Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Lidums Young Masters 2017

Welcome back to another year of the Lidums Young Masters!

In 2016 the Young Masters tournament was hugely successful, resulting in two final IM norms for Xiangyi Liu from Singapore and Li Tian Yeoh from Malaysia, as well as the FM title for WA player Patrick Gong.

This year we have set our goals even higher and are not only hosting an IM norm event, but also a GM norm round robin pool! Of course the Open and U1600 categories will be running as normal.

So start registering your interest early so that you don’t miss out on over $6000 worth in prize money!

We are also happy to receive your requests to be placed in the IM or GM norm event via chesslife@bigpond.com

The Young Masters GM and IM norm event (Invitational) will run from Saturday 2nd December – Friday 8th December
    FIDE, 90min + 30 sec per move

The Junior Masters Open will run from Monday 4th December – Friday 8th December
    FIDE, 90 min + 30 sec per move

The Junior Masters U1600 will run from Wednesday 6th December – Friday 8th December
    ACF, 60 min + 10 sec per move

The Young and Junior Masters is for all players under the age of 30.

Are you interested in playing? Why not register your interest by emailing us on chesslife@bigpond.com

The tournament will take place at the Adelaide University. For more details check out the Venue page
    We have listed some of the big accommodation websites for you if you are looking for a place to stay.

Fedja Zulfic, Sabrina and David Koetsier
    2017 Organising Committee
    www.lidumsaym.com

CC Candidate Master
    Will these dates clash with the Oceania Junior event, not entirely sure of the name, I just know it's an event promising titles to winners

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    Will these dates clash with the Oceania Junior event, not entirely sure of the name, I just know it's an event promising titles to winners
    They will directly, but I haven't heard of any confirmation of that event at this point in time....

CC Candidate Master
    We have finalised the GM and IM norm for this event and oh my it is going to be a cracker of a tournament! We got Australia's newest GM playing as well as the World's youngest IM Pragganandhaa who only needs one more norm to become the worlds youngest GM!

Want to come and play in the Open? Registrations can be found here: http://lidumsaym.com/register/

http://lidumsaym.com/current-entries/

Entries
    Young Masters GM Norm
    TITLE NAME FEDERATION FIDE
    GM Adrien Demuth FRANCE 2538
    IM Anton Smirnov AUSTRALIA 2508
    IM Praggnanandhaa R INDIA 2500
    GM Moulthun Ly AUSTRALIA 2486
    IM Bobby Cheng AUSTRALIA 2483
    IM Kanan Izzat AZERBAIJAN 2473
    GM Vasily Papin RUSSIA 2458
    IM Irene Sukandar INDONESIA 2397
    IM Ari Dale AUSTRALIA 2390
    FM Chris Wallis AUSTRALIA 2383
    Average Rating: 2462

Young Masters IM Norm
    TITLE NAME FEDERATION FIDE
    IM Eric Rosen USA 2379
    FM Yi Liu AUSTRALIA 2349
    WIM Vaishali R INDIA 2329
    IM Andrew Brown AUSTRALIA 2319
    IM Andro Wagdy EGYPT 2313
    FM Patrick Gong AUSTRALIA 2286
    FM Zachary Loh AUSTRALIA 2218
    FM Lee Qing Aun SINGAPORE 2206
    FM Luis Chan AUSTRALIA 2205
    Fedja Zulfic AUSTRALIA 2135
    Average Rating: 2274

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslife View Post
    We have finalised the GM and IM norm for this event and oh my it is going to be a cracker of a tournament! We got Australia's newest GM playing as well as the World's youngest IM Pragganandhaa who only needs one more norm to become the worlds youngest GM!
    Timely organization seems to augur amazing tournament

CC Candidate Master
    For interstate players, accommodation will be very difficult to find as the Ashes cricket test is on in Adelaide at the same time but thanks to the support of local chess players we are able to provide free homestay accommodation to a limited number of players. These will be provided on a first-come first-serve basis so register as soon as possible at http://lidumsaym.com/register/

CC International Master
    If any of the Australian players want my help in preparing for the Young Masters (particularly the norm aspirants), send me an email/PM. To avoid any preparation conflicts, I won't prepare more than one player each from the GM and IM norm events. Round robin tournaments require a different approach to swiss opens and you could definitely benefit from my experience and knowledge.
    Improve your chess with a Grandmaster's direction and understanding, from $1 a month.

GM, FIDE Trainer; Peak FIDE 2517; ACF 2586. 2014-15 Australian Champion and 2017 Australian Open Champion; three-time Steiner Medal awardee. I coach at the Australian Juniors and JETS and write prolifically. The link details precisely what I can do for your chess. If you share my passion for chess and want to learn from me, here's my email: IllingworthChess@gmail.com.

CC Candidate Master
    Anton Smirnov has withdrawn from the tournament. Patrick Gong has moved up to the GM group and Alistair Cameron has replaced him in the IM group.

Entries for the Young Masters Open are also starting to come in. We still have some free homestay accommodation available for interstate players. If you would like one of these spots, enter at http://lidumsaym.com/register/.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    Anton Smirnov has withdrawn from the tournament.
    It is hard to withdraw from a tournament, Anton did not sign up for in the first place.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    It is hard to withdraw from a tournament, Anton did not sign up for in the first place.
    As we understand rumours spread quickly in the chess community, we would like to take this opportunity to provide the facts so that people are informed and can make up their own minds.

- On 2 August Fedja sent Vladimir an email inviting Anton to the tournament. The email specified conditions that an entry fee of $500 would be payable and that we could provide Anton with free homestay accommodation. The deadline for accepting the invitation was 27 August. The same conditions were offered to all norm-seekers.
    - On 3 August Vladimir replied, thanking us for the invitation and saying it is likely Anton will play.
    - On 5 August Vladimir called Sabrina and confirmed Anton’s participation in the tournament.
    - On 24 August Fedja sent Vladimir an email regarding rising flight prices as the tournament starts on the same day as the Ashes cricket match in Adelaide.
    - On 25 August Vladimir emailed Fedja with the details of the flight booked for Anton.
    - On 19 September Fedja emailed Vladimir regarding the homestay arrangements for Anton.
    - On 21 September Fedja emailed Vladimir requesting payment of the entry fee by October 1. The same email was sent to all participants of the GM and IM groups.
    - On 22 September Vladimir called Sabrina and asked for the entry fee for Anton to be waived.
    - On 27 September Sabrina called Vladimir back in an attempt to negotiate and made a reasonable counter offer. Vladimir withdrew Anton from the tournament and hung up on Sabrina.

We understand that Anton had made his final GM-norm and that the tournament was no longer aligned with his personal ambitions. However, Vladimir’s acceptance of the invitation was made unconditionally and constitutes a contract.

Had Vladimir informed us that Anton was playing in Europe in September with a chance of making his final norm, and that if successful would be seeking different conditions, we may have approached the process differently. However, we would not have taken the risk of being left $500 out of pocket.

We operate on a very tight budget, with the organisers facing the prospect of making a loss which we will have to pay out of our own pocket. We do not take an organisers fee and there is no chance of us making a profit as we put all the money back into improving tournament conditions. We put in a lot of time, energy and money purely for the betterment of Australian chess. The players in the norm groups are reliant on the participation of others to give them an opportunity to achieve their goals and to that end we are lucky that Patrick Gong has agreed to play in the GM group and that Alistair Cameron will play in the IM group.

We are pleased to provide players from WA and SA with a rare chance to play in a strong tournament and look forward to another great Lidums Australian Young Masters.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    [unnecessary quoting of long post for short reply snipped - mod]
    I do not want to comment on the legal side of the arrangements as the initial contract is probably valid, but I find the very idea that a GM is to pay AUD500 for a chance to play in a GM norm tournament a bit odd.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 15-10-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master
    Just a few but very important corrections. I did not really want to start this but once Fedja is very keen, I have to reply...
    1) On the 5th of August when I talked to Sabrina I was upfront and said that Anton plays in Europe and there is a chance that he will get a norm. I said, in that case, I wil be reasonable in negotiations. By reasonable negotiations I meant that we do not pay an entry fee. BTW, just to make a very clear comparison, Leonid was always flexible "if you get a norm, it is your choice whether you play or not".
    2) Anton gets a norm at the end of September. Without talking to us, the organizers rush (within 48 hours) to publish the post on chesschat with Anton playing and send us an email saying - "it is time to pay the money".
    3) I am not happy with such a behaviour. I call Sabrina and I am very much upfront - "there is no way in the world we will pay an entry fee."
    4) About 5 days later Sabrina calls me - they want to charge 300 dollars instead. I respond by saying - "Ok, Anton will not be playing." She responded by saying - "Ok." For me that was a natural end to our convesation. It is hard to see what else we could discuss at that point. So the statement that I hang up on Sabrina is probably at least incorrect.
    5) I chatted with most Australian GMs, Charles Zworestine, etc. Everybody thought that our responce was reasonable. Just look in the perspective, the organizers receive 1500 dollars from the Australian JCL. Now a very important question, how many Australian juniors under 18 play in the GM tournament?
    6) When I chatted with Charles he said he can find the money to cover Anton's entry fee. At that point, there was no way in the world, I could possibly trust Anton to them. They can't resolve a simple issue.

CC Candidate Master
    Without wanting to cast judgement on either side, I can understand the organisers' frustration here. For this particular GM-norm round-robin, there are a long list of requirements that have to be met (exactly 10 players, sufficient average rating, sufficient number of GMs, sufficient number of total titled players, sufficient number of foreign players, etc.). So, when inviting players to such an event, it is not as simple as saying "these players meet the requirements, and these players don't", as the requirements that any individual player must meet are conditional on who the other entries are.

When a player "conditionally" enters, it makes the organiser's job more difficult -- if they wish to give the player a chance to play in the tournament, they can only issue 9 other invitations initially. If the conditional entry decides they do not want to play, an extra player has to be found at short notice. And that extra player needs to satisfy the necessary criteria to ensure that all other players have the opportunity to pursue norms.

Fortunately, the organisers have solved this problem. Patrick is a worthy replacement for Anton in the GM-norm tournament: I am sure that he will do well. And I am sure Alistair is a worthy replacement for Patrick in the IM-norm tournament.

As for whether GMs should be charged an entry fee, I am not so sure. However I understand that the GMs in this tournament receive free board and lodging, and are eligible for prize money which can offset (at least partly) the entry fee and any travel expenses. If the tournament is run on a tight budget then it may be necessary for all players to subsidise it.

The Lidums Australian Young Masters provides valuable opportunities for young WA players to play against strong opposition and pursue title norms. I wish the tournament every success this year and in the future.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    Wish Real Chess Prodigy Praggnanandhaa will get his final GM Norm in this tournament...

The organisers have a guarantee against loss of $2,000 under the ACF's Funding Support Program (FSP).
    In their application it shows sponsorship from the AusJCL of $750.
    Interestingly in the application that was sent on 28th July it showed entry fees of $350 for local GM norm seekers.
    Yet it appears less than a week later they had increased the entry fee to $500.

It will be interesting to see the actuals when the organisers come to claim against their guarantee under the FSP.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information