Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Here you go ..due to drugs...I wonder if they were forced to take drugs by the global capitalism...
    I know that was definitely a pusher as well and I am highly suspicious of the other. Both tradesmen but they are picked up or dropped off by the cops occasionally . The cops tell me that my address receives many mentions in the cop shop to which I replied that nothing has ever held up against me
    Then I cracked a joke and we both laughed - wish I could charm KB the same way
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I know that was definitely a pusher as well and I am highly suspicious of the other. Both tradesmen but they are picked up or dropped off by the cops occasionally . The cops tell me that my address receives many mentions in the cop shop to which I replied that nothing has ever held up against me
    Then I cracked a joke and we both laughed - wish I could charm KB the same way
    My point is - people fail themselves in most cases rather than system fails them.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

My point is - people fail themselves in most cases rather than system fails them.
    Don't you recall from your school days that not everybody were up to it or even keen to achieve much or did you attend an elite school? When there is the next war they will probably become cannon fodder and save your precious ass so appreciate they are around.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Don't you recall from your school days that not everybody were up to it or even keen to achieve much or did you attend an elite school? When there is the next war they will probably become cannon fodder and save your precious ass so appreciate they are around.
    Irrespective of the school we go to...the biggest factor in success/failure is us!~

Irrespective of the school we go to...the biggest factor in success/failure is us!~
    Not necessarily. One of my best mates was conscripted to Vietnam and he came back a completely changed person with no ambition or much emotions. He left a good job and promotion and deserted his family. Fifty years later we still try to find him. He thought he was saving our asses. Now he could be a homeless wreck but you are putting poop on him.

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...r-cdp/11267290

Poor things...we should stop discriminating against them...let them get a job and feed themselves instead!

was having coffee with my students today...they were as entertained as I was.
    To quote the article

''Working for the Dole has taken away our dignity''
    says one of the community leaders....

Unbelievable....instead of saying thank you for being fed...he talks about dignity...Dignity should be EARNED!

P.S. The articles says the indigenous participants are faced with more penalties...but is it because of racial discrimination or because they DO NOT BOTHER TO TURN UP AT WORK?

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...r-cdp/11267290 Poor things...we should stop discriminating against them...let them get a job and feed themselves instead! ...
    I think you completely missed the point of the article: "The communities argue it unfairly applies more onerous requirements of participants — 85 per cent of whom are Indigenous — compared to the mainstream Jobactive program, for the same welfare payments." Discrimination on the grounds of race is illegal in Australia.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think you completely missed the point of the article: "The communities argue it unfairly applies more onerous requirements of participants — 85 per cent of whom are Indigenous — compared to the mainstream Jobactive program, for the same welfare payments." Discrimination on the grounds of race is illegal in Australia.
    So the fact that they are indigenous should result in different approach? The article points out that the is greater number of the Indigenous facing penalties for not complying.
    Re more onerous requirements, the article has no evidence of them having any outstanding requirements due to race/ethnic backgrounds. And if a community has high unemployment...I would first ask the community!

Also ''Working for the Dole has taken away our dignity'' statement...what would give them dignity? - money handouts?

CC Grandmaster
    So the fact that they are indigenous should result in different approach? ...
    No - they are arguing for the same approach as everyone else.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

The Marshall Plan: facts v myths

MISUNDERSTANDING THE MARSHALL PLAN
    THOMAS SOWELL, 12 June 1997

The 50th anniversary of the Marshall Plan was guaranteed to bring out of the woodwork all the shallow and noisy people who think that government programs are the answer to all problems. These people include one of the shallowest and noisiest of them all, Julianne Malveaux of USA Today and assorted talk shows. According to Ms. Malveaux, we should "try to transform nations the way we did with the Marshall Plan."

We can also "replicate the Marshall Plan at home" in our inner cities. This mindset shows a complete ignorance or disregard of history. A hundred years before the Marshall Plan, John Stuart Mill pointed out that nations often have apparently miraculous recoveries from the devastations of war because the physical destruction did not include destruction of the skills, experience and aptitudes which built the physical things in the first place. In short, what is crucial is the "human capital" needed to build or rebuild the physical things. What the Marshall Plan did was to help feed and house people in Western Europe until they could rebuild—using the "human capital" that they already had and which had built Western Europe into one of the leading industrial regions of the world in the first place.

Where that "human capital" does not exist, you can pour untold billions down a bottomless pit without making a dent in the problem. Nothing has been more common in Third World countries than rusting machinery from the industrial world, whether left over from the days of colonialism or built with foreign aid from the West. As John Stuart Mill saw in the 19th century, it is not the physical capital but the human capital that is crucial. The same thing was true even further back in history, when the Romans pulled out of Britain in the 5th century, leaving intact a physical infrastructure which they had built—but which the British, at that juncture in history, did not have the human capital to maintain.

Although human capital fits the facts better than moral melodrama, it presents no sweeping solutions for politicians to offer and no heady feeling of superiority for the intelligentsia. So look for more calls for more Marshall Plans.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 26-08-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    THOMAS SOWELL, 12 June 1997

The 50th anniversary of the Marshall Plan was guaranteed to bring out of the woodwork all the shallow and noisy people who think that government programs are the answer to all problems. These people include one of the shallowest and noisiest of them all, Julianne Malveaux of USA Today and assorted talk shows. According to Ms. Malveaux, we should "try to transform nations the way we did with the Marshall Plan."

We can also "replicate the Marshall Plan at home" in our inner cities. This mindset shows a complete ignorance or disregard of history. A hundred years before the Marshall Plan, John Stuart Mill pointed out that nations often have apparently miraculous recoveries from the devastations of war because the physical destruction did not include destruction of the skills, experience and aptitudes which built the physical things in the first place. In short, what is crucial is the "human capital" needed to build or rebuild the physical things. What the Marshall Plan did was to help feed and house people in Western Europe until they could rebuild—using the "human capital" that they already had and which had built Western Europe into one of the leading industrial regions of the world in the first place.

Where that "human capital" does not exist, you can pour untold billions down a bottomless pit without making a dent in the problem. Nothing has been more common in Third World countries than rusting machinery from the industrial world, whether left over from the days of colonialism or built with foreign aid from the West. As John Stuart Mill saw in the 19th century, it is not the physical capital but the human capital that is crucial. The same thing was true even further back in history, when the Romans pulled out of Britain in the 5th century, leaving intact a physical infrastructure which they had built—but which the British, at that juncture in history, did not have the human capital to maintain.

Although human capital fits the facts better than moral melodrama, it presents no sweeping solutions for politicians to offer and no heady feeling of superiority for the intelligentsia. So look for more calls for more Marshall Plans.
    Be careful....when discussing our lovely ''human capital''. Or else you too will be called racist .
    P.S...i think the article is very relevant to what is going on in Australia...in some communities that simply keep getting funding...

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Be careful....when discussing our lovely ''human capital''. Or else you too will be called racist .
    Yep, that's the Left's favorite go-to accusation these days. Might be a bit hard with Thomas Sowell though, heheh.

P.S...i think the article is very relevant to what is going on in Australia...in some communities that simply keep getting funding...
    Sad but true. If anything, the poorer people are hurt more by the aid, because the politically connected become wealthy without cleaning up their acts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Yep, that's the Left's favorite go-to accusation these days. Might be a bit hard with Thomas Sowell though, heheh.

Sad but true. If anything, the poorer people are hurt more by the aid, because the politically connected become wealthy without cleaning up their acts.
    Hard with Sowell? For some people sky is the limit.
    My friend who is originally from Kenya was expelled from African Community Council of some kind here in Melbourne as he was accused in...Racism (despite rather obviously belonging to the same Race). Why? Because he pointed out certain issues within the community.

CC Grandmaster
    Hard with Sowell? For some people sky is the limit. My friend who is originally from Kenya was expelled from African Community Council of some kind here in Melbourne as he was accused in...Racism (despite rather obviously belonging to the same Race). Why? Because he pointed out certain issues within the community.
    You do realise that 'African' isn't a race So what 'race' did he actually belong to?

CC Grandmaster
    THOMAS SOWELL, 12 June 1997 ... What the Marshall Plan did was to help feed and house people in Western Europe until they could rebuild—using the "human capital" that they already had and which had built Western Europe into one of the leading industrial regions of the world in the first place.
    I'm glad Sowell recognises the enormous value of government spending and foreign aid in keeping people alive! Obviously the same argument applies to Africans - you have to keep them alive so that they can rebuild.

Thread Information