Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    September 2017 Normal Active list attached.

Do not redistribute this file
    Wait for it to appear on the ACF website.

This is an unofficial version.
    The only official version is on the ACF website.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 03-09-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Updated
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

September 2017 Quick Active list attached.

Do not redistribute this file
    Wait for it to appear on the ACF website.

This is an unofficial version.
    The only official version is on the ACF website.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 03-09-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Updated

I have received 5 additional tournaments overnight.

I will rerun the ratings and advise when I update the above posts

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    I have received 5 additional tournaments overnight.

I will rerun the ratings and advise when I update the above posts
    I would weep if I had to do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    The Brindabella Snows completed on 10 July and the Karl Galli Cup on 17 July at the Tuggeranong Chess Club are missing.
    I still haven't received these.
    I suggest you chase the organiser/arbiter and get them to send the files to the ACT Rating Officer and me ASAP.

Otherwise I won't be including them in the rerun.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I would weep if I had to do it again
    What is particularly annoying is that of these 7 tournaments plus the 2 others from the ACT, only 2 of the 9 finished in August and even then, none in the last 7 days.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    What is particularly annoying is that of these 7 tournaments plus the 2 others from the ACT, only 2 of the 9 finished in August and even then, none in the last 7 days.
    In principle, I'd support surcharging people who needlessly fail to get tournaments in on time, just as FIDE surcharges late title applications. But I suppose a risk with that is they might then not submit them at all.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    In principle, I'd support surcharging people who needlessly fail to get tournaments in on time, just as FIDE surcharges late title applications.
    Sounds fair to me. It is a basic responsibility of the tournament organiser. I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to email the tournament file to the state ratings officer once the tournament has finished.

As it happens however, we all needlessly have to wait. And Bill has to rerun the ratings -- needless extra work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    But I suppose a risk with that is they might then not submit them at all.
    Is this really a risk? The players pay for the tournament to be rated, so they expect the organiser to submit it for rating.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC International Master
    I would prefer not to fine organisers or hurt players by not rating when tournaments are not submitted appropriately. However, something needs to be done to improve the situation. One problem with the current system is visibility. The list of tournaments to be rated comes out at the last minute in a section of the forum that most players don't visit very often. As a result, there is little pressure on organisers from the players to ensure their tournaments are submitted appropriately.

Is it possible to publish a regularly updated list of tournaments received for rating plus any tournaments notified of finishing in the last week in the rating period ( this requires organisers to notify ratings officers that this will occur)? This would allow all players to check and pressure organisers to get their act together. It would also allow organisers to check if some miscommunication has happened.

If that doesn't work, only then would I be in favour of bringing in penalties to get organisers to sharpen their act:
    1. Any non-notified tournaments received within the last week of the ratings period are charged a late fee.
    2. Any tournaments not received by end of quarter are not rated. Players will very quickly learn to check if a tournament is on the list of tournaments to be rated.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian CCC View Post
    2. Any tournaments not received by end of quarter are not rated. Players will very quickly learn to check if a tournament is on the list of tournaments to be rated.
    I don't think you have to go that far. Tournaments could just be rated on the next list (perhaps with an interim run to include the old events in the starting point to avoid anomalies arising from them missing the published list). Whether a tournament happens to fall in one period or another is really just a matter of a wrinkle in the calendar anyway.

Certainly there has to be a point where you say the ratings are the ratings are the ratings, rather than have a series of drip feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    The Brindabella Snows completed on 10 July and the Karl Galli Cup on 17 July at the Tuggeranong Chess Club are missing.
    I still haven't received these.I still haven't received these.
    I suggest you chase the organiser/arbiter and get them to send the files to the ACT Rating Officer and me ASAP.

Otherwise I won't be including them in the rerun.
    Still no sign of them.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian CCC View Post
    I would prefer not to fine organisers or hurt players by not rating when tournaments are not submitted appropriately. However, something needs to be done to improve the situation. One problem with the current system is visibility. The list of tournaments to be rated comes out at the last minute in a section of the forum that most players don't visit very often. As a result, there is little pressure on organisers from the players to ensure their tournaments are submitted appropriately.

Is it possible to publish a regularly updated list of tournaments received for rating plus any tournaments notified of finishing in the last week in the rating period ( this requires organisers to notify ratings officers that this will occur)? This would allow all players to check and pressure organisers to get their act together. It would also allow organisers to check if some miscommunication has happened.
    In Qld, there were similar problems with the Qld Junior Rating List, which have been largely solved (I hope!) by providing such a list. Although that list was emailed to organisers, rather than posted on a website.

Could the list be included in the ACF Bulletin, along with a reminder? And also on the ACF (and hopefully state) website?

I don't know what tournaments have or haven't been submitted to the State Rating Officers until I receive them and process them.
    I don't receive the files from the State Rating Officers until 2-4 weeks before the ratings are due to be published.

CC Grandmaster
    I don't know what tournaments have or haven't been submitted to the State Rating Officers until I receive them and process them.
    I don't receive the files from the State Rating Officers until 2-4 weeks before the ratings are due to be published.
    A website list two to three weeks before the publication date would probably work - that would be similar to what happens with the QJRL.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    A website list two to three weeks before the publication date would probably work - that would be similar to what happens with the QJRL.
    Sounds like something that the states could do fairly efficiently themselves, if they wanted to.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Thread Information