View Poll Results: Should sigfiles containing political or religious references be banned?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • All such sigfiles should be banned

0 0%
  • Only if they criticise another viewpoint

0 0%
  • Keep it as it is

6 85.71%
  • Don't know/don't care

0 0%
  • Other response (please post)

1 14.29%
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Feedback on sigfiles to do with politics and religion

Just thought I'd put a poll up to see what people think about the issue of political and religious sigfiles re Agent Smith's comments in the moderation thread.

The current rule on sigfiles is:

* The moderators/admins reserve the right to delete any sig files they deem to be inflammatory or controversial. This includes but is not limited to criticism of other members, this site or its moderation/administration.

Generally we have not restricted sigs that contain political or religious content, but we have restricted those that attacked other posters or complained about moderation.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-08-2017 at 08:35 PM.

keep it as it is. as long as the pointless whinging thread exists a good balance is thoroughly maintained! the iggy button is also a good anti-troll weapon!
    Last edited by Elliott Renzies; 24-08-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    It doesn't worry you that this website, by in large, represents Australian Chess' online presence, and casual visitors to chess related forums will see inflamatory, abusive of just distasteful siglines in these threads ?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    It doesn't worry you that this website, by in large, represents Australian Chess' online presence, and casual visitors to chess related forums will see inflamatory, abusive of just distasteful siglines in these threads ?
    I have tried, but I can't see anything in JS's sigline that is inflammatory, abusive, or distasteful. Some may choose to be offended by it, but on the other hand there are those who may be offended by your own views on the same topic. The perpetually offended will be perpetually offended -- we should all learn to live with alternative points of view.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 24-08-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    C-F does chop and change his sigfiles quite a lot. The current one doesn't bother me at all even though I'm on the opposite side of that debate. I might have a different view if I was directly affected.

antichrist had some rather forthright ones that used to get a few complaints.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    I have tried, but I can't see anything in JS's sigline that is inflammatory, abusive, or distasteful. ...
    I agree - I can't see any problem with his current one.

You can chose to not see Sigs in the settings, if it really bothers you.
    meep meep

talking from experience, I don't know many people from the chess community who have been put off by the content and or posting styles of chatters to the extent of giving the joint a miss!

I have to admit I've heard comments such as "you guys should concentrate on solving chess positions rather than trying to change the world"!

Generally, I wouldn't like to see more mod / admin interference. It's already too strict as it is (I mean Howie was banned the other day for calling an effing lefty an effing lefty or something) but I don't mind it because the place would end up like Face Book where postings are far more extreme, disrespectful, abusive etc.

I know certain users incl. juniors (I won't name names hehe) of both CC and FB who wouldn't last a minute here if they acted like they do on FB.

All in all, chess players' online personalities vary from nice chaps to harmless crackpots and from hard working chess people to annoying trolls! (again I won't name names)!
    Most are opinionated one way or another!

Personally, I don't mind a bit of sledging and all those I have put on iggy are there for being humourless, unimaginative and repetitious mouthpieces never disagreeing with each other while pushing their political / social agendas!

I mean every time I get this god sent message

This message is hidden because ... is on your ignore list.
    I know by experience that if I filled the dotted line with any of the names of the mother superior and her silly sextet the content of their posting would be so infuriatingly similar it would make me nauseous!

So live, let live, express yourself anyway you think you want to, leave Chess Chat as it is and ignore those who bother you!

Life's too short and the weather in the Mediterranean islands is too perfect to worry about minor nuisances!
    Last edited by Elliott Renzies; 26-08-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    As a minor aside continually taking digs at people on your ignore list would seem to be the very definition of a troll and someone who cannot "live and let live".
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    As a minor aside continually taking digs at people on your ignore list would seem to be the very definition of a troll and someone who cannot "live and let live".
    Especially since I'm actually agreeing with him on this issue

Thread Information