View Poll Results: Will Australia be cashless by 2020?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    9 100.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
  1. #46
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  2. #47
    CC FIDE Master littlesprout85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beyond da Abyss
    Posts
    901
    Sorry there Murrays but Western Union Be Down for at least da whole state of Arizona.Money services in local grocery stores in AZ since feb/2020 have been down due to corona n all meh grocery store management friends don't know if n when da money services part of da store will come back evers even after da corona withers n dies :S.... Think PayPals is still up n running with no interuptions to their services due to corona as far as sprouty knows....

    -Sprout85
    Every One will Catch da Corona19 Virus, May God Help Us All
    You just can't reason with da BA.2.12.1 type Corona19 Virus...... IT DON'T CARE !!!1

    Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458

    Happy 2021 Mickey from Marketing

    The Cashless society will be there by 2020
    What's on the New Banknote
    The new $100 banknote has a range of new security features designed to keep the banknote secure from counterfeiting. The security features are similar to those on the $5, $10, $20 and $50 issued between 2016 and 2019.

    Each denomination in the new series of banknotes will feature a different species of Australian wattle and a native bird within a number of the security features. The $100 banknote features the Acacia pycnantha and the Australian Masked Owl (Tyto novaehollandiae).

    The $100 banknote retains the portraits of Sir John Monash and Dame Nellie Melba, which are drawn from the same source photographs represented on the first polymer $100 banknote.

    The banknote celebrates the contributions of these two outstanding Australians. Sir John Monash was an engineer, soldier and civic leader. He was a significant figure in the building-construction industry. Monash is also widely recognised for his service as a commander in the First World War. Dame Nellie Melba was an internationally renowned soprano who performed in Australia, Europe and the United States of America in the late 19th and early 20th century. In addition to performing, Melba made important contributions to the arts through teaching at the Melba Memorial Conservatorium of Music, now the Melba Opera Trust, in her home town of Melbourne.

    Date of First Issue
    The new $100 banknote was released into general circulation on 29 October 2020.

    Did you know?
    Monash was acknowledged as one of Australia's foremost experts in reinforced concrete for civil construction projects.
    In 1926 Melba published her own singing tutorial the Melba Method and was the first Australian to appear on the cover of Time magazine in 1927.
    The microprint on the new $100 features excerpts from Melba's autobiography Melodies and Memories and a letter written by Monash.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  4. #49
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,406

    Woolworths scraps cashless store trial after customers threaten to boycott

    Speaking of a cashless society

    https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...d66216ff7ccc0c

    Woolworths has ditched a controversial trial of cashless stores after customer backlash, with shoppers saying they still wanted to use notes and coins to pay for their grocery shopping.

    The trial, introduced in June 2020, was taken up by 14 Woolworths Metro stores in the CBD in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

    The move was touted as a way to make grocery shopping as “seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers”.

    But shoppers didn’t like the change, with some saying it wasn’t right for the stores to turn down cash.

    “I refuse to shop at any of your card-only places,” one customer wrote on the supermarket’s Facebook page. “Cash is legal tender and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere.
    That is a partial quote from the article. Click the link for the rest of the article.

    The reasoning seems a bit weak to me. During the year of Covid, it was common place for places to be cashless, or to be strongly recommending pay by card.

    Here in South East Queensland, public transport was moved to Go Card only. This change was advocated for years by public transport groups as a way to get public transport to run on time (bus drivers especially, having to accept coins and notes and provide change for paper tickets increases dwell times at stops, compared to a passenger tapping on and off with their go card)

    But only when the year of Covid hit, did public transport move to Go Card only. And it has not moved back.

    And to the best of my knowledge, other places are not rushing to move back either. So it seems Woolworths reasoning seems a bit light on to me, especially given that it was only being implemented in some of their smaller Metro stores.

    Just to be clear - I do not have any issue at all if Woolworths wants to change their mind on this decision, I just think it is rather poor for a multi million dollar company to have sat around in planning meetings, have said, this is the direction we think is best, and then when some customers say, we do not like it, we are going to boycott, they roll over and change their plans.

    Weak.

  5. #50
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,211
    Many Asian countries have skipped the Western credit card system and moved straight to direct payments. E.g. China has Alipay, a phone payment app that does automatic currency exchange in many other countries that support the system. It also helps blind people since they no longer need to worry about notes they can't read.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  6. #51
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Many Asian countries have skipped the Western credit card system and moved straight to direct payments. E.g. China has Alipay, a phone payment app that does automatic currency exchange in many other countries that support the system. It also helps blind people since they no longer need to worry about notes they can't read.
    Blind people can read bank notes, they are designed with blind people in mind and have accessibility features built in. Such as different denominations having different sizes, and a different number of raised bumps ($5 has 1, $10 has 2, $20 has 3, $50 has 4, $100 has 5).

    Can blind people read the little screen at point of sale that tells them how much their card is about to be debited though? How do they know if the cashier has entered the correct amount (either accidentally or deliberately)?
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    If even inner-city dwelling shoppers want to use cash, that tells you we are a long way from a cashless society.

    Here in South East Queensland, public transport was moved to Go Card only. This change was advocated for years by public transport groups as a way to get public transport to run on time (bus drivers especially, having to accept coins and notes and provide change for paper tickets increases dwell times at stops, compared to a passenger tapping on and off with their go card)

    But only when the year of Covid hit, did public transport move to Go Card only. And it has not moved back.
    Go Card is your ticketing system, you can top it up with cash at a go card machine or retailer.

    And to the best of my knowledge, other places are not rushing to move back either. So it seems Woolworths reasoning seems a bit light on to me, especially given that it was only being implemented in some of their smaller Metro stores.

    Just to be clear - I do not have any issue at all if Woolworths wants to change their mind on this decision, I just think it is rather poor for a multi million dollar company to have sat around in planning meetings, have said, this is the direction we think is best, and then when some customers say, we do not like it, we are going to boycott, they roll over and change their plans.

    Weak.
    What's weak about it? Woolworths is in the business of selling things to their customers. Their customers want to pay using cash. They should be providing more ways to pay, not fewer.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  8. #53
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Blind people can read bank notes, they are designed with blind people in mind and have accessibility features built in. Such as different denominations having different sizes, and a different number of raised bumps ($5 has 1, $10 has 2, $20 has 3, $50 has 4, $100 has 5).
    All those are good things. Australian notes are much better than silly monochrome and uniformly sized American ones without any bumps. Colour is relevant, because most legally blind people have some vision (the article points out much the same). All the same, bumps can be flattened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Can blind people read the little screen at point of sale that tells them how much their card is about to be debited though? How do they know if the cashier has entered the correct amount (either accidentally or deliberately)?
    The smartphone reads out the amount, and Alipay has a signal that a transaction has been successful, and even includes currency exchange rates.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  9. #54
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    The smartphone reads out the amount, and Alipay has a signal that a transaction has been successful, and even includes currency exchange rates.
    Agreed, that's good if they use a smartphone app that can give audio cues. Tapping a credit/debit card would be riskier than cash I guess.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  10. #55
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,211
    Article on Alipay's tech for visually impaired and a video below about one blind user who shops and travels internationally using this.

    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  11. #56
    CC FIDE Master littlesprout85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Beyond da Abyss
    Posts
    901
    Ahhh...Sprout is digging this thread outta da can n opening up da juicy truth about da future...... Here we are fast approaching da new years of 2022 n Cashless Society be totally in full effects. Sprout recently for da past 3 weeks here in Arizona couldn't use any cash at Walmarts. Didn't matter What time of day Sprouty showed up at walleys world or which of da 5 stores that sprout went to. Everyone of these stores customer service departments blamed it all a cash shortage. All other Retail stores n grocery stores didn't have a cash shortage. Why Would Walmart funnel all its customers thru cashless self service checkouts for long periods of time. 1) To gather info on all customers personal data including facial id with & without a mask to give to local big brotha agencies 2)To insure that there isn't any cash in da whole walley world super centers at any time especially after 8pm thus lower security risk 3)save alot of mula on cashiers wages 4) forces customers to just sign up for delivery service n pay em even more(premium prices) cause their website prices be higher than in-store prices plus da sign up annual service fee. 5) By getting more customers to switch to delivery, it'll increase da mula stream enough to build more delivery bots n driverless electric cars in order to get rid of more human employees for said delivery services(Straight outta amazons playbook)

    Also lets look at soon of da Reasons why Society is Fast approaching da cashless status. Big Brotha will say that having no cash in peoples pockets is a safer society. Blah Blah Blah... Reality is that Big Brotha wants to know where all your mula comes from n where you spend it all at,every minute of every day n then do what to each n every one of us :?... TAx da crud outta da little ants in society when da big sharks, da Big Corps Hide behind hug ditch loopholes n pay no tax at all along with da rich like Thump. Sprouty pays more then dat clown n Sprout is considered low class not even middle class. 0h Da Rich Corp Owners Some How Payed Off thru legal lobbyist all those crooks on capital hill to make Sure not 1 Penny will be added in tax to da Rich n powerful including da owners of Amazon & Walmart whom pay no taxes at all.

    Oh Logans Run is Fast Approaching where at anytime your whole world can be Deleted with just 1 keystroke.... Imagine if there wasn't any cash at all n everything revolved around ur 1 digital fingerprint.... Holy Crackers Batman Don't Scare Sprouty like This PLz..... Oh It Be Fine until that day ur id# didn't have da funds in it to cover say your morgage (EEKY) because for some odd reason da paycheck didn't get deposited because of a glitch...oh da glitch is that ur own digital id# got deleted. These things happen alot now, but to have no other way out n just think of how low u could sink before somebody in a position to help restore ur # got back with-cha lolol....

    Sprout kinda got a hint of whats to come by way of a cashless society..Sprout walk thru a walmart n gathered up a 100 bucks in groceries... get to checkout n nobodys there only thing open is self checkout, awsome right :? Not for all da checkout machines are set to credit/debt cards only. after 8 pm no customer service. Sprout had to just leave da groceries n walk out. AUGH !!!! Go A Step Farther n soon everything will be cashless n fully automated... Again For Example (Sprout use to be a Mc D's Mgr) go from da cashless grocery store to da local McD's where they are only drive thru w 0 employees... u order thru da app on ur cellie or right there in drive thru machine n swipe that card.... frigging door opens like at da bank w a bag of food etc.....no worker) Great in Sprouts Mind But....(EEKY) Where are all da people that got displaced from da automitrons taking their jobs :? Are they all fighting over cash in parked cars in order to pay dat rent :? Nope That For Sure Aint Happening for Big Brotha is Taking Cash outta da Equation 1st before any economic meltdown occurs again. CAnt rob a Mc's w 0 employees n 0 cash on hand HAhahAHahaHaha :0

    Heard last week that Facebook is getting outta da sharing faces anymore with Big Brotha after serving faithfully for da past 10 years. Wow, you think its about time after giving 1 billion faces away to said " Big Brotha". Walmart is still sharing all personal info including facial reco with & without a mask along with every DMV in da States. Nope Who Are We Kidding, Logans Run is Already Here Stateside n thanks to Facebook da Grid be almost complete lolol....

    OMG !!! Sprout just had an Da Most Alarming Thought.... PerHAps da Reason Why Big Corps Like Amazon,Facebook,Walmart & google don't pay any taxes is because of these secret agreements w Big Brotha to gather up all da private info on their customers n tossing us all on da Grid. Lets not forget that these Big Corps & Billionaires also send they're lobbyist to pay off Big Brotha AUGH !!!!

    -Sprout85
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 14-11-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    Every One will Catch da Corona19 Virus, May God Help Us All
    You just can't reason with da BA.2.12.1 type Corona19 Virus...... IT DON'T CARE !!!1

    Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

  12. #57
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,411
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesprout85 View Post
    Ahhh...Sprout is digging this thread outta da can n opening up da juicy truth about da future...... Here we are fast approaching da new years of 2022 n Cashless Society be totally in full effects. Sprout recently for da past 3 weeks here in Arizona couldn't use any cash at Walmarts. Didn't matter What time of day Sprouty showed up at walleys world or which of da 5 stores that sprout went to. Everyone of these stores customer service departments blamed it all a cash shortage. All other Retail stores n grocery stores didn't have a cash shortage. Why Would Walmart funnel all its customers thru cashless self service checkouts for long periods of time. 1) To gather info on all customers personal data including facial id with & without a mask to give to local big brotha agencies 2)To insure that there isn't any cash in da whole walley world super centers at any time especially after 8pm thus lower security risk 3)save alot of mula on cashiers wages 4) forces customers to just sign up for delivery service n pay em even more(premium prices) cause their website prices be higher than in-store prices plus da sign up annual service fee. 5) By getting more customers to switch to delivery, it'll increase da mula stream enough to build more delivery bots n driverless electric cars in order to get rid of more human employees for said delivery services(Straight outta amazons playbook)

    Also lets look at soon of da Reasons why Society is Fast approaching da cashless status. Big Brotha will say that having no cash in peoples pockets is a safer society. Blah Blah Blah... Reality is that Big Brotha wants to know where all your mula comes from n where you spend it all at,every minute of every day n then do what to each n every one of us :?... TAx da crud outta da little ants in society when da big sharks, da Big Corps Hide behind hug ditch loopholes n pay no tax at all along with da rich like Thump. Sprouty pays more then dat clown n Sprout is considered low class not even middle class. 0h Da Rich Corp Owners Some How Payed Off thru legal lobbyist all those crooks on capital hill to make Sure not 1 Penny will be added in tax to da Rich n powerful including da owners of Amazon & Walmart whom pay no taxes at all.

    Oh Logans Run is Fast Approaching where at anytime your whole world can be Deleted with just 1 keystroke.... Imagine if there wasn't any cash at all n everything revolved around ur 1 digital fingerprint.... Holy Crackers Batman Don't Scare Sprouty like This PLz..... Oh It Be Fine until that day ur id# didn't have da funds in it to cover say your morgage (EEKY) because for some odd reason da paycheck didn't get deposited because of a glitch...oh da glitch is that ur own digital id# got deleted. These things happen alot now, but to have no other way out n just think of how low u could sink before somebody in a position to help restore ur # got back with-cha lolol....

    Sprout kinda got a hint of whats to come by way of a cashless society..Sprout walk thru a walmart n gathered up a 100 bucks in groceries... get to checkout n nobodys there only thing open is self checkout, awsome right :? Not for all da checkout machines are set to credit/debt cards only. after 8 pm no customer service. Sprout had to just leave da groceries n walk out. AUGH !!!! Go A Step Farther n soon everything will be cashless n fully automated... Again For Example (Sprout use to be a Mc D's Mgr) go from da cashless grocery store to da local McD's where they are only drive thru w 0 employees... u order thru da app on ur cellie or right there in drive thru machine n swipe that card.... frigging door opens like at da bank w a bag of food etc.....no worker) Great in Sprouts Mind But....(EEKY) Where are all da people that got displaced from da automitrons taking their jobs :? Are they all fighting over cash in parked cars in order to pay dat rent :? Nope That For Sure Aint Happening for Big Brotha is Taking Cash outta da Equation 1st before any economic meltdown occurs again. CAnt rob a Mc's w 0 employees n 0 cash on hand HAhahAHahaHaha :0

    Heard last week that Facebook is getting outta da sharing faces anymore with Big Brotha after serving faithfully for da past 10 years. Wow, you think its about time after giving 1 billion faces away to said " Big Brotha". Walmart is still sharing all personal info including facial reco with & without a mask along with every DMV in da States. Nope Who Are We Kidding, Logans Run is Already Here Stateside n thanks to Facebook da Grid be almost complete lolol....

    OMG !!! Sprout just had an Da Most Alarming Thought.... PerHAps da Reason Why Big Corps Like Amazon,Facebook,Walmart & google don't pay any taxes is because of these secret agreements w Big Brotha to gather up all da private info on their customers n tossing us all on da Grid. Lets not forget that these Big Corps & Billionaires also send they're lobbyist to pay off Big Brotha AUGH !!!!

    -Sprout85
    and even if we do use cash...what do we use it for? How many still use cash in supermarket? And can you make a macro purchase with cash? So Sprouty better get used to it .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #58
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    and even if we do use cash...what do we use it for? How many still use cash in supermarket? And can you make a macro purchase with cash? So Sprouty better get used to it .
    Cash is still widely used - even at supermarkets. And littlesprout85 makes a good point - what happens if there is a glitch in the system

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,458
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    and even if we do use cash...what do we use it for?
    I certainly use cash regularly. I use it to:
    - pay my kids pocket money
    - the kids need cash, Eg gold coin donations for fund raising days, markets for homemade products with their peers, many other examples
    - often I use cash at the supermarket, good way to break up denominations for other uses, or to use up excess coins
    - at my local pool I use cash each time I go to swim laps. If someone steals from my bag when I am swimming, they will find nothing of value, no credit card etc.
    - my barber only accepts cash, there is no eftpos machine at all.

    And can you make a macro purchase with cash?
    Anyone who thinks large purchases are not made with cash should go stand by the bunnings trade section, especially the afternoon before a long weekend.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

    See you in another life, brotha.

  15. #60
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Cash is still widely used - even at supermarkets. And littlesprout85 makes a good point - what happens if there is a glitch in the system
    Glitch will be a problem even without $$$ involved. for instance for me to log onto my workstation. I need to enter code that is sent to me via SMS. If my phone is out of charge...what to do .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2020 Olympiad will most likely be in Khanty-Mansiysk
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-04-2016, 09:33 PM
  2. The Anti-Christ Appreciation Society
    By antichrist in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
  3. ACF - A secret society?
    By Brian_Jones in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 15-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •