Page 110 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1778
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    The message is that there is a lot of part-time and temporary work available! But we already knew that.
    For skilled workers, that is

CC Grandmaster
    The message is that there is a lot of part-time and temporary work available! But we already knew that.
    So part time/temporary is worse than no job? or better? Not to be undertaken by those currently unemployed...or fought for?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    For skilled workers, that is
    Upskilling? Learning a thing or two?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Upskilling? Learning a thing or two?
    Skilled workers are needed now, to replace those lost since pre-pandemic

CC Grandmaster
    So part time/temporary is worse than no job? or better? Not to be undertaken by those currently unemployed...or fought for?
    There's nothing wrong with part-time or temporary work. But once you lose the job - assuming you get one, of course - you're back on the dole looking for another short term job, eg:
    I wish you'd actually read the article: "In the time since, she's only managed to get temporary and short-term work, no permanent work." So she hasn't even been on the dole for the whole ten years. ...
    That was one of the major points of the original article!

CC Grandmaster
    There's nothing wrong with part-time or temporary work. But once you lose the job - assuming you get one, of course - you're back on the dole looking for another short term job, eg:

That was one of the major points of the original article!
    You are quickly in another temporary job or permanent job! You can have 3 people with the same starting point: and for 2 of them - the outcomes will be significantly different than for the 3d one. Please do not mention ''priviledge' as I've particularly highlighted same starting point.
    Do you think that State alone is responsible for people's struggles and people themselves are not? Are they not contributing? Some succeed ''against all odds'' and others do not...despite being in more favouritable position. I think the answer ''why'' is obvious.

CC Grandmaster
    You are quickly in another temporary job or permanent job! You can have 3 people with the same starting point: and for 2 of them - the outcomes will be significantly different than for the 3d one. Please do not mention ''priviledge' as I've particularly highlighted same starting point.
    Do you think that State alone is responsible for people's struggles and people themselves are not? Are they not contributing? Some succeed ''against all odds'' and others do not...despite being in more favouritable position. I think the answer ''why'' is obvious.
    I'm not sure what this word salad is supposed to mean. However continually moving from one temporary job to the next makes it impossible to make long-term plans. Which was, once again, the point of the original article.

CC Grandmaster
    I'm not sure what this word salad is supposed to mean. However continually moving from one temporary job to the next makes it impossible to make long-term plans. Which was, once again, the point of the original article.
    The point is straight forward, today - some people stay in the same job. Some -continuously moving. And some - complain about life and expect ''love and care''.

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-59067168
    So it is stories like this ....that some people are so ''delighted about'' that make me question whether giving fish instead of teaching people how to fish should even be considered?
    Entire life spent in a single council-owned property!

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-59067168
    So it is stories like this ....that some people are so ''delighted about'' that make me question whether giving fish instead of teaching people how to fish should even be considered?
    Entire life spent in a single council-owned property!
    It's disturbing that you can condemn someone as 'inferior' without knowing anything about them. But what's your alternative - force him onto the streets?

CC Grandmaster
    It's disturbing that you can condemn someone as 'inferior' without knowing anything about them. But what's your alternative - force him onto the streets?
    Based on the article he is ''very bright''. As I have not got any further information available I take it as a fact. RE alternative, what I am more interested in is: how can a person spend entire life of 67 years at a welfare accomodation? The article does not mention him to be disabled mentally and or phisically to the point of not being able to have a different life. What is the total cost of supporting hi throughout all these years?

CC Grandmaster
    Based on the article he is ''very bright''. As I have not got any further information available I take it as a fact. RE alternative, what I am more interested in is: how can a person spend entire life of 67 years at a welfare accomodation? The article does not mention him to be disabled mentally and or phisically to the point of not being able to have a different life. What is the total cost of supporting hi throughout all these years?
    Council houses are not welfare (as you can easily confirm on Wikipedia): "Council homes were built to supply uncrowded, well-built homes on secure tenancies at reasonable rents to primarily working-class people." And people can be "very bright" and still have psychological issues - Bobby Fischer, for example.

CC Grandmaster
    Council houses are not welfare (as you can easily confirm on Wikipedia): "Council homes were built to supply uncrowded, well-built homes on secure tenancies at reasonable rents to primarily working-class people." And people can be "very bright" and still have psychological issues - Bobby Fischer, for example.
    Just a reminder that he spent entire life there! And no mention of significant disability (mental or physical) in the article.

CC Grandmaster
    Just a reminder that he spent entire life there! And no mention of significant disability (mental or physical) in the article.
    So he stayed in the home he was born in - that would be not unusual in England, and is hardly proof of anything. There's also nothing in the article about him being on welfare. He may have worked all his life.

So he stayed in the home he was born in - that would be not unusual in England, and is hardly proof of anything. There's also nothing in the article about him being on welfare. He may have worked all his life.
    There's certainly nothing unusual about the English working class renting social housing.

Council homes were built to supply uncrowded, well-built homes on secure tenancies at reasonable rents to primarily working-class people. Council housing in the mid-20th century included many large suburban "council estates", featuring terraced and semi-detached houses, where other amenities like schools and shops were often also provided. By the late 1970s almost a third of UK households lived in social housing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...United_Kingdom

The Australian-style housing marker is beyond their reach. The average house price in London was 514,000 ($939,000) a year ago

Thread Information