Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Rookie

Letter from C. J. S. Purdy

I stumbled on this while browsing an old newspaper archive.
    It's from the Sydney Morning Herald of January 2, 1950.

1950-01-02-PurdyLetter.jpg

Here's the link:
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/1032476

And here's the link to the article he refers to from December 31, 1949:
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/1032397

CC FIDE Master
    Speaking of Cecil Purdy .... next Wednesday 6th November will be the 40th anniversary of Cecil’s passing. To commemorate this anniversary, and to also make Cecil’s work known to younger players, I have a special offer! I have a limited number of copies of “C.J.S.Purdy - His Life, His Games and His Writings” (the original book ... now a collector’s item) and I am happy to send a copy to anyone (preferably an aspiring young player) who emails me and asks for a copy. Email auschess@ozemail.com.au with your mailing address and a few lines as to why you would like a copy.

The book is in the old descriptive notation but is still in print (new edition coming out very soon from Bob Long in USA) and apparently Bobby Fischer described it as the “best instruction chess book!”
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC FIDE Master
    GO youngsters GO!! This is a excellent offer of a really great book. Especially the final around 100 pages with a lot of fines games.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    ………………...

The book is in the old descriptive notation but is still in print (new edition coming out very soon from Bob Long in USA) and apparently Bobby Fischer described it as the “best instruction chess book!”
    I certainly would not say the same about a few of the books that are attributed to Fischer.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 03-11-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: repair quote tags
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Note on quoting for AC - if adding bold tags you need to make sure the bold tag is closed before the start of the closing quote tag.

[/B][/QUOTE] not [[/B]/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I certainly would not say the same about a few of the books that are attributed to Fischer.
    Have you got any examples of any of those few? I only know of his main co-written book "My 60 Memorable Games" (I think I 've read somewhere that his friend and colleague
    Grandmaster Larry Evans, had some editorial involvement in it and another one with tactics "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" or something (mainly with chess positions of what I was told),
    which we had at the St Kilda Library some years ago and which I never bothered to even look at. I still have somewhere the one by Purdy, you guys are talking about here - white covers with his
    face on it but I don't know where it's gathering dust - I might dig it out from somewhere one day.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Have you got any examples of any of those few? I only know of his main co-written book "My 60 Memorable Games" (I think I 've read somewhere that his friend and colleague
    Grandmaster Larry Evans, had some editorial involvement in it and another one with tactics "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" or something (mainly with chess positions of what I was told),
    which we had at the St Kilda Library some years ago and which I never bothered to even look at. I still have somewhere the one by Purdy, you guys are talking about here - white covers with his
    face on it but I don't know where it's gathering dust - I might dig it out from somewhere one day.
    Years ago I came across one titled something like BF Teaches Chess, it was smallish and was for beginner beginners, so basic was useless so to speak.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Years ago I came across one titled something like BF Teaches Chess, it was smallish and was for beginner beginners, so basic was useless so to speak.
    that's your usual crap then, there's definitely not any of those few, and I referred to that in bold in my previous

and another one with tactics "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess"
    BTW were you serious (for a change) when you talked about re-introducing that easter egg tournament of yours.
    Any plans for the near future?
    Last edited by ER; 03-11-2019 at 10:41 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Purdy might have liked Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, because it is on the lines of a book he recommended as a starter for learners, How to Force Checkmate by Fred Reinfeld. Purdy argued that to become any sort of decent player, it was necessary to see, rather than think, because without the ability to see things in chess, players will continue to make gross blunders. Reinfeld's book trained readers to see mates in 1, 2, and 3 moves from real games. Fischer's book went from simple mates to complex, although more narrowly with lots of back-rank examples.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    that's your usual crap then, there's definitely not any of those few, and I referred to that in bold in my previous

BTW were you serious (for a change) when you talked about re-introducing that easter egg tournament of yours.
    Any plans for the near future?
    I thought the 60 games book was not written as well as other books by famous chess players pre-Fischer. Or maybe I was just too low to appreciate it. It may have been written for advanced players.

I am attempting to get a posse together to do an Easter 2020 tournament but the decent players here also go to Canberra so ?? But that never stop me before when I was a lone ranger. At Easter the only accommodation in Byron is in my backyard, basement, and balconies. I will try to post pics of a local chess freaks house where you can sleep amongst the pythons.

I just read how Purdy was born at Port Said, my mother was born on a ship off the coast of Port Said after WW1 but the ship dumped them back on shore and my mother was cursed by my grandmother forever since as they had nowhere in Port Said to stay. No inn only a stable. The pregnancy was hidden by a heavy overcoat in sweltering Egypt. As my mother was ILLEGAL to Australia due to White Oz policy so more cursings.

I just read how Purdy was born at Port Said, my mother was born on a ship off the coast of Port Said after WW1 but the ship dumped them back on shore and my mother was cursed by my grandmother forever since as they had nowhere in Port Said to stay. No inn only a stable. The pregnancy was hidden by a heavy overcoat in sweltering Egypt. As my mother was ILLEGAL to Australia due to White Oz policy so more cursings.
    Sounds like an interesting family history!

I would like to read more about Purdy, who was also highly respected by older NZ chessplayers.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Sounds like an interesting family history!

I would like to read more about Purdy, who was also highly respected by older NZ chessplayers.
    Repeating they let my mob due to Syrian genocide against Lebanese Christians by Turkey but there was a limit of two children and my mother made the third. So they turned a blind eye and she was not mentioned on any documents. So sixty years later when applying for a pension she was unknown to the govt. I am sure some of our players here from OS have fascinating stories but we don't hear from them. I had direct relos starved to death during the genocide.

At Easter the only accommodation in Byron is in my backyard, basement, and balconies. I will try to post pics of a local chess freaks house where you can sleep amongst the pythons.
    I 'd rather the pythons thank you! BTW my offer to contribute financially to a resurgence of the Easter Cup still stands. (really why don't you give it a go in Sydney instead?)

Back to the thread's topic responding to Capablanca - Fan's request in #12

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Notes. Edward Winter 26, Aug. 2018

10979. Theory and practice
    C.J.S. Purdy, writing on page 31 of the Australasian Chess Review, 27 February 1937:
    ‘Theory takes you further in chess than in any other game – but it does not take you all the way. What counts, above all, in practical play, is the ability to see mechanically and without effort all the “little combinations” that cloud the strategical issue. The master in constant practice can do this, where the amateur has to ferret them out laboriously, and occasionally misses them altogether, and then a blunder results. In tennis, cricket, etc., at least 80% of a player’s skill is purely mechanical – developed simply by assiduous practice. And in chess, although the percentage may be very much smaller – since intelligence and the ability to reason play much bigger parts than in other games – it is still quite large.’
    BTW visitors to SACA centre in Adelaide will find plenty of old chess books, various publications and magazines some of those edited by C.J.S. Purdy (*)
    It was with immense relief I was told that all those were spared by the fire which engulfed the building a few weeks ago! (**)

(*) not a lending library, read them there to your heart's content!
    (**) and so was Sam's Castle - that's for those who know the story!
    Last edited by ER; 08-11-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thanks ER ↑↑

An interesting quote. It reminds me a bit of his tied 1952 Australasian Championship match with his great friend and rival Ortvin Sarapu. Sarapu said that in this match, he was better at tactics, while Purdy better at strategy. With the greatest respect to Sarapu, who was something of a mentor to me, I think they were about equal in each department, and just did what they needed to achieve victory (only 2 draws in this 10-game match). This quote would seem to show Purdy as someone who also emphasized tactics.

Thread Information