View Poll Results: Will Australia be cashless by 2020?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

9 100.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    No. Only 361 days left for this to be achieved. It ain't gonna happen!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    So if I would not be playing chess....(more specifically allegros) what would I need cash for?
    P.S MCC club membership/major tournaments entry fees can be paid online (and this is preferred method of payment for post). Re prize money - also checks.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So if I would not be playing chess....(more specifically allegros) what would I need cash for?
    P.S MCC club membership/major tournaments entry fees can be paid online (and this is preferred method of payment for post). Re prize money - also checks.
    What can you use cash for? What can't you use it for?

Another question - what are the chances of politicians, who find aldi bags with 6 figure sums of cash in them, from voting to stop this from occuring?
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    So if I would not be playing chess....(more specifically allegros) what would I need cash for? P.S MCC club membership/major tournaments entry fees can be paid online (and this is preferred method of payment for post). Re prize money - also checks.
    There are lots of small purchases where cash makes more sense - for example, buying a newspaper. And what if there's a major power failure - your card won't be much use?

ER From Money Matters 05-12-2019, 03:53 PM

I used cash (for milk at Woolies) for first time in 11 months today.
    That's due to $323.30 in coins, found during decluttering in a jar forgotten in the back of a cabinet drawer.
    Nice Xmas present, thanks!
    Looks like the $118.80 still remaining will go to the bushfire victims appeal organized by the Salvos.
    Can't find any branch here, so I 'll do that when back in Melbourne!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Looks like the $118.80 still remaining will go to the bushfire victims appeal organized by the Salvos.
    Well, you seem to be using cash even less than I do .

Re donations/fundraising - My donations to the bushfire victims travelled online.

ER From Money Matters 05-12-2019, 03:53 PM

I used cash (for milk at Woolies) for first time in 11 months today.
    That's due to $323.30 in coins, found during decluttering in a jar forgotten in the back of a cabinet drawer.
    Nice Xmas present, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Is this how you normally buy milk?

Well, you seem to be using cash even less than I do .
    haha, I went completely cashless as a NY resolution in Jan, 1st, 2019, but even before that I had only used cash to top my MYKI up!

Re donations/fundraising - My donations to the bushfire victims travelled online.
    Same here, for the Northern Star Chess NSW fires campaign, (*) I donated online $100 for the donation itself
    plus $30 as a symbolic entry fee, since I could not attend. All through credit card, very handy!

(*) was published here!

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....-Dec-VIC/page2 #18
    Last edited by ER; 06-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Michael's horse enters the turn for home, it's last by fifteen lengths and limping and everybody is laughing at it. Suddenly all the other horses fall over and it charges towards the winning post ...

I haven't used cash for over a week now. It's become strongly disapproved of, some stores have even banned it. I've even started using paywave which I previously avoided because I was afraid of it in case something went wrong.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Not a bad time to have a little cash on hand, I would have thought.

We've seen what people do when they think they won't be able to get toilet paper next week. What will they do when they think the ATM will be empty next week?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Michael's horse enters the turn for home, it's last by fifteen lengths and limping and everybody is laughing at it. Suddenly all the other horses fall over and it charges towards the winning post ...
    Michael can't do a 'Bradbury' - he said "by 2020", so the race is already over

I haven't used cash for over a week now. It's become strongly disapproved of, some stores have even banned it. I've even started using paywave which I previously avoided because I was afraid of it in case something went wrong.
    The supermarkets may restrict cash to the self-checkouts, but they won't stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    The supermarkets may restrict cash to the self-checkouts, but they won't stop using it.
    Also still useful for dispenser machines and parking meters, though a lot of those will take cards as well.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Also still useful for dispenser machines and parking meters, though a lot of those will take cards as well.
    Now that cash can carry virus, having a digital payment option is particularly critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    "By 2020" would normally mean before the start of 2020 (otherwise you'd say "in 2020"), so Michael's prediction clearly hasn't come true.
    "in 2020" might sound like a prediction that it would arrive in 2020 specifically and not earlier, so I don't think he would have said that.

I'm used to "submissions must be received by <date>" which, in the absence of a specific time, invariably means submissions must be received by the end of that day, not necessarily by the start of it.

CC Grandmaster
    "in 2020" might sound like a prediction that it would arrive in 2020 specifically and not earlier, so I don't think he would have said that. I'm used to "submissions must be received by <date>" which, in the absence of a specific time, invariably means submissions must be received by the end of that day, not necessarily by the start of it.
    Michael later withdrew from the race

That means probably NO by 2030..not completely cashless anyway. By 2022 probably Yes.

Thread Information