Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Iran suspended

  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,996

    Iran suspended

    This just sent out by FIDE:

    Chess Federation of Iran suspended from FIDE membership

    Following the decision of the FIDE Presidential Board, the Iranian Chess Federationís membership of FIDE has been suspended until full payment has been received by FIDE regarding the Womenís World Championship held in Teheran. Therefore no FIDE rated tournaments can be held in Iran, no titles will be given to Iranians and that no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments. Tournaments that have already begun will not be affected.

  2. #2
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,926
    2 out of 9 players representing the World team (in the match USA vs the rest of the world to be played in July in St Louise) are from Iran. Everything is prepared - tickets, visas, etc.

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    2 out of 9 players representing the World team (in the match USA vs the rest of the world to be played in July in St Louise) are from Iran. Everything is prepared - tickets, visas, etc.
    Hopefully an exemption will be granted in that case if the matter is not resolved sooner, but I haven't seen anything about that yet.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,084
    Chess has been developing very fast in Iran...now the entire country is punished for a theft of funds by a small group (if the funds existed in the first place..but I think they probably did).
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #5
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Chess has been developing very fast in Iran...now the entire country is punished for a theft of funds by a small group (if the funds existed in the first place..but I think they probably did).
    Is there a practical alternative? The event was awarded to Iran on the basis that they would not allow thieves to run it, and if the national federation was not responsible then no host would ever have to pay debts as they could just outsource them to thieves.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Is there a practical alternative? The event was awarded to Iran on the basis that they would not allow thieves to run it, and if the national federation was not responsible then no host would ever have to pay debts as they could just outsource them to thieves.
    taking legal action against the organizers rather than punishing the entire nation may be?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  7. #7
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    taking legal action against the organizers rather than punishing the entire nation may be?
    Maybe, but in which court? An Iranian court can't be relied on to find against Iran and international courts' rulings tend not to be enforceable. It would also be expensive and slow. In any event they aren't claiming not to have a liability to pay, they just refuse to do so, so a legal finding that they have a liability takes everything back to the same point.

  8. #8
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    This just sent out by FIDE:

    Chess Federation of Iran suspended from FIDE membership

    Following the decision of the FIDE Presidential Board, the Iranian Chess Federationís membership of FIDE has been suspended until full payment has been received by FIDE regarding the Womenís World Championship held in Teheran. Therefore no FIDE rated tournaments can be held in Iran, no titles will be given to Iranians and that no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments. Tournaments that have already begun will not be affected.
    Does this mean that if an Iran-registered player wants to play in an Australian club tournament (as happened in a tournament that I ran at my club around 2 years ago) and his entry is accepted by the organiser, then the whole tournament will not be rated? If so then it is very silly. Wouldn't a more practical alternative be to just not rate the games involving the Iran-registered player, rather than punishing players from other federations?

    I am guessing that this decision was communicated to all national federations, but I just had a quick glance at the front page of the FIDE website and didn't immediately notice any article about this ruling. Would anyone care to guess what proportion of tournament organisers/arbiters would actually be aware of this ruling, or even how many Iran-registered players are aware of it? Since the announcement, how many tournaments have commenced that cannot be rated?
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

  9. #9
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    I am guessing that this decision was communicated to all national federations, but I just had a quick glance at the front page of the FIDE website and didn't immediately notice any article about this ruling.
    Yes it was emailed to all federations, meaning that each federation's president, general secretary, FIDE ratings officer and FIDE admin officer would have got it. It was on the FIDE website but appears to have now been removed as I cannot find it there.

    I am unsure of the arrangements if a new tournament is submitted that includes an Iranian player and whether this will be accepted for rating or not. Organisers should assume not until they hear otherwise.

    I am against rating games for only some of the rated players in a tournament and not all, but this is what they will soon start to do when a player whose rating is too high for the time control plays in a tournament, so they may as well do it in this case too.

  10. #10
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I am unsure of the arrangements if a new tournament is submitted that includes an Iranian player and whether this will be accepted for rating or not. Organisers should assume not until they hear otherwise.
    I don't think any organiser that I know would refuse a player entry to an open tournament because of their nationality.

    It appears "Gens Una Sumus" no longer applies to FIDE.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

  11. #11
    CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inventor of the SurstrŲmming opening
    Posts
    1,415
    Someone should check the expiry date on the FIDE package, seem they have gone from helping chess to being mold on chess with hidden toxins
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

    ..Chess is all about fear and psychology

    ..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

    ..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

  12. #12
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Prague, CZ
    Posts
    30
    These sort of govern moves done always by few individuals ruining it for the players, that is just damn sad. Hopefully, they will deal with this, since all is set and ready to go.

  13. #13
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,232
    FIDE website announces lifting of sanctions against Iranian Chess Federation.
    http://www.fide.com/component/conten...en-lifted.html
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Iran - 16 year 1st above 12 GM's
    By peter_parr in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 138
    Last Post: 29-11-2011, 08:01 AM
  3. Asian Continental Championships, Mashad Iran, May 1-10 (ACF Selections)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-04-2011, 06:31 PM
  4. Should Topalov be suspended?
    By Kevin Bonham in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •