Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    ... Someone suggested lie detector
    Lie detectors are not reliable unfortunately. And if Pell didn't testify at his own trial, it's unlikely he would take a lie-detector test.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Normally someone with such proclivities doesn't confine it to one person.
    You might want to check out last night's 4 Corners.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    You might want to check out last night's 4 Corners.
    Thanks for posting this link.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Thanks for posting this link.
    No worries.

I thought this was quite instructive as well. David Marr on the rise of George Pell (27 min audio, also available as a podcast).
    meep meep

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Pell jailed for six years. Minimum non-parole period three years and eight months.

Doubters’ outcry over Pell verdict disrespectful to jury, legal system
    Doubters’ outcry over Lindy Chamberlain verdict disrespectful to jury, legal system
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

The sentencing of Convicted Paedophile Catholic Priest Cardinal Pell.
    Now a registered sex offender.
    Still a cardinal.

meep meep

CC FIDE Master
    Still no coverage on the ABC of the Appeal judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen!

https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/...n-2019-vsca-52

Yet Tony Jones solemnly declares on Q & A (4 March) that it is disrespectful for anyone to question a decision of a jury (which presumably includes the 3 Appeal judges); and Charlie Pickering (20 March) insists that the voice of the victim should not be contested. That's what's known as 'balance' on the ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Still no coverage on the ABC of the Appeal judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen!

https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/...n-2019-vsca-52

Yet Tony Jones solemnly declares on Q & A (4 March) that it is disrespectful for anyone to question a decision of a jury (which presumably includes the 3 Appeal judges); and Charlie Pickering (20 March) insists that the voice of the victim should not be contested. That's what's known as 'balance' on the ABC.
    Probably in the wrong thread, but do you see bias when the ABC supports the judicial process?
    meep meep

CC FIDE Master
    Probably in the wrong thread, but do you see bias when the ABC supports the judicial process?
    If it is in the wrong thread it will be moved eventually. In the meantime:

- the judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen is significant and should have been covered by the national broadcaster, and particularly so given the extensive reporting of the Pell case.

- the comments by Jones and Pickering reflect an ignorance of judicial process - as the judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen clearly demonstrates. To assert that complainants must always be believed, or to assert that it is disrespectful to question the decision of a jury, effectively holds the judicial process in contempt.

I do not believe Tony Jones or Charlie Pickering intended to treat the judicial process with contempt; however, I do believe they 'misspoke.'
    Last edited by idledim; 02-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.

I notice you didn't answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    If it is in the wrong thread it will be moved eventually. In the meantime:

- the judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen is significant and should have been covered by the national broadcaster, and particularly so given the extensive reporting of the Pell case.
    Indeed it is a sad day when a lowly clergyman buggering kids is so common place that it doesn't even make the news. Apparently to make a splash now, you have to get to Cardinal and stick your cock down a boy's throat.

- the comments by Jones and Pickering reflect an ignorance of judicial process - as the judgement in Tyrrell v. The Queen clearly demonstrates. To assert that complainants must always be believed, or to assert that it is disrespectful to question the decision of a jury, effectively holds the judicial process in contempt.
    Only moments ago on the board, you were pointing out that Patrick shouldn't comment on a The Australian article before having read it in full; I wonder if you'll hold yourself to the same standard having not heard the witness' testimony in the Pell case. Clearly others, including on this thread, haven't.

I do not believe Tony Jones or Charlie Pickering intended to treat the judicial process with contempt; however, I do believe they 'misspoke.'
    A journalist misspeaking is a big fish for you fry, is it?
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    I think we should be careful of our language on the public section of Chess Chat. Children do visit this site - although probably not this particular thread.

CC FIDE Master
    I have not commented on the Pell conviction, either on this thread or anywhere else. My only contributions have been to link an article by Father Frank Brennan and an article by Professor Greg Craven, and to suggest, following the unanimous decision of the 3 Appeal judges to acquit John Francis Tyrrell, that comments made by Tony Jones and Charlie Pickering reflected a general ignorance of judicial process. Clearly, the 3 judges rejected the decision of the jury and, as clearly, rejected the allegations of the complainant.

On the other hand, even though the judicial process has not yet been exhausted in the Pell case, your lack of respect for judicial process has been everywhere apparent. You have found Cardinal Pell guilty of charges that were so problematic they never even made it to trial. You have acted with reckless contempt of the Appeal process - your comments also usually reflecting a basic ignorance of the duty of the Appeals court in Victoria. You seem convinced that the jury decision in the Pell case could only be successfully overturned on technical legal grounds. This is not so. The court must also independently review the evidence. Indeed, the High Court has ruled that it must and I am confident it will do its duty.

In the Tyrrell case the court found significant difficulties with the evidence the jury had accepted, and acquitted Tyrrell. If you had any genuine respect for judicial process you would understand that John Francis Tyrrell is an innocent man who was wrongfully convicted. Your reference to "a lowly clergyman buggering kids" is thus doubly appalling. It is a disgusting slander on an innocent man, and also reflects a refusal to accept the judicial procedures you claim to champion.

Why do so many people disrespect the appeals process?

TWO CATHOLIC PRIESTS WRONGLY CONVICTED. IS PELL THE THIRD?
    Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun
    17 March 2019

John Francis Tyrrell walked free from jail last week, an innocent man ruined.
    Yet another Catholic priest falsely convicted.

Just last December, another Catholic, former Adelaide archbishop Philip Wilson, was also freed. Also wrongly convicted, said a judge.

Two such cases in just three months should make many media commentators pause.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think we should be careful of our language on the public section of Chess Chat. Children do visit this site - although probably not this particular thread.
    I wouldn't be against moving the thread to coffee lounge if that is a concern. But I think it's important to call the conviction for what it is, and to remind those defending Pell of what they are defending.

Though if idledim's remarks are anything to go by, it's likely people aren't reading the thread carefully anyway.
    meep meep

Thread Information