CC Candidate Master

Wikipedia Australian Champions Inaccuracies

I see some inaccuracies (I'm 99% sure) on the webpage of Australian Champions of the past (webpage entitled "Australian Chess Championship" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...s_Championship ). It claims, under "Australian Junior Champions", that the 2012 winner was "Onto Lebreton", a name I have not heard of before and one that doesn't even appear on the ACF master file. Google claims that Onto Lebreton is "an actor, based in NSW".

The 2012 Australian Champion should be listed as Alistair Cameron, according to http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....hip-2012/page7 and page 8 of that thread.

Also, I had a feeling that Lee Fraser was an Australian Women's champion some time between 1985 and 1995, but she is not on that list - but maybe I am wrong?

Does someone who's into Wikipedia and Australian Chess History want to check this and adjust the Wikipedia entry? (when I once tried to do this sort of thing with Wikipedia, it was just changed back.)
    Last edited by Banana; 29-07-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    I see some inaccuracies (I'm 99% sure) on the webpage of Australian Champions of the past (webpage entitled "Australian Chess Championship" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...s_Championship ). It claims, under "Australian Junior Champions", that the 2012 winner was "Onto Lebreton", a name I have not heard of before and one that doesn't even appear on the ACF master file. Google claims that Onto Lebreton is "an actor, based in NSW".

The 2012 Australian Champion should be listed as Alistair Cameron, according to http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....hip-2012/page7 and page 8 of that thread.
    It is quite a mystery how this one happened as based on the page history the edit seems to have been made by a bot but is not clearly documented. I've changed it back.

Also, I had a feeling that Lee Fraser was an Australian Women's champion some time between 1985 and 1995, but she is not on that list - but maybe I am wrong?
    You are correct. Lee Fraser is listed by the ACF as one of the four co-winners in 1994. For whatever reason the 1994 co-winners have never been listed on the Wikipedia page, until now.

The ACF-recognised winners of the titles can always be found at http://auschess.org.au/acf/champions/ for cross-checking of any possible errors.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    While we are discussing honour board irregularities the AJCL honour board lists the state with the champions and the 1981 champion is listed as

1981 Rey Casse (WA)

Rey was (and still is) a SA resident.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It is quite a mystery how this one happened as based on the page history the edit seems to have been made by a bot but is not clearly documented. I've changed it back.
    The Lebreton edit was the one by Eric71717 (edit details); the bot edit that you refer to just flagged that one of the references is now a dead link.

Quote Originally Posted by pappubahry View Post
    The Lebreton edit was the one by Eric71717 (edit details); the bot edit that you refer to just flagged that one of the references is now a dead link.
    Thanks. The Eric71717 account (now defunct) had the temerity to class it as a minor edit.

CC Candidate Master
    Peter Evans in 1985 is definitely Qld, not NSW. He always lived in Kenmore, a suburb of Brisbane. Also when I was playing up until 82 I always thought Rey Casse was from WA. Did he move to SA later? He was a very promising player, do you know what he is doing now?
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

CC Candidate Master
    *Evans 1984 sorry
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Also when I was playing up until 82 I always thought Rey Casse was from WA. Did he move to SA later? He was a very promising player, do you know what he is doing now?
    Is this him? https://au.linkedin.com/in/dr-rey-casse-454b7526

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Yes, that is Rey junior, Rey came from Mauritius via Perth to Adelaide & was a SA resident when he won the AUS Junior.
    “A wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him.” — Niccolo Machiavelli (1469–1527), Il Principe (The Prince)

A wise prince will also realise that this can be achieved more successfully by means other than rape, pillage, greed, lies, deceit or misinformation.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William AS View Post
    Yes, that is Rey junior, Rey came from Mauritius via Perth to Adelaide & was a SA resident when he won the AUS Junior.
    Yes I dug up a chess column from Koshnitsky at the time which also seemed to confirm that Rey was in Adelaide.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post

You are correct. Lee Fraser is listed by the ACF as one of the four co-winners in 1994. For whatever reason the 1994 co-winners have never been listed on the Wikipedia page, until now.

The ACF-recognised winners of the titles can always be found at http://auschess.org.au/acf/champions/ for cross-checking of any possible errors.
    Thanks for the changes and the link. Sorry to nitpick, but Alistair Cameron's first name is spelt "Alistair". The auschess page also has it spelt incorrectly but the ACF ratings page has it spelt correctly. He won the 2012 SA championships with me in second place so I remember the spelling clearly .

I dunno why the 1995 women's champion, Daniela Nutu-Gajic's name is spelt Dana but maybe that is a rare acceptable shortened variant of her name so maybe I should try to stop being finicky about names.

Rey Casse doesn't have too much spare time I believe, being a brain surgeon, but he did find time to take part in last December's simul by GM Vasily Papin but got cleaned up in the end, like I did...

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Thanks for the changes and the link. Sorry to nitpick, but Alistair Cameron's first name is spelt "Alistair". The auschess page also has it spelt incorrectly but the ACF ratings page has it spelt correctly.
    Fixed both - one was my fault, the other wasn't. I've known a lot of Alastairs.

I dunno why the 1995 women's champion, Daniela Nutu-Gajic's name is spelt Dana but maybe that is a rare acceptable shortened variant of her name so maybe I should try to stop being finicky about names.
    Going by Google it seems that she is very commonly known as Dana though in Australian chess circles I have almost always seen her referred to as Daniela. I'll leave that one on Wikipedia to someone who is sure of the facts of the matter regarding what she preferred to be called at the time she won the title in question.

CC International Master
    While we're being nitpicky, I notice that Wikipedia refers to the Aust Junior Championship being restricted to amateurs. I would think all of the contestants are amateurs if we define that as not playing for a living, or none of them in the sense that they have won a cash prize at some point. But is that anywhere in the rules? I've never heard it mentioned (and I don't see why it should be a requirement).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    While we're being nitpicky, I notice that Wikipedia refers to the Aust Junior Championship being restricted to amateurs. I would think all of the contestants are amateurs if we define that as not playing for a living, or none of them in the sense that they have won a cash prize at some point. But is that anywhere in the rules? I've never heard it mentioned (and I don't see why it should be a requirement).
    It's nonsense so I have changed "amateurs" to "players". The errant content was apparently merged in from an old article called "Australian Junior Chess Championships" in 2008. I can't find any still existing records of the history of the old article.

Thread Information