Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cardinal says Catholic Church 'destroyed' documentation of sex abuse
    Feb. 24, 2019

German Roman Catholic cardinal claims the church "destroyed" documents in an effort to cover up sexual abuse that has engulfed the institution in scandal.

Cardinal Reinhard Marx spoke at a Vatican summit on Saturday, telling 190 church leaders that the harms inflicted on children in youth were the result of "abuse of power in the area of administration."

The four-day summit convened by Pope Francis aims to address the worldwide issue of sex abuse within the church. Saturday's discussions were dedicated to issues of transparency and breaking the code of silence that has kept abuse hidden.

"Files that could have documented the terrible deeds and named those responsible were destroyed, or not even created," Marx said. "Instead of the perpetrators, the victims were regulated and silence imposed on them. The stipulated procedures and processes for the prosecution of offences were deliberately not complied with, but instead cancelled or overridden. The rights of victims were effectively trampled underfoot, and left to the whims of individuals."

meep meep

Ex-pope Benedict XVI blames sexual abuse on swinging sixties

Retired pope Benedict XVI has ventured out of retirement to publish an essay blaming the Catholic church’s sexual abuse scandals on the sexual revolution of the 1960s and “homosexual cliques” among priests. The analysis by Benedict, who abdicated as pontiff in 2013, was immediately criticised as “catastrophically irresponsible” and in conflict with efforts by his successor, Pope Francis, to lead the church out of its crisis.

“Why did paedophilia reach such proportions? Ultimately, the reason is the absence of God,” Benedict wrote in the 6,000-word essay published on Thursday in the German monthly Klerusblatt, the Catholic News Agency and other conservative media. Benedict traced the start of the crisis to the 1960s, citing the appearance of sex in films in his native Bavaria and the formation of “homosexual cliques” in seminaries, “which acted more or less openly and significantly changed the climate”. He also attributed it to failures in moral theology in that era. ...

Church historian Christopher Bellitto questioned if Benedict, who turns 92 next week, was being manipulated by others. He said the essay omitted the critical conclusions that arose from the pope’s February sexual abuse summit in Rome, including that “abusers were priests along the ideological spectrum, that the abuse predated the 1960s, that it is a global and not simply western problem, that homosexuality is not the issue in pedophilia”.

“It is catastrophically irresponsible, because it creates a counter-narrative to how Francis is trying to move ahead based on the 2019 summit,” he told Associated Press in an email. “The essay essentially ignores what we learned there.”
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Ex-pope Benedict XVI blames sexual abuse on swinging sixties

Retired pope Benedict XVI has ventured out of retirement to publish an essay blaming the Catholic church’s sexual abuse scandals on the sexual revolution of the 1960s and “homosexual cliques” among priests. The analysis by Benedict, who abdicated as pontiff in 2013, was immediately criticised as “catastrophically irresponsible” and in conflict with efforts by his successor, Pope Francis, to lead the church out of its crisis.

“Why did paedophilia reach such proportions? Ultimately, the reason is the absence of God,” Benedict wrote in the 6,000-word essay published on Thursday in the German monthly Klerusblatt, the Catholic News Agency and other conservative media. Benedict traced the start of the crisis to the 1960s, citing the appearance of sex in films in his native Bavaria and the formation of “homosexual cliques” in seminaries, “which acted more or less openly and significantly changed the climate”. He also attributed it to failures in moral theology in that era. ...

Church historian Christopher Bellitto questioned if Benedict, who turns 92 next week, was being manipulated by others. He said the essay omitted the critical conclusions that arose from the pope’s February sexual abuse summit in Rome, including that “abusers were priests along the ideological spectrum, that the abuse predated the 1960s, that it is a global and not simply western problem, that homosexuality is not the issue in pedophilia”.

“It is catastrophically irresponsible, because it creates a counter-narrative to how Francis is trying to move ahead based on the 2019 summit,” he told Associated Press in an email. “The essay essentially ignores what we learned there.”
    Well, nothing can serve as an excuse for sexual abuse (in my view - it is one of the most horrible crimes of all) but on the other note - its hard to deny that ''swinging 60s'' did have an impact on morality of many. Needless to say that arguments such as ''I was part of the hippy culture'' etc should not be used as excuses in court in an effort to lighter up sentences.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well, nothing can serve as an excuse for sexual abuse (in my view - it is one of the most horrible crimes of all) but on the other note - its hard to deny that ''swinging 60s'' did have an impact on morality of many.
    That is probably true but also probably irrelevant. It was before my time, but as I understand it, a large driving force of the sexual proclivity of the 1960s was the availability of the pill. This freed women to engage without the risk of pregnancy. Such consideration is not relevant to paedophile clergymen, obviously.

I think we're passed the point of looking for excuses - there is no excuse, as you note. But we are meant to be looking for causes, to fix the problems. And ex-Pope Benedict completely avoids doing that, as noted in the final 2 paragraphs of the article I quoted.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    That is probably true but also probably irrelevant. It was before my time, but as I understand it, a large driving force of the sexual proclivity of the 1960s was the availability of the pill. This freed women to engage without the risk of pregnancy. Such consideration is not relevant to paedophile clergymen, obviously.
    The idea that convicted pedophile George Pell was a product of the 'swinging sixties' is ludicrous.

I think we're passed the point of looking for excuses - there is no excuse, as you note. But we are meant to be looking for causes, to fix the problems. And ex-Pope Benedict completely avoids doing that, as noted in the final 2 paragraphs of the article I quoted.
    I think the problem was actually caused by the opposite of liberalism. The Catholic Church, in particular, was very authoritarian, which made it much easier for those with power over young children to take advantage of them (the abuse wasn't just sexual). Society, including the Church, is much more liberal now, so the problem should start to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    The idea that convicted pedophile George Pell was a product of the 'swinging sixties' is ludicrous.

I think the problem was actually caused by the opposite of liberalism. The Catholic Church, in particular, was very authoritarian, which made it much easier for those with power over young children to take advantage of them (the abuse wasn't just sexual). Society, including the Church, is much more liberal now, so the problem should start to fade.
    Yes certainly in the case of Pell, he built a career on publicly upholding traditional sex values, as pointed out by David Marr - Brutal and dogmatic, George Pell waged war on sex – even as he abused children (think I may have linked this before).

Benedict's article certainly does have a 'ridiculous old fossil' ring to it, but who knows how many still weigh his words.

Personally I don't think it is sufficient to assume the church will change with the times; the church has to be dragged kicking and screaming to moral positions, usually.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Personally I don't think it is sufficient to assume the church will change with the times; the church has to be dragged kicking and screaming to moral positions, usually.
    The Catholic Church has changed, although slowly. However the main change has occurred in lay Catholics. They are much less willing to accept the authority of priests now - the Pill being one of the causes of that, ironically.

Still abusing. Still hiding it.

Pope Francis confirms disbanded nun congregation treated as 'sex slaves' by priests, bishops
    08/02/2019

Pope Francis has confirmed that a congregation of nuns in France was dissolved after reports they were being used as 'sexual slaves'.

On Tuesday Pope Francis told CBS News US that nuns had been, and are still subject to, sexual abuse from Catholic priests and bishops. In the worst cases, have been treated as slaves by clergy.

He said, in one case, nuns at the French Community of St. Jean were abused so badly that the entire congregation was dissolved by his predecessor, Pope Benedict.

The order was dissolved in 2005, but the reason for this was never made public. ...
    meep meep

Thread Information