and hospitality.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 13-01-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Yes well done and thanks to Norths for an extremely well organised and run tournament !

Always nice to play at Norths and hopefully they host more major tournaments in the future.

cheers
    Garrett.

CC FIDE Master
    I would also like to thank everyone from Norths Chess Club for hosting an extremely well run 2018 Australian Chess Championship, Under 2150 Australian Reserves Chess Championship and 2018 Australian Blitz Chess Championship. I hope Paul Glissan,Peter Abbott, Norm Greenwood and all of the Norths Chess Club committee can feel most satisfied with a big job now over and done really well. I too look forward to the next big chess event that Norths Chess Club hosts!

The arbiting team of Charles Zworestine, Shaun Press and Alana Chibnall were all terrific and Nick Cooper and Ronald Scott were most helpful too. Ian Rogers did yet another amazing job commentating on the top boards and it was great to see some of the Championship players come in and show their wins firsthand. Max Illingworth impressed with both his actual play and his thorough opening preparation for each opponent and the exciting games played by Ari Dale were appreciated by all in the commentary room. It was great to see Ari claim his richly deserved first Grandmaster norm.

Thanks everyone once again for putting on a first class 2018 Australian Chess Championship!
    Last edited by StokesyRedcliff; 13-01-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Posts moved

I've moved the posts discussing the status of 10/11 as a "record" score to the Australian Chess History section. It seems to be agreed that it is an equal record score for the 11-round era (Zhao also scored 10/11 in 2010 and Johansen in a year I'm yet to determine.)

CC International Master
    Congratulations to the players, arbiters and norths club on a highly successful event.

Were the ACF medals presented at the closing ceremony?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Were the ACF medals presented at the closing ceremony?
    Good question. I couldn't be there but I'm sure they would have been. When known I'll also add them to the tournament website.

CC Grandmaster
    chess-results says that Smirnov gains 15.7 rating points from his excellent result. If accurate, I presume that this makes him Australia's number 1 active rated player, and only two points behind Ian Rogers retired rating of 2545. I look forward to seeing what he can do on Board 1 at the Olympiad!

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    (...) I look forward to seeing what he can do on Board 1 at the Olympiad!
    Anton stated elsewhere (50 moves magazine I think) that he doesn't mind Board 1 but he doesn't want to lose his Olympiad undefeated status either!
    SSM? which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StokesyRedcliff View Post
    I would also like to thank everyone from Norths Chess Club for hosting an extremely well run 2018 Australian Chess Championship, Under 2150 Australian Reserves Chess Championship and 2018 Australian Blitz Chess Championship. I hope Paul Glissan,Peter Abbott, Norm Greenwood and all of the Norths Chess Club committee can feel most satisfied with a big job now over and done really well. I too look forward to the next big chess event that Norths Chess Club hosts!

The arbiting team of Charles Zworestine, Shaun Press and Alana Chibnall were all terrific and Nick Cooper and Ronald Scott were most helpful too. Ian Rogers did yet another amazing job commentating on the top boards and it was great to see some of the Championship players come in and show their wins firsthand. Max Illingworth impressed with both his actual play and his thorough opening preparation for each opponent and the exciting games played by Ari Dale were appreciated by all in the commentary room. It was great to see Ari claim his richly deserved first Grandmaster norm.

Thanks everyone once again for putting on a first class 2018 Australian Chess Championship!
    The 2018 achievement to commence with in a nutshell (not to mention the enhanced prize fund of $18,000).
    Last edited by Frank; 14-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Thread Information