Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So...if not for the ''white invasion'' when would Australia become a country? would people actually start writing by now?
    About the same time as Russians, I imagine

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    About the same time as Russians, I imagine
    Huh? Russians have been writing (and publishing books) long before Australia was ''discovered''
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Huh? Russians have been writing (and publishing books) long before Australia was ''discovered''
    And the Russians were given a written language over a millennium ago by two monks. They never developed one themselves. So Ian is suggesting that, without outside intervention, both groups would have developed one at about the same time.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    And the Russians were given a written language over a millennium ago by two monks. They never developed one themselves. So Ian is suggesting that, without outside intervention, both groups would have developed one at about the same time.
    Fantastic comparison. And Russians were also given Academy of Sciences by the time Australia was discovered...and several Universities...and schools....and had writers..

Fantastic comparison. And Russians were also given Academy of Sciences by the time Australia was discovered...and several Universities...and schools....and had writers..
    I thought they were still listening to Rasputin? why don't you compare how the Russians committed mass killings amongst themselves? About how shocking Stalin was? All the injustices of the Tsars and Russian communists? The serf system? All societies have good points and bad points. After the two World Wars the European cry was to get as far as away from Europe as geographically possible - yes even to primitive countries if that need be. The whites have used nuke bombs and have tens of thousands ready - the industrial/scientific society have far greater risks than native society.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quite so. Neither people created a written language of their own, but had one imposed on them by foreigners

CC Grandmaster
    Indigenous Australians have only had writing for two centuries. So why don't you compare their literary achievements in those two centuries with those of the Russians in the first two centuries after they were given a written language? I'm aware of several important Aboriginal writers, but I've never heard of any major Russian ones in the first millennium AD.

CC Grandmaster
    Indigenous Australians have only had writing for two centuries. So why don't you compare their literary achievements in those two centuries with those of the Russians in the first two centuries after they were given a written language? I'm aware of several important Aboriginal writers, but I've never heard of any major Russian ones in the first millennium AD.
    LOL ...what a comparison once again...so basically ...as aboriginal literature is just developing...are you accepting that they are behind? If we start comparing indigenous with medieval Europe - this is best admission of being behind in development.

LOL ...what a comparison once again...so basically ...as aboriginal literature is just developing...are you accepting that they are behind? If we start comparing indigenous with medieval Europe - this is best admission of being behind in development.
    The Aboriginal life was arguable just as pleasant/unpleasant as Russian life over the comparable period. If Russian life was so great why did they have revolutions, mass killings, genocides,invasions and starvation for a thousand years? Indigenous life was much fairer than Russian life. They did not need a German to prescribe them a formula.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    So if a person is born in family with enough money to survive? shall he not get educated and get a job/business? No need after all And what about self-actualization?

So if a person is born in family with enough money to survive? shall he not get educated and get a job/business? No need after all And what about self-actualization?
    The implied criticism you are making could be inappropriately levelled at any hunter/gatherer native society. Everything has two sides, with everybody producing inappropriately we are wrecking the biosphere. Hunter/gatherers are not doing so but we are also ruining their world and we mostly don't care about it. Does morality come under your compass?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    The implied criticism you are making could be inappropriately levelled at any hunter/gatherer native society. Everything has two sides, with everybody producing inappropriately we are wrecking the biosphere. Hunter/gatherers are not doing so but we are also ruining their world and we mostly don't care about it. Does morality come under your compass?
    Hunter/Gatherer society is history...would you like to go hunting/gathering now?

CC Grandmaster
    After 200 years of having a written language, Aboriginal literature is well ahead of where Russian literature was after 200 years of having a written language. So Aboriginal literature developed far more quickly than Russian literature. Obviously, as the Russians had a 1 000 year head start, they eventually managed to catch up - it only took them an extra 500 years or so!

So why do you think Aboriginal literature advanced so much faster than Russian literature?

Hunter/Gatherer society is history...would you like to go hunting/gathering now?
    As a youngster I did some hunting and gathering it was okay. I am a bit too slow now seeing I have been retirement age for some years. We Lebs had an advantage over the Aussies in that we imported olive oil with the tall thin tins, they were excellent for catching shrimps and crayfish with. I hauled up logs that the floods had washed down, chopped them up for firewood. There was a weed growing wild that Lebs used in our pies - so we weeded our neighbours lawns. On way to early mass when the river was icy I could pick up sparrows that had frozen and fallen out of trees, we made noodle soup with them. Mushroom grew wild on cow turds after a few days rain. And I could copy my Ukrainian friends and carve chess pieces out of potatoes that I also grew or out of turnips that grew wild.

If our system breaks down due to satellites being shot down etc. join me and we will survive without a whinge, unlike how sophisticated city folk do.

The Aborigines understood nature to a much greater degree than we do so with their verbal science/nature classes they managed and survived for many tens of thousands of years. The same may not occur for sophisticated man. The Kinks sang about it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHqs8SffDo . You are part of the generation of no war, no conscription, no use of nuke weapons - that is of no real life experience which is why many things you do not appreciate.

If you lived in Russia a hundred years ago you could have a completely different view of life.

Obviously the first 200 years of aboriginal literature are not equally comparable to the first 1100 years of Russian literature.

So, as Patrick points out, the only fair comparison is the first 200 years of each. What were the major Russian literary contributions between 826 CE and 1026 CE?

Thread Information