Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Games

chmod -x /bin/chmod

Live Games

If you experience any trouble with live games, please post a message here.

chmod -x /bin/chmod

Re: Live Games

jenni, here is the post by Ian Rout...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    An area where the performance of Australian chess is way below standard in my opinion is that of communication. Until relatively recently it's been almost impossible to get information on forthcoming tournaments and events (other than by asking around for a contact) but of late that's improved. Reporting of what's going on with major tournaments is still patchy at best.

It's important to recognise the role that these events have in generating enthusiasm among the supporter base. For instance during the 2001 Australian Open in Canberra we were getting a thousand hits a day on the web site (though not all from Australia). Failing to excite the fans represents a priceless opportunity lost.

A comparison can be drawn with sports like Aussie Rules where the scores are available in real time, and seconds after the game you can get detailed stats on how many times Plugger pulled up his socks. I don't see how we can say that we are the clever sport; the sports that we sneeringly call dumb are much cleverer.

Of course we don't have anything like the resources of AFL etc so we should perhaps not worry about reporting on Darryl's socks. But putting up results does not take resources; lifting the SP pairings page and pasting it on an HTML page (or even just uploading it as a text file) is a matter of a few seconds. What is needed is not resources but:

- First, a recognition that it is vitally important; not as important as getting the clocks on the tables etc but not far behind.

- Second, devising a means of doing it. If the computer on which the scores are kept is not connected to the Internet then work around that; in the worst case, even if the results have to be telephoned through to someone in another state it isn't hard.

- Third, have a Plan B if something goes wrong.

In other words, to borrow a cliche work smarter not harder. It's not about resoures or effort, it's about organisation.

I speak with the experience of having been involved in a similar event (2001 Aust Open) and so being guilty of the shortcomings described above. We had no real communication process established before the event and really only threw it together at the start. So I'm suggesting, not criticising.

On the other hand getting games up really is mainly a matter of brute force which is probably why there is still only one Round 2 game and no Round 3 games available. Again games are really good to get people involved; my suggestion is to try to type in a handful of interesting/important games and rush them out; the rest can wait.

chmod -x /bin/chmod

Quote Originally Posted by adelaideuni
    To all those concerned,

My name is Alex Saint and I am the volunteer (not paid) webmaster of www.unichess.org as well as a Championships organiser.

1) In regards to the 5 live games, a Reserves player was supposed to bring over some cabling and boards which was kindly offered by Gary . He brought the boards but not the cabling. Hence, we could only place 1 game up. I am sure you will agree this is nobody's fault. The cabling will be sent over ASAP.

2) Round 3 live games were not sent as an organiser in charge of the live games accidentally did not put the cord in correctly. This is despite us checking to make sure it worked in the room.

3) Some of you are thinking we haven't consulted anyone over the matter of live games. This is incorrect. We consulted 2 people: Gary Bekker and Jeo from chesskit.com. As Jeo has mentioned on a previous post, we even had test runs to ensure this facility worked properly. The organisers are committed to transmitting live games as we see this as an integral part of allowing everyone to experience this event. DO NOT assume we are doing this uninformed.

4) Some of you have asked for the draw etc. to be up often just hours after the round. Unforutnately, I am not just the Championship webmaster-I am also an organiser too and am at the venue from 9 am-8:30 pm each day. As Jenni mentioned, I do want to have a life too.

I appreciate you want to know the results etc. but the players/venue itself will always come before anything else.

5) As one person pointed out, some of the photos aren't working. This is the official site of the Championships and as a consequnece I pointed this out on the site that it wasn't working. Once again I am trying to sort this out as best i can. I would appreciate a bit more understanding in the matter.

There are only a few helpers to do a lot of work. Next time some of you are ready to complain about something not being done, I hope you can remember this. Having said this, I very much appreciate faults/constructive criticism on the website www.unichess.org to make it the best possible Championships website. You can email me at championships@unichess.org

If some of you are deeply concerned/troubled by any of these points or you have a major complaint, you can call me at home on 8332 3752. Leave a message and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Alex Saint
    Championships Webmaster
    (on behalf of the Championships organising committee)

CC Candidate Master

test game

PGN Viewer

cheers - paulb

CC Candidate Master
    for the skeptics, the above post is an example of what can be done here

the featurre is underr development but very vpromising I think
    cheers - paulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    An area where the performance of Australian chess is way below standard in my opinion is that of communication. Until relatively recently it's been almost impossible to get information on forthcoming tournaments and events (other than by asking around for a contact) but of late that's improved. Reporting of what's going on with major tournaments is still patchy at best.

It's important to recognise the role that these events have in generating enthusiasm among the supporter base. For instance during the 2001 Australian Open in Canberra we were getting a thousand hits a day on the web site (though not all from Australia). Failing to excite the fans represents a priceless opportunity lost.

A comparison can be drawn with sports like Aussie Rules where the scores are available in real time, and seconds after the game you can get detailed stats on how many times Plugger pulled up his socks. I don't see how we can say that we are the clever sport; the sports that we sneeringly call dumb are much cleverer.

Of course we don't have anything like the resources of AFL etc so we should perhaps not worry about reporting on Darryl's socks. But putting up results does not take resources; lifting the SP pairings page and pasting it on an HTML page (or even just uploading it as a text file) is a matter of a few seconds. What is needed is not resources but:

- First, a recognition that it is vitally important; not as important as getting the clocks on the tables etc but not far behind.

- Second, devising a means of doing it. If the computer on which the scores are kept is not connected to the Internet then work around that; in the worst case, even if the results have to be telephoned through to someone in another state it isn't hard.

- Third, have a Plan B if something goes wrong.

In other words, to borrow a cliche work smarter not harder. It's not about resoures or effort, it's about organisation.

I speak with the experience of having been involved in a similar event (2001 Aust Open) and so being guilty of the shortcomings described above. We had no real communication process established before the event and really only threw it together at the start. So I'm suggesting, not criticising.

On the other hand getting games up really is mainly a matter of brute force which is probably why there is still only one Round 2 game and no Round 3 games available. Again games are really good to get people involved; my suggestion is to try to type in a handful of interesting/important games and rush them out; the rest can wait.
    Thanks Jeo!

I know Ian quite well, so I must stress that I do not believe anything he has said has been critical of current or past organisers. Alex Saint is doing a great job in getting info out.

I think Ian is just trying to get some discussion going on future strategies.

My 2IC on the ACTJCL comes from an elite sporting background and she has often complained of the lack of professionalism in chess. She has commented that until chess starts taking itself seriously no-one else (i.e. sponsors, Govt) will.

One of the changes in management theory over te last 2 decades has been quality control. No longer as in vogue as it was, but many of the good bits have become entrenched. Some of these are qulaity control and continuous improvement and a basic plank of this theory is the creation of written procedures, which are maintained and improved.

This ties in with some of what Ian says. Procedures could be written governing the running of major events i.e Aus Champs, Aust open, Aus Schools Comp, Aus Teams Champs and Aus Juniors. There would still be room within them for creativity e.g. the exact format of supporting events for the Aus open could be left to individual organisers, but the framework is created. This is passed onto each new organiser. A section could exist for each years organiser to write up problems, solutions etc.

This would mean you would not get the silly situation that occurred this year, where I had to inform WA that bylaws governing the running of the schools comp existed. Or last year at the Aus Juniors where the organisers were running around on the penultimate day, like chickens with their heads chopped off, trying to find a copy of the ACF's rules on playoffs, which no-body had known existed until Gary Wastell (I think) informed them.

If something in the procedures does not seem to be working, or has some problem, then a report can go up to the ACF recommending a change, the change can be debated and implemented and over time a better set of procedures is created.

Part of the procedures would be a minimum set of rules governing playing conditions, e.g. air conditioning, junior friendly environment for junior events etc you could have time lines giving organisers an idea of what the critical path is. Guidelines on sponsorship etc.

I also tend to agree with Ian on the importance of the online stuff. We keep on talking of the need to get sponsorship, but it is hard to get sponsorship for little 100 person comps, with no audience. However if you have 500,000 spectators via the internet, then you can generate more interest. Maybe one day we are looking at IBM hosting the Aus champs on their website, with gigantic hits per day! (OK maybe not IBM, but maybe ICON Australia or EDS).

Apart from the potential of sponsorship the live stuff could gnerate a lot more interest in chess. We could be promoting the tournaments via the JCL's and encouraging young kids to watch the games and follow the results. You are not going to get kids to travel to the aus champs to spectate - much easier to get them to checkout the site. I watched most of Rogers vs Depasquale on the ICC and had my family dipping in and out to see what was going on. We were all queued up to watch Gary and Ian play and Gareth and Tony couldn't wait to go over the game together. I guess what I am trying to say is that this is the level of interest we want to engender, in order to advance chess, and as such the internet part is no longer an added extra, but an integral part of the tournament.

Once again we should be looking at ways of making this as easy as possible to implement, so that it doesn't become a burden for already overworked administrators.

CC International Master

[quote="jenni"]

Once again we should be looking at ways of making this as easy as possible to implement, so that it doesn't become a burden for already overworked administrators.
    good point - especially since they are all UNPAID overworked adminsitrators

Account Suspended

Frequent Updates of Championship Results

Hi all,

We have rearranged some of our duties and I should be able to spare some time to inform people of how games are going etc. throughout the day from ~1pm to 7 pm.

The link is:

http://www.unichess.org/phpBB2/index.php

This is the www.unichess.org bulletin board so you can go to www.unichess.org and click on bulletin board if you wish.
    Click on the Results Updates forum from 1pm (1:30 for Eastern states) and we will try our best to constantly keep everyone informed.

Thanks,

Alex and Andrew Saint
    Championship Organisers

CC International Master

Re: Frequent Updates of Championship Results

Quote Originally Posted by adelaideuni
    Hi all,

We have rearranged some of our duties and I should be able to spare some time to inform people of how games are going etc. throughout the day from ~1pm to 7 pm.

Click on the Results Updates forum from 1pm (1:30 for Eastern states) and we will try our best to constantly keep everyone informed.

Thanks,

Alex and Andrew Saint
    Championship Organisers
    Liek I posted on the old ACF BB today, (whcih did not show up :-() your hard work and efforts are very much appreciated.

Have a happy New year

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Any suggestions for the online play?

I got one very useful suggestion, and probably possible to implement.

The suggestion is to pop the board up in a new window, that would allow to watch multiple boards at once, which is a great idea.

CC International Master
    Any suggestions for the online play?

I got one very useful suggestion, and probably possible to implement.

The suggestion is to pop the board up in a new window, that would allow to watch multiple boards at once, which is a great idea.
    yes, that would be a great idea indeed

thatway we can watch the top 4 boards from the ACC at the same time?

how easy/hard is it to implement, and would it be in time before the ACC finishes?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Not sure..

However Ive set up automatic live HTML games and that you can open in a new window.

What I can do is just put a chat window and HTML game on the same page, so you can watch the game in the top half of the screen, and give analysis etc on the bottom part, where the chat will be.

CC International Master
    Not sure..

However Ive set up automatic live HTML games and that you can open in a new window.

What I can do is just put a chat window and HTML game on the same page, so you can watch the game in the top half of the screen, and give analysis etc on the bottom part, where the chat will be.
    that woudl be great. We can then chat about the game whilst watching it, giving our opinions?

is this functionality avaible from this site for the ACC games?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Well for round 1 and 2 what I did was relay it onto the play system so people can chat, but the play system isn't up to scratch yet, the one that is up now is the first multiplayer chess game in flash to ever be released. All bugs etc should be fixed in a few months, then I can start to add more functionality.

I guess the real question is can the organisers get at least one game displayed live tomorrow.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information