Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Russian is one of the Slavic languages so clearly related to others. Furthermore, they may have been been Pre-Christian Slavic Writing.

The 9th century Bulgarian[1] writer, Chernorizets Hrabar in his work An Account Of Letters (Bulgarian: О писменех, O pismeneh) briefly mentioned that, before Christianization, Slavs used a system he had dubbed "strokes and incisions" or "tallies and sketches" in some translations (Old Church Slavonic: чръты и рѣзы). He also provided information critical to Slavonic palaeography with his book.
    Not according to my source:
    Although various people have asserted otherwise, Sokolsky notes that the Eastern Slavs apparently did not have a written language and were not widely literate. The first attempt at a writing system was developed in 862 AD by the Thessalonian Monks Cyril and Methodius. Charged by the Byzantine Emperor to bring the gospel to the Slavic population, these missionaries began by translating the Bible and other religious books into the language of the people. Cyril and Methodius, familiar with the dialect of Slavonic spoken in Macedonia, created an alphabet based on the phonemic properties of this form of Slavonic (26-28). For this reason, the ancestor of Old Church Slavonic (OCS, the oldest written form of Common Slavonic) was the Macedonian dialect (Matthews 75).

And if we're counting "strokes and incisions" as a written language, then Indigenous Australians also had a written language: "There is no written language for Australian Aboriginal People so in order to convey their important cultural stories through the generations it is portrayed by symbols/icons through their artwork."

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Not according to my source:
    Although various people have asserted otherwise, Sokolsky notes that the Eastern Slavs apparently did not have a written language and were not widely literate. The first attempt at a writing system was developed in 862 AD by the Thessalonian Monks Cyril and Methodius. Charged by the Byzantine Emperor to bring the gospel to the Slavic population, these missionaries began by translating the Bible and other religious books into the language of the people. Cyril and Methodius, familiar with the dialect of Slavonic spoken in Macedonia, created an alphabet based on the phonemic properties of this form of Slavonic (26-28). For this reason, the ancestor of Old Church Slavonic (OCS, the oldest written form of Common Slavonic) was the Macedonian dialect (Matthews 75).

And if we're counting "strokes and incisions" as a written language, then Indigenous Australians also had a written language: "There is no written language for Australian Aboriginal People so in order to convey their important cultural stories through the generations it is portrayed by symbols/icons through their artwork."
    Shall we compare efficiency of the two approaches from the knowledge management approach?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    What sort of crap GPS is that? Cheap hand-held ones are frequently accurate to less than 10 metres.
    maybe when you are walking but at 110kph and in the countryside there are blindspots.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    maybe when you are walking but at 110kph and in the countryside there are blindspots.
    Hmm...it is in countryside where GPS work well as there are no sudden ''road closures due to renovation'' etc.

Hmm...it is in countryside where GPS work well as there are no sudden ''road closures due to renovation'' etc.
    if you do a search there are 500 sites about blind spots and how the USA military are trying to eliminate them - Michael, your lack of experience shows in many facets. Be careful with your GPS in the countryside as you may mistakenly end up in an Aboriginal reserve near the Crocodile River and they playing the South Sudanese footy team
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    if you do a search there are 500 sites about blind spots and how the USA military are trying to eliminate them - Michael, your lack of experience shows in many facets. Be careful with your GPS in the countryside as you may mistakenly end up in an Aboriginal reserve near the Crocodile River and they playing the South Sudanese footy team
    You are making things sounds too complicated. You can try something as trivial as Google Maps.

You are making things sounds too complicated. You can try something as trivial as Google Maps.
    they are famous for putting backpackers up here through the national park supposed track near my home. It becomes flooded every time his royal highness upstairs decides to relieve himself and is full of snakes etc. and even maybe quicksand due to it being a swamp.

They are also put outsiders through my mate's farm supposed public road that isn't, and if they leave their vehicle to open gates or something they could be rammed by a bull etc., get bogged in the creek or have the backside of their car ripped off by the rough track. And my mate has PTSD from being in the army too long and goes really bonkers when they turn up so watch out.

Now that national park near my home was kindly donated by the local aborigines who "won" the land in a land rights case and are now the national park officers - if you were to ask them nicely they would provide you with perfect info has it has been their land since time immemorial and they don't need gps or any other faulty gadgets. But you may confuse them with Southen Sudanese and flee and get eaten by a big croc.
    Last edited by antichrist; 16-11-2018 at 12:16 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    they are famous for putting backpackers up here through the national park supposed track near my home. It becomes flooded every time his royal highness upstairs decides to relieve himself and is full of snakes etc. and even maybe quicksand due to it being a swamp.

They are also put outsiders through my mate's farm supposed public road that isn't, and if they leave their vehicle to open gates or something they could be rammed by a bull etc., get bogged in the creek or have the backside of their car ripped off by the rough track. And my mate has PTSD from being in the army too long and goes really bonkers when they turn up so watch out.

Now that national park near my home was kindly donated by the local aborigines who "won" the land in a land rights case and are now the national park officers - if you were to ask them nicely they would provide you with perfect info has it has been their land since time immemorial and they don't need gps or any other faulty gadgets. But you may confuse them with Southen Sudanese and flee and get eaten by a big croc.
    Sorry...but not convinced... anyway - its offtopic

Just before I was about to tell how I was attempting to explain to two Japanese english language students that it is full of snakes - so I was swivelling my hand along the lawn and then snapping biting them with two fingers on the legs. They still didn't get the message. It was a comedy. Eventually I managed to shoo them away without understanding.

CC Grandmaster
    So if ''white people'' would not come to Australia...would you consider a remote possibility That Australia could still be just like Andaman Islands if ''untouched'' by civilization'' (p.s. some of the islands are open to visitors...and are ''in contact'' with the world'' and its a different story altogether...people do not get killed with arrows there and know what electricity is...
    https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...370-2018-11-21

Thread Information